20 lb Beauty-Davis Bar

M
Mmfh
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to share my excitement from yesterday's catch. I've been hearing that the Columbia was so full of boats you could almost walk across the river on the boats.

Water very rough from everyone running back up river that a small boat would be tossed around like crazy.

Went up yesterday and their really wasn't that many boats on the Columbia, Maybe 50 or so. My buddy and I worked that area for about 2 hours when we had fish on!

Very Pretty 20 lbs of Spring goodness, Last nights dinner was Awesome! Can't wait to do it again!
Get out there and get one! :D

Mm

H
Herefishyfishy
I was out there yesterday too (Orange 15 ft) and it was so different than Sunday, it was great! We didn't get a bite, but way to go to you! I could sure use some advice if anyone is willing to share. I've been using a spreader with about 3' to a 10oz dropper then about 3' to one of those plastic, smaller uv spinning flasher, then another 3' to my plug cut herring. I drop it down to the bottom, crank it up a couple of turns and start trolling. One thing I wonder about is even dragging 2 buckets since I don't have a trolling motor, just my 35hp, is I'm still going a little faster than everyone else seems to be going, could this a reason for not getting any bites in about 14 hours worth of trolling?

I think this would be considered hijacking a thread, sorry about that. Congradulations Mmfh! This is your thread, your spotlight, way to go!

Last edited:
M
Mmfh
You know I think I may have seem you out there. Orange boat sounds familiar. We were in a blue and white Glastron tri-hule.

Our gear was setup a lot like yours but we were going pretty slow. Just about as slow as we could get. 8 hp kicker motor works nicely for that.

All the time we were out there we only saw one other keeper caught and another guy had something very small that he threw back. Fishing wasn't exactly hot yesterday and we feel lucky that we were able to get such a nice one in the boat.

Put your time in and try to go as slow as everybody else is going. Speed can make a big difference. Maybe you can get a trolling plate to bolt onto your engine? They do a good job at slowing you down.

Thanks for the Congrats!
Good Luck!

Mm

H
Herefishyfishy
Thanks for the info, I just talked to a guy at work who has a trolling plate he is going to sell me! After almost a year I am at: Salmon O/ Steelhead 0/ Keeper sturgeon 1- were talking going after them hard, my time has got to be coming!

M
Mmfh
I'm jealous of your sturgeon! Over the years I've tried for them but have yet to be able to keep one. I love the meat just about any way its cooked but so far sturgeon/0.

You slow that thing down with a plate and I'd like to hear how you do.

Maybe I'll see you out there. Probably going out again on Thursday (Tomorrow)

Good Luck!

Mm

B
bigdog
Nice work all the threads on here with people getting in to springers is starting to make me twich and shake :lol:

T
Thuggin4Life
Way to go man! Its fun out in a little boat. I bet the weekdays its not a zoo so bad.

W
wormosa
would you take your boat out there? reason i ask is i have a small boat and i want some salmon.....

T
Thuggin4Life
Oh yeah buddy i did take it out you must have missed my posts. There are some in the columbia and some in the salmon section. I have my own report. I forgot how big you small boat is i was glad I wasn't out in my last small boat but I would have done it but would have been a bit harry. All you guys talking about eating fresh salmon is driving me nuts. sorry to hijack so why no pic?

W
wormosa
well i have a 12ft'r like your old one lol.... is there anythin special i shoud have?

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah, just a pair. And all the fishing gear to catch a big one. I would go with someone though it helps having the extra weight in the bow.

M
Mmfh
When I went out it was with my neighbor in his 14' tri-hule, the day we went it wasn't bad at all out there but he told me the Wednesday before it was a zoo. Water was so rough that he was constantly taking on water from the large waves coming from all the boat traffic heading back up river.

Of coarse it would be nice to be in one of the 20' North Rivers with heat and a roof, but what fun is that :) If you're not cold and tripping over stuff that its not really fishing, right?

Run what you brung I always say!

Mm

T
Thuggin4Life
I prefer to be the guy in the little boat. It makes it that much better when you catch something. Especially when there is a guy in a $40000 boat right next to you getting skunked.

M
Mmfh
Thuggin4Life said:
I prefer to be the guy in the little boat. It makes it that much better when you catch something. Especially when there is a guy in a $40000 boat right next to you getting skunked.

Its fun to make the guys with all the money jealous, but I don't care what boat I'm in as long as I'm the one bringing um in!! :D:D

Mm

W
wormosa
i hear ya bro.... it just means us lil guys have more money in our pockets and no payments !!! what a simple life

W
wormosa
yeah i plan to take someone with me, thanks for all the info bro, i read you past posts as well,