2009 2 fly tournament

H
halibuthitman
Just wanted to give everyone plenty of advanced warning, october 10th 2009 will be the date of the second annual 2 fly tournament on the mckenzie river oregon. I believe you can get all the info on it from the caddis flyshop in salem. last year 1st place was $1800 bucks so it can be a profitable 8 hours:shock

"60% of the time.. it works every time!"

J
joesnuffy
halibuthitman said:
"60% of the time.. it works every time!"

I say this all the time, especially when i'm fishing :p

2 Fly tourney huh? I've heard of these but they are never anywhere near me. :(

If the target is trout I think I'd use an Elk Hair Caddis and a prince nymph....... on #10 tippet :p

what are they targeting?

H
halibuthitman
trout are the target species, teams have 3 members, and winning is based on 3 biggest fish by length, trout unlimited is involved so I believe it is all catch and release. each team has a judge I believe.

J
joesnuffy
that would be so cool. Am i correct in assuming that each angler only gets to take 2 flies each and if they lose the flys they are done?

I've seen guys on TV diving into the snake river becasue they were snagged up and didn't want to lose it. lol

(post # 400 WooHoo!)

R
redhawk50
Yah I saw this advertised last year and it is you only get two flies and if those are lost you are done. Still can fish but not for prize. It looks like fun. Check your knot a lot I bet!

H
halibuthitman
revision to previous post

revision to previous post

So I got the whole skinny on this,

entry is $300 per person with two man team, entry fee includes the guide and boat on full day drift, the guide is your judge.. each fisherman chooses two flies in the morning, they can be the same or different, but thats it when they are gone they are gone... leaders tippets hook size and what-not are at the disgression of the fisherman.
I did the yakima river one fly along time ago, and my brothers and I did it for fun all the time. I have found myself chest deep in freezing water and halfway up a tree recovering ants and stonefly nymphs, this takes fishing to a whole new level, most of us don't protect our flies or worry too much about picking a fly becouse we have lots of flies and tons of time, this comp changes everything and really puts an interesting twist on things.... Im gonna do it for sure!!!:dance::dance::dance:

J
joesnuffy
$300 per person is a little steep but at lease you get the guide for a full day. I'll do one some day.

Definatlly want to do 4 differant flies between the 2 anglers and lots of checking of knots and tippet where / wind knots.

W
wrestlerstud32
is there a website?
thanks

H
halibuthitman
wrestlerstud32 said:
is there a website?
thanks
go to the oregon chapter of trout unlimited website.