2 wt fly rod?

R
rainbowfisherman
Does anyone have a 2 wt? Im wondering if i should get one. If so what brand/model

Thanks
-Rainbowfisherman

H
halibuthitman
I have a walton powell hexograph with a 2, 3, 5 wt tips, if you fish brookies, sunfish or stocker trout they are quite a blast... but if you lay into a native in the 3+ range you are in for a fight and possibly a broken tip... I would buy a 3 wt and fish double taper on it, it seem to me the 2 wt is too weak and shooting lines load a little funny on these rods... great for spring creeks or any clear water situations.

M
Markcanby
I am looking at getting a 4wt cause the all the creeks around here are full of 6" trout. Gw Grigg has some with reels under 50$ I wouldnt go below 4wt though never know when you will a 10'' an snap one of those twigs. The Griggs are Im6 blanks so they are very slow action I bet a 6" cutt could double one.:lol::lol:

R
rainbowfisherman
is gw grigg a local shop?

R
redhawk50
GW Grigg is located in Canby I believe. I am trying to convince myself it would be worth buying a nice 7.5-8 ft three weight that is 5 pieces so I can attach it to my backpack whenever I go hiking. Two weight seems kind of silly to me. It is a lot more interesting to catch a fish on 4wt vs a 6wt so I couldn't imagine a 2wt.

R
rainbowfisherman
well i held a 2 wt today in a store and it seems like it would sure let a 8 inch fish put up a fight...i Already have a 5 wt so a 4 wt seems like it wouldnt be the best buy for me.

H
halibuthitman
just a thought, it looks like your looking for a different fight and feel from your flyrod, have you considered a 4-5 wt glass ( like an old fenwick ) or even a bamboo rod? these fight and cast completely different, and don't quite have the backbone of a conventional rod, The finest rod I ever fished with was a 5wt Hardy... I miss it with all my heart.... hard times and a babey sent it on its way.... prioritys, I will own another. And this is just my very own personal opinion, glass and bamboo rods are better than the IM family in the smaller shorter rods.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
oops double post

R
rainbowfisherman
Well i get to fly fishing around local stocked ponds and lakes so im looking for a rod that will make those 10-12 inchers feel like 16-18 inchers haha. I also get to fish a river that has a lot of 6 inch cuttrought and rainbows. So im guess i am just looking for a really light rod.

M
Markcanby
If thats the plan a 4wt glass would rock your world. Grigg does glass you might want to look last time I was there he had a bunch of prototype for cheep.

R
rainbowfisherman
Thanks everyone i will look at both the links!

R
rainbowfisherman
Im mailnly just looking for a rod that will give 12 inch stockers a great fight...i already have a 5 wt so i know i can handle big trout fine so i want something very small but a lot of you say 2 wts are just tooo small but...For hatchery and small native trout is it irrelevent???

C
CFishRun
I just purchased a 3wt 8' 3pc by Reddington on the cheap. It's a nice little package that can deliver a boat load of line any where you even think to put it. As soon as I picked it up it felt like an extension of my own arm. As for the fight I don't feel liked I'd be disappointed anchoring up into a 16" trout on any lake or even a 14" trout on any river. Play the fish. I haven't yet hooked into one that big but I'll let you know when I do. I think everyone with in a mile of me knows when I've hooked into a good one. hahaha.

My pal in Michigan uses a 9' 5wght for Kings in the fast flowing Grand River. His success rate is almost double those with much stouter gear. Food for thought.

Good luck and enjoy the decision.

B
brookie47
I`ve fished with a Sage Light Line 3weight 7ft 9in for years. It is the best rod I have ever fished with. It is awesome for dry fly fishing. I have even bounced weighted stoneflies on the deschutes with this rod, not easy but fun hooking into the big rainbows. Excellent fishing some of the small creeks for native cutts. They dont make this rod anymore , maybe you could find one online etc....GET A 3 WEIGHT and have fun.

L
Lostinthemix
I have a 2wt sage and I love it, fun little rod. I havent fished it down here but when I was in kodiak I fished it for dollies a lot, mucho entertainment.
Jr.

F
Fish Dawgs
if you down-size your rod, do you have to do the same for the reel too?

R
redhawk50
You would probably have to downsize your line unless you just go one down you probably could get away with the 4wt line on a 3wt rod. Reel, it depends on what you got. I have a 6wt and a very small reel and could probably get away with using the same reel just a different spool to hold the lower line. But I wouldn't want to use my steelhead reel which is an 8/9wt on a 3 or a 2 wt rod. To much weight and bulk I would say.

L
Lostinthemix
I'd prob buy a cheap little reel for a 2wt. I have Ross Gunnison reels for all of my rods but it's a little overkill for the rod(my 2wt) but I love those reels I have them on all my rods except my sage rpl+ 5wt which I have a billy pate trout on (kinda heavy and isn't the most balanced rod with it on there but I really wanted one so I got one) But when I was buying all those rods and reels I was still commercial fishing in alaska (which I'm going back to I dont like it down here the whole square peg round hole thing,nothing personal)and making crazy money,nowadays if I was shopping for a reel for a 2wt I'd prob just buy a cheap reel with a click drag and be done with it, it's pretty much just holding the line anyways. I have caught a few pink salmon while chasing dollies with that rod(the 2wt sage) and I'm glad I had a lot of room to work to say the least. I tried the 0 wt sage when they first came out both the rods one with the detachable reel and the one where the reel was part of the rod, didn't care for either one of them really there's just nothing there. If I sound biased to sage, I am kind of, a friend of mine owns a sporting goods shop in kodiak and happens to be a sage dealer(always had 50-60 sage rods on the racks and would let me take them out and try them before I bought them or wanting my opinion on them but this was 6-7 yrs ago since I left there.) and I always bought my rods and reels there. Anyways good luck with the 2wt, I dont think you'll have any regrets just realize the limits of the rod and you'll be fine, just dont think you'll be punching far into any kind of wind lol, fun rods.
jr.