2 strokes and fouled plugs...

K
kwikfisher
I have an 1983 40hp suzuki 2 cycle and after say 4 hrs of trolling, the plugs are looking fuel and or oil fouled. The engine has very few hours on it dispite it's age, so l don't think the rings are shot. A compression test may be in order. As far as the fuel oil mix, I'm doing 50-1 which is correct. Maybe fuel richness, plug heat, engine not hot enough ie thermostat? Any old knuckle busters out there?

P
Pni_fisherdude
I would say your mixture is set to rich. Turn your mixture adjustment screw all the way in then back out 1/2-1.5 rotations and see what it does

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

D
digital0ne
We have big issues on our Cabrea30 with low speed as well. Running SeaFoam with the fuel mixture seemed to help everything out a lot.

D
DrTheopolis
Very important, which you probably have covered already -- if you use leftover fuel, make sure to mix it up very thoroughly before reusing it. The oil settles to the bottom of the tank.

Been many years, but I was That Guy once.

D
DirectDrive
Normal.
Motors of that size do not like to troll.

Solution :
Get a kicker.

K
kwikfisher
Normal.
Motors of that size do not like to troll.

Solution :
Get a kicker.

At $4.50 for a pair of sparkplug every few trips, I may just try the tuning first....

rogerdodger
I don't think that old 2-stroke is ever going to be good for trolling....

D
DirectDrive
At $4.50 for a pair of sparkplug every few trips, I may just try the tuning first....
If you can get it to troll, Suzuki has a chief engineer job waiting for you.

K
kwikfisher
If you can get it to troll, Suzuki has a chief engineer job waiting for you.

Maybe the friends and families of the multiple salmon I've already caught will pay me not to keep trolling my suzuki as is?