2010 Columbia Salmon Regs for Spring Chinook.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I just love this kind of stuff. I pay more now to license my boats, I pay more for my fishing license, and they kick us boater off the water ubove the I 205 bridge. You won't even be allowed to fish for shad. I go fishing to relax and not get jamed into a crowd of boats. So no fishing from a boat ubove I-205 to Bonneville. Where are all those boat going to go? My guess is below I 205. That going to be a ZOO! I guess that will make it easier for all the seals, now they won't have any competition for the fish. I wish they would just come out and say NO fishing on the Columbia and get it over with. Next year it will be no drifting on the Sandy ubove Lewis and Clark Park. :mad::mad::mad: I also like the way they word it. "This area is open to retention of adipose fin-clipped chinook salmon seven days a week from March 1-14 ...............The season will be closed Tuesday, March 9." Please pass the Jameson! I believe in conserving our resourses, I do want fish to be there for my grandkids, so if the fish run is in jeopardy just shut the whole thing down and don't charge me more and not let me fish.

CHINOOK SALMON

Columbia River from Buoy 10 to I-5 Bridge

Anglers will be permitted to fish seven days a week from March 1 through April 18 or until the harvest guideline is achieved. The season will be closed on Tuesdays, March 9, 16, 23 and 30. The purpose of the Tuesday closures is to provide possible commercial fishing days. The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, of which no more than one may be a chinook. The rules also allow retention of up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.

Columbia River from I-5 Bridge upstream to I-205 Bridge

This area is open to retention of adipose fin-clipped chinook salmon seven days a week from March 1-14 and three days a week Thursday through Saturday from March 18 – April 3, or until the harvest guideline is achieved. The season is closed Tuesday, March 9. The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, of which no more than one may be a chinook, and up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.

Columbia River from I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam

This area will be closed to boat angling for salmon and steelhead through June 15 or until further notice. However, bank angling for salmon will be permitted from the I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam seven days a week from March 1 – 14 and Thursday through Saturday March 18 – April 3. The season will be closed Tuesday, March 9.

Columbia River from Bonneville Dam to the Oregon/Washington border

This area is open to retention of adipose fin-clipped steelhead through March 15 under permanent rules. Effective March 16, this area will be open to retention of adipose fin-clipped steelhead and adipose fin-clipped chinook through May 31, or until the harvest guideline is achieved. The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, and up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.

Angling for salmon and steelhead from a boat between Bonneville Dam and the Tower Island power lines, approximately six miles down stream from The Dalles Dam, is prohibited. Bank angling is allowed in this area.

Last edited:
M
metalfisher76
Ya I was just gonna post this stuff too! It`s redonkulous!

F
FishFinger
So it's a plunking only gig above I-205 to Bonnie till June 15th and perhaps beyond..............
I..........
I.......
wow...........

K
Kodiak
I had to go look at Oh'sh** web site my self. It's gotta be a type-o. That so can't be right. Time to raise holly heck. Next year it will be 600,000 fish, boat fishing in the Columbia tuesday and wednesday from 9 pm to 3 am, and fishing only 1/2 hr before sunrise to 1/2 hr after sunset. Those guys need a cat scan....I thought I had brain issues.

T
Troutier Bassier
The first year my dad agreeed to take me springer fishing from his boat at bonnie. :(

B
boberdown
bs

bs

IS IT TIME FOR CIVIL WAR!!! LOL WHAT ABOUT THE INDIANS???? WHY DO THEY STILL GET TO GILL NET!!!! WHY DONT THEY MAKE THEM PUT IN THERE 2 CENTS IN. :(YOU THINK THEY WOULD CONTRIBUTE SINCE THEY ARE NATIVE TO THIS LAND! I DONT SEE ANY CRYING INDIAN LIKE THE GARBAGE COMERCIAL!!!! IF THEY CARED ABOUT THE FISH THEY WOULD HAVE A FISH COMERCIAL! SORRY THIS HOLE THING JUST PISSSES ME OFF!!! THANKYOU FOR THE REGS. I WAS WONDERING WHAT Was up!
thankyou boberdown

B
beaverfan
boberdown said:
IS IT TIME FOR CIVIL WAR!!! LOL WHAT ABOUT THE INDIANS???? WHY DO THEY STILL GET TO GILL NET!!!! WHY DONT THEY MAKE THEM PUT IN THERE 2 CENTS IN. :(YOU THINK THEY WOULD CONTRIBUTE SINCE THEY ARE NATIVE TO THIS LAND! I DONT SEE ANY CRYING INDIAN LIKE THE GARBAGE COMERCIAL!!!! IF THEY CARED ABOUT THE FISH THEY WOULD HAVE A FISH COMERCIAL! SORRY THIS HOLE THING JUST PISSSES ME OFF!!! THANKYOU FOR THE REGS. I WAS WONDERING WHAT Was up!
thankyou boberdown

Ummm because many many moons ago WE signed a treaty with THEM allowing them too.

B
boberdown
treaty

treaty

beaverfan said:
Ummm because many many moons ago WE signed a treaty with THEM allowing them too.

well the law makers can change the stupid laws so f the treaty and make a new one!!!

