2010 dodge truck with the hemi v8

M

mosd

im curious about the hemi cause ive got the smaller 4.7L v8 motor an was wanting to get a defferent dodge truck, preferable one with the hemi. but does anyone out there have or know of anyone with the hemi v8 in there truck? if so do you/they like it? is the mpg good/alright? i know it has the power but i hear stories that the hemi gets the same mpg as the smaller v8?

thanks

C

ChezJfrey

I had a 2004 Dodge Durango with the 5.7 Hemi and yes, the acceleration and power was astoundingling superior to my 1998 Durango equipped with the smaller, non-hemi motor.

As for gas mileage, the 2004 was around 12 mpg, and so is my 1998 with the smaller motor. Also, from the specs I've seen online, the 4.7 mpg is supposed to be 12-17 (city vs. hwy) and that is the same range I got in the Hemi.

M

mosd

ya thats what im getting with my non hemi motor, the 4.7L. an towing with that motor just sucks going up hill. having to drop the tranny down to 2nd an still dont have the mojo to pull.. an from what ive heard the new hemi has the vst technology meaning when the comp senses that your staying at a current speed it will shut the fuel off to 4 cylinders so you'll save on gas... think i will get the truck with the bigger motor

W

Woodsman

I know it's not the same make, but I've got a 2010 Tundra with the 5.7 V8 and the towing power is great, gas milage (unloaded) averages about 17-18 mpg on the hwy. City/hwy mix I get about 15-16 mpg average. I would'nt think there would be a whole lot of difference between Toyota's 5.7 and the Hemi 5.7

Troutski

Troutski

im curious about the hemi cause ive got the smaller 4.7L v8 motor an was wanting to get a defferent dodge truck, preferable one with the hemi. but does anyone out there have or know of anyone with the hemi v8 in there truck? if so do you/they like it? is the mpg good/alright? i know it has the power but i hear stories that the hemi gets the same mpg as the smaller v8?

thanks

...a Hemi, oh my. You are one lucky man, my neighbor has one, the smile on his face every time I see him says it all...oh my - it is everything you hope it is and well worth the gas mileage. GO FOR IT, if you can manage it GO FOR IT.

Chuck

M

mosd

thats just it... if i can manage it, im so tempted to get one/trade up for it. my 4.7L is great if your not towing anything but as soon as ya get a load behind it, it really dont have any bottom end... i wish i would have brought my trailer/boat to the dealership and towed it with the different engines before i made a decision:think::think::think::think::think::think:

Troutski

Troutski

thats just it... if i can manage it, im so tempted to get one/trade up for it. my 4.7L is great if your not towing anything but as soon as ya get a load behind it, it really dont have any bottom end... i wish i would have brought my trailer/boat to the dealership and towed it with the different engines before i made a decision:think::think::think::think::think::think:

Do it.......do it............do it................do it:clap:

Chuck

T

the_intimidator03

Hey Ryan. The Hemi would be better suited for the towing. I can't provide exact input but you will have better retained milage towing with a bigger and more powerful engine. And with dodge's MDS (multi displacement system) that turns off 4 cyl it could be beneficial for you. By the retained milage I mean you may get say 18 unloaded with the 4.7 and 12 loaded. with the 5.7 you may get 18 unloaded but it may only drop down 15 while loaded. the engine wouldnt have to work as hard to pull the load. Those figures itself are examples not precise numbers. I do think it may be worth the step up in my opinion.