Bass 2011 Show Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
C
colbypearson
tomriker said:
yeah we figured it was a catfish, being that color, all but 5 or 6 of the fish we caught today were on 3/8oz jigs my buddy lost 5 of my jigs! i was a little grumpy at him and told him next time he comes out he'd better bring heavier line

im stoked to get down that way and catch some nice fish

T
tomriker
be ready to be disappoined with continually catched 4-5pounders :(

C
colbypearson
tomriker said:
be ready to be disappoined with continually catched 4-5pounders :(

hopefully i can figure them out and bring up a real hawg!

T
tomriker
i tried throwing the swimbaits a bit today, but it hurts my hand to much to cast that much still, it's easier just to fling the jig out :D and hope you like to fish into nasty cover because we got tons of it

C
colbypearson
tomriker said:
i tried throwing the swimbaits a bit today, but it hurts my hand to much to cast that much still, it's easier just to fling the jig out :D and hope you like to fish into nasty cover because we got tons of it

fishing in the heavy stuff is "my thing" i will feel right at home, that might be a bad thing for the bass.

F
Finneus Polebender
colbypearson said:
fishing in the heavy stuff is "my thing" i will feel right at home, that might be a bad thing for the bass.

Never a bad thing there CP cuz you always send em back home, great to hear it is still fishin good with the cool temps nice fish there TR and would put money on it being a brown bullhead my PB had an 8 inch one in its throat. can't wait for next weekend !

K
Kevinb5688
Hey tr what pond is this. I fish a pond by corvallis called green and white and it looks just like that.

T
tomriker
not in corvallis, just a private pond in the middle of my familys farm :)

B
bassboy
Great fish TR!!! Its hard to beat an awesome jig bite in heavy cover like that!!

I got out on some private water this weekend as well, but the conditions were pretty adverse and I only ended up with 6, looks like you beat me!!!

K
Kevinb5688
I fished a 100 achre private lake near corvallis the other day and caught a ton of fish like always, caught three a little over 5 lbs. But im waiting for one at least over 6 lbs to post it as a lunker. To many 5's around here. Yet to catch one over 6 1/2 last 2 years out of this pond. 6 seems to be max with 3 1/2 lb average. Ive thrown 6 inch swimbaits, giand jigs. 10 inch power worms. All the big fish baits. I think there is to many bass competing for food. I can catch 40 fish a day and never catch one under 2lbs. Anything smaller than that is on the menu. Im going to start pulling some fish out of there. What you guys think? I should probably just be happy with catching 4-5lb fish. Want that giant too bad though:)

C
colbypearson
All you guys and your private lakes good lord i wont be able to keep up lol

K
Kevinb5688
Ya i know private ponds rock. Especially because the one i fish is the biggest man made pond in oregon. And theres five other small ponds with bass around it( strangly enough the two biggest fish came out of the smallest pond). I still like the challenge of public lakes though.

B
bassboy
In all the lakes around Corvallis (the the mid to south valley in general) it doesn't seem like there is a shortage of big fish. From private ponds I've landed 2 over 8 and lost one over 10 with an average fish being 5-6 pounds. The bigger fish go to the heaviest cover available and you need to follow them there. Often, when you hook them you have to immediately pull as hard as you can or the fish are going to get you wrapped up in the bush/tree and you are never going to land them. Just remember, if you can catch a 6 pounder in a lake there is almost always an 8 and if you can catch an 8 there will be a 10 (if there are trout stocked/some large forage species).

T
tomriker
that's why i use 50# line! got tired of losing gear and getting wrapped up around cover

F
Finneus Polebender
Talk is cheap boys show FP the money! Need some pics! lol Not callin anyone out but a pic is worth 10,000 words.

K
Kevinb5688
Ya bass boy i know what u mean. Im no stranger to bass fishin, all i do for as long as i can rember. And ive caught my fair share of beastly bass. Just in this pond for some reason the 8 lb fish arent there. Me and 4 of my friends also die hard bass anglers) have fished it for 4 years and biggest fish barely hit six. No trout or kraw dads in it though. Just bluegill. But 3 miles away in a farm pond ive got two fish over 7 and one 8. The big pond is also a old rock quary. Which ive read bass dont geat as big because of lack of nutrients (no soil) which reduces plant growth, insects, small fish and mainly bass food. But its still fun and if there is a 8 lb bass in there this year im catching it. All big bluegill baits all year. Going for size not numbers this year. I will post a couple 5's on here i caught last week in there. Just got to get them uploaded.

B
bassboy
The old quarry ponds are the best for big fish IMHO, the ones along the willamette are all loaded with big craws which the bass love to gobble up.

K
Kevinb5688
bassboy said:
The old quarry ponds are the best for big fish IMHO, the ones along the willamette are all loaded with big craws which the bass love to gobble up.

I did a lot of research and thats not what the experts say. No cover,no weeds,no depth changes = smaller fish, all problems with rock quary ponds. And there are no kraws in this pond. Im sure if there were it would help. Mission this years going to be dump a few hundred kraws in there. Lol

T
TTFishon
Isn't the Ballenger pond an old gravel pit? That's where the state record came from. Also, last year, me and FP saw some huge bass swimming in an old gravel pit near the river.

K
Kevinb5688
TTFishon said:
Isn't the Ballenger pond an old gravel pit? That's where the state record came from. Also, last year, me and FP saw some huge bass swimming in an old gravel pit near the river.

i think you guys are missunderstanding me. this is a newer gravel pond. after many years they become better. when plants grow, or more bait fish is present. this pond isn't that old i think. not much to it. im sure in 10 years it will be producing some hawgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.