B
beaverfan
I agree with you totally I think it sucks big time. But laws can't change the treaty, we can't change the treaty unless both sides agree to a new treaty. And I doubt that happens anytime soon.

F
FishFinger
The Tribes do supplement the runs w/ hatcheries up river. Not all the non clipped "natives" are truely"native" unless being reared on reservation land gives them"native" status. Because they contribute to the stock of salmon, they should be allowed a harvest.

Irishrover
Irishrover
The Indian fish rights all steem from a series of treaties from the 1850's. The major treaty being the treaty of 1855. The fish right were reaffirmed in 1972 by the Boldt decision and by Judge Belloine. I remember how we thought Judge Boldt went way to far in his decision. Here are some links that will show the history. Those were big news stories a few years back.

B
boberdown
those are great articles! and it sounds like considering conservation they are to contribute and im not seeing that, they harvested a lot of salmon in the last few years and now its all about the buck? just want to know if they are really contributing now? because im all for saving the salmon just want to make sure they are doing there part and some one in oregon government is paying attention besides screwed up odfw.

H
halibuthitman
boberdown said:
those are great articles! and it sounds like considering conservation they are to contribute and im not seeing that, they harvested a lot of salmon in the last few years and now its all about the buck? just want to know if they are really contributing now? because im all for saving the salmon just want to make sure they are doing there part and some one in oregon government is paying attention besides screwed up odfw.
the natives contribute a great deal.. this is not a native issue, or commercial issue, its a lack of ability to enforce and patrol crooked sport fishermen, notice the crammin us into confined areas, it allows enforcement to be a greater presence. Shad fishermen have been boating kings for years, I know of 3 boats with "compartments" hidden in them. This is wrong... its unfair to control our movement so they can enforce better, take some of those new funds and hire some enforcement. The natives are not our enemies, perhaps we should all just show up on the same day at bonni with our boats and some news cameras and stir up some silt.... if ya know what I mean.... tea party anyone?

K
Kodiak
halibuthitman said:
the natives contribute a great deal.. this is not a native issue, or commercial issue, its a lack of ability to enforce and patrol crooked sport fishermen, notice the crammin us into confined areas, it allows enforcement to be a greater presence. Shad fishermen have been boating kings for years, I know of 3 boats with "compartments" hidden in them. This is wrong... its unfair to control our movement so they can enforce better, take some of those new funds and hire some enforcement. The natives are not our enemies, perhaps we should all just show up on the same day at bonni with our boats and some news cameras and stir up some silt.... if ya know what I mean.... tea party anyone?

Now you guys are speaking my language. Civil unrest? I'm in! ODFW has pushed sportfisherman to the rear for far too long. Years ago someone told me that the would begin shutting down fishing in Oregon and we would be powerless to stop it. This is precisely the methods they said they would use, close a hatchery, close a run, close a section of river, then we would be unable to fish. They are making it so we won't want to fish. What kind of angry mob would they get if they made the gill netters fish in the same manner with enforcement right there to watch what they were doing? Perhaps they should start with the biggest offenders first and worry about us later. I say we go to Salem and with a couple of thousand guys and protest right there on the capital steps...demand ODFW reform and get some news crews there. Its a direct impact to the local economies and on businesses. This is pure B.S.!!!!:mad:

S
Swamp Puppy
Kodiak said:
Now you guys are speaking my language. Civil unrest? I'm in! :mad:

x2

B
beaverfan
If I get back early enough today I will be sure and give him a call! I believe I talked to him before and he seemed like a pretty understanding guy but you never can really tell over the phone.

F
FishFinger
Mr Nigro,

I am writing to voice my displeasure with your decision to close the Columbia river above the I-205 bridge for the 2010 Spring Chinook returns. It's a flawed decision on may levels and riddled w/ unintended consequences. I won't go into them now, if you like, I'd be happy to point them out in a follow up letter.

You need to take swift action to open those waters before the 3/1 opener. The retention numbers are acceptable, just not the limitations to public water ways.

Respectfully submitted,

We'll see................................

K
Kodiak
I've left two messages trying to find out why they closed that section of river, and all I get is his voicemail and no response. Anyone get a response from this guy or is he just hiding under his desk in the fetal position hoping we all just go away?

S
stream2.5
it just says no fishing from a boat.... didn't say anything about setting plunking lineswith a sideplaner and a boat....... im thinking a big 300+ yard capacity spool and a side planer, use boat to set line in hole.... free spool to bank where boat is tied up under a fire and lean to

M
metalfisher76
This is a bad, bad idea. The stress on the Willy, Kalama, Cowlitz fish, it`s gonna be nasty.
"Shad fishermen have been boating kings for years, I know of 3 boats with "compartments" hidden in them."
Huh? Part of the problem maybe? If this was mentioned by 1 law officer at a meeting? It was detrimental. Prolly backed up by several, even.
Cryin about our rights hasn`t seemed to be working, unless I`m missin something. The fact that those sea lions will have free rain sucks. The stress factor I mentioned above, coupled with the above Bonnie pressure. Anything we can up with about the fish and environment should come first, then we can cry that they raised our license fee and cut us off. A lot of guys only buy their paperwork to go after springers in the Columbia. But again, crying about ourselves, alone, is not working.