2011 Bass fishing planning

B

Bobby Brown

Anyone interested in planning for 2011 bass fishing?
I will be posting the schedule for ABA tournaments once permits are final.

I am also starting a project to get soldiers out fishing so if you know a soldier who is about to be deployed, veteran, or anyone serving their country please help us thank them with a fishing trip.

Good luck in 2011!!!

C

colbypearson

interested lets hear more, are you asking for a partner for some ABA events?

B

Bobby Brown

Shoot I'll take a soldier fishing!

If you email me some info, I will put you on the list as a volunteer.
email me at bass@fish4life.net with your name, contact info, favorite fishing locations, if you have a boat or not.
What we are hoping to do is get enough volunteers in different locations so when a soldier entry form comes in we can match it up with someone fairly close. This will help get a soldier fishing but also possibly give them a location that they can go back to and be familiar with.
Thanks for the interest. I really hope this turns out to be a good project to make a difference in 2011.

B

Bobby Brown

I'm interested in the tournament schedual...what do you mean planning?

I will be the director for Oregon South and have a partner already but I hope to get a list of boaters and non-boaters that might be interested in pairing up for an event.
We also want to smooth the tournament process out and help anyone out who may be new to bass tournaments. It is a fun and exciting sport but we have all had less than favorable experiences with the nerves of just starting out. Hopefully a few mentors will be available to help bring more people into the competitions.
ABA changed the payouts for 2011 to 1 in 3 so if 30 boats show up then the top 10 will get checks. I will also have tackle packages from some of my personal sponsors for the teams just out of the money. We will only be doing a big fish option pot so entry will be around $200 with at least an 80% payout.
It should be a good opportunity to join in competitive bass fishing and have a great time!
I will be getting photo's and video at the weigh-in and post them on my website. I experimented some this year for our bass club and guys liked watching the weigh-ins.

I am hoping to provide info early enough so everyone can make plans and save up some money to at least fish the first couple of events in 2011.
We are teaming up with Oregon North and hope to have Tenmile and Green Peter as Saturday/Sunday events but that will also mean a seperate entry fee for Saturday and Sunday. We will have more on that in the next couple of months.

I will post info on my website and on this forum when anything is final or as changes come up.

T

The Nothing

Would be great if a bass boat/live well wasn't required. i could probably rig up a 16gal live well for the kayak, but, yeah, lame.

Suppose I could fish out of the back of a boat...

Definitely keep me in the loop, i've got a few connections out there and should be able to help with some promotion

B

Bobby Brown

Would be great if a bass boat/live well wasn't required. i could probably rig up a 16gal live well for the kayak, but, yeah, lame.

Suppose I could fish out of the back of a boat...

Definitely keep me in the loop, i've got a few connections out there and should be able to help with some promotion

I have a kayak too. I actually used it when my boat was broke down this year during a Mid Valley Bass Club tournament. I didn't fish out of it because of the livewell problem so I just took pictures and video but had a good time.

There aren't any tournament rules that I know of against it as long as some kind of livewell can be used. I fished a driftboat only tournament on the Umpqua a couple different years and it was great! We just used a big cooler and two portable aerators connected to it. All fish were released alive and kickin!

If I find a boater who needs a partner from the PDX area would you be interested in fishing out of the back of a boat? The Oregon North division will have Hood River, Swan Island, and possibly another Willamette/Columbia tournament so traveling expenses would be pretty minimal.
If interested email me some contact info at aba@fish4life.net and I will work on finding you a partner. Also maybe some general info about how you like to fish (powerfishing crankbaits and spinnerbaits vs. drop shot and more finnesse) so I don't match you up with someone who just frustrates you.
I have had lots of experience out of the back of a boat and I know the right person can make a day great but opposites can make a day REALLY long!

T

The Nothing

Ah, here was the part that makes it tough for me "Boat owners must carry a minimum of $300,000 single limit liability insurance." That and it's tough to do team tourney's from a kayak (though I know Georgia Tournament Trail figured it out).

I'll shoot you an email. Thanks for the heads up on 2011!

B

Bobby Brown

I know the insurance part sucks. I go through BoatUS because I also have my guide license and need the insurance for that as well. I know there have been several guys the past couple years who would have fished but didn't want to put up the cost of traveling alone. If you are willing to share some expenses, I can probably find someone for you to fish with. Fishing out of the back of the boat now and then has really helped my bass fishing knowledge. Even guys I didn't really "enjoy" fishing with still tought me a lot. I also know sometimes just getting in the kayak alone and making all my own decisions is a great learning experience and fun as well.

Keep in touch no matter what you decide!

K

kaimuki49

i dunno about the liability matter, but i have at times used an areoator i bot from cabella's in a 5 gal bucket. its run on reg size batteries and they last a long time.

C

colbypearson

i dunno about the liability matter, but i have at times used an areoator i bot from cabella's in a 5 gal bucket. its run on reg size batteries and they last a long time.

you wouldnt be able to fit much in a 5G bucket but here is an example of how to create a livewell

*****NOTE THIS IS JUST PART ONE LOOK IN THE RELATED VIDEOS ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FOLLOW PART 2,3,4,5.....ETC.*****

B

Bobby Brown

Sometimes you just have to use what you have and a portable aerator in a cooler works great. I would agree that for any quantity of fish over 12 inches you should use something larger than a 5 gallon bucket. I do know of some Crappie tournaments that a 5 gallon bucket would work just fine. Thanks for posting the video. Lots of good info.

R

Ranger

Maybe you should actually fish in southern Oregon and you would get more than 15 boats per tournament

C

colbypearson

Maybe you should actually fish in southern Oregon and you would get more than 15 boats per tournament

agreed and all you guys ever make it to is always the same lakes.........

B

Bobby Brown

That is a good point. I almost didn't take over as tournament director because to me, "Oregon South" should be in Southern Oregon.
The reason the schedule doesn't change a whole lot from year to year is actually a few different issues.
1. Lake locations have to be large enough to handle large tournaments. (Tenmile has a 4 lane boat ramp with more than enough truck and trailer parking)
2. ODFW has rules and regs surrounding bass tournament permits that have to be followed.
3. The tournament director needs to be familiar with the bodies of water for off-limits, forest permits and/ or marine board permits, safety, fishability at peak months vs. pleasure boating congestion, etc...

I will admit that I know very little about lakes in southern Oregon and this is my first year as director so I hope to gain experience and make changes to better the circut.
It will not happen overnight but I need guys to give me input and not just blast ABA negatively and expect anything to change.
The last 4 tournament directors were FROM Southern Oregon but didn't do many tournaments down there due to low participation. I guess I figured if those guys drove all the way up here for these lakes then there must be a reason. Maybe that was an oversight on my part???