20 days and counting...

A
adambomb
Opening day of trout season for select rivers and creeks is only 20 days away now. Anybody else have the 24th all planned out yet? I'm going up to Butte Creek and Abiqua Creek, road conditions permitting. Hopefully I'll be coming home with 4 nice cuttys for the grill:D

B
bigsteel
oh yessssssssssss i can't wait....upper deschutes for me.......butte creek is definitely on my list

T
Throbbit _Shane
Im camping at Hyatt Lake the 24th, the next day ill goto Howard Prairie and maybe Diamond if its unfroze by then. I can't wait!!!

E
eggs
I am going to the Cancer Fish OFF...

troutdude
troutdude
It's gonna be Olalla Reservoir for this dude.

Hoping to help my 3 year old great niece, catch the first fish of her little life!

S
skunk
Hey adambomb, where on butte do you fish? i tried up above the falls and didn't find anything last yr. I have had success on abiqua down near the residential area at pulloffs but even had someone try and chase me off, even though I wasn't on private. Any suggestions? thanks

A
adambomb
skunk said:
Hey adambomb, where on butte do you fish? i tried up above the falls and didn't find anything last yr. I have had success on abiqua down near the residential area at pulloffs but even had someone try and chase me off, even though I wasn't on private. Any suggestions? thanks

I have never fished either creek, so you might actually be able to help me!. Keep in mind that both of the creeks are only open ABOVE their respective falls. My interpretation of the regs is that both creeks open to trout fishing and retention above the falls as of 4/24. Being that the lower sections are not listed, they fall under the general regs for the willamette unit. Who ever tried to run you off may have felt that the creek was closed below the falls. What were you using last year?

S
steelhead_stalkers
bigsteel said:
oh yessssssssssss i can't wait....upper deschutes for me.......butte creek is definitely on my list

I dont think the upper deschutes opens until May 24th a month after the april opener. Wickiup and the other lakes will be open the end of the month though! :)

S
skunk
adambomb said:
I have never fished either creek, so you might actually be able to help me!. Keep in mind that both of the creeks are only open ABOVE their respective falls. My interpretation of the regs is that both creeks open to trout fishing and retention above the falls as of 4/24. Being that the lower sections are not listed, they fall under the general regs for the willamette unit. Who ever tried to run you off may have felt that the creek was closed below the falls. What were you using last year?
c
Yeah, that's what I interpreted also. We were fishing below the falls after the 'official' opening for north willamette area with is end of May. I only fly fish for trout, I'll use any method for other fish, but really just like fly fishing for trout. We had good success below the falls on the Abiqua for 10" trout, I'm thinking they were brookies. Butte creek above the falls produced nothing for us nor for the one other fisherman we ran into. Not saying there aren't any, just didn't locate any. Bead head nymphs were the key on Abiqua.

G
Growbug
Count me in for a trip to Butte Creek.

B
bigsteel
steelhead_stalkers said:
I dont think the upper deschutes opens until May 24th a month after the april opener. Wickiup and the other lakes will be open the end of the month though! :)

oh sh!t,,youre right it is,,,,time to rethink my trout opener plans

O
oldhippie
Wickiup for big browns!

N
nimzrock
Ill be dreaming of fishing , as I will be in a tux . I got ordained online and am officiating my stepdaughters wedding ceremony the 24th. " Let them fish now or forever hold thier peace "