2011 license question

C
CyberVic
My wife and I went to the local fishing shop and bought our 2011 licence and steelhead, etc tags, but when we did so we handed our old ones over (probably was a dumb thing to do...). So the question is, if we fish on New Year's Even (Friday), will we be fishing without a licence, or is the fact that we have our 2011 licence and the ODFW records showing that we have a 2010 licence good enough?

Or should we just play it safe and just wait to fish on New Year's Day?

BTW, new to the forum. Last year I got into fly fishing for the first time with a small 5lb, 8' light action trout rod with floating line. Did quite well with dry flies and even some small nymph fishing. Unlike last year where I bought the steelhead tag, but didn't make any honest attempts at catching any because I was still learning basic fly fishing... this year I'm hoping to actually get some steelhead with a new 8lb, 9' rod with sinking tip line ideally setup for steelhead / river fishing.

Last edited:
C
capblack
if you dont have your 2010 tags anymore, i wouldnt fish until saturday. welcome to the forum

M
mrlindeman
your 2010 tags are still good until the end of the year. THEN you get rid of them. They should have not taken your tags. Bad move on thier part. So yea dont fish until the new year comes . You will geta fine for not having tags. Welcome to our home. You will become addicted just a heads up :)

C
CyberVic
There shouldn't be anything from stopping me throwing out my line w/o a fly or hook of any kind on it right? Maybe a shot or yarn at the end to give it a little weight at the end....? Just throwing my line out on the water to get used to casting with my new rod?

Thanks for the warm welcome. I do plan on participating on these forums. I've read people's fishing reports and love seeing people catches. I'll make sure to share my successes / failures as well. ;-)

Last edited:
F
fishkiller
If you fish Friday it would be another way to take your money and probably not by choice. I dread this time of year just like tax day. I figure I took $140 worth of game compared to the $168 tag. I'm in the red.

K
Kais
Ya i gues you can't fish, but if you want to practice a fly cast, and you have a big enough yard, thats how i do it

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
capblack said:
if you dont have your 2010 tags anymore, i wouldnt fish until saturday. welcome to the forum

What he said . Its a 2011 tag . Its not 2011 yet . : )
Oh yeah , . . . . welcome dude .

troutdude
troutdude
CyberVic said:
There shouldn't be anything from stopping me throwing out my line w/o a fly or hook of any kind on it right? Maybe a shot or yarn at the end to give it a little weight at the end....? Just throwing my line out on the water to get used to casting with my new rod?

I'm confident, that if you told that to a game warden you would wind up with two things: a ticket and a fine! Casting ANYTHING onto / into the water IS fishing. Period. So, I hope that you waited until tomorrow.

Welcome to OFF! Glad to have you on board.

G
GDBrown
This reply is late, I know, but you could have bought a one day license for the 31st and been legal. It is cheaper than any fine you would have gotten.

GD