2 strokes and fouled plugs...

K
kwikfisher
I have an 1983 40hp suzuki 2 cycle and after say 4 hrs of trolling, the plugs are looking fuel and or oil fouled. The engine has very few hours on it dispite it's age, so l don't think the rings are shot. A compression test may be in order. As far as the fuel oil mix, I'm doing 50-1 which is correct. Maybe fuel richness, plug heat, engine not hot enough ie thermostat? Any old knuckle busters out there?

P
Pni_fisherdude
I would say your mixture is set to rich. Turn your mixture adjustment screw all the way in then back out 1/2-1.5 rotations and see what it does

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

D
digital0ne
We have big issues on our Cabrea30 with low speed as well. Running SeaFoam with the fuel mixture seemed to help everything out a lot.

D
DrTheopolis
Very important, which you probably have covered already -- if you use leftover fuel, make sure to mix it up very thoroughly before reusing it. The oil settles to the bottom of the tank.

Been many years, but I was That Guy once.

D
DirectDrive
kwikfisher said:
I have an 1983 40hp suzuki 2 cycle and after say 4 hrs of trolling, the plugs are looking fuel and or oil fouled. The engine has very few hours on it dispite it's age, so l don't think the rings are shot. A compression test may be in order. As far as the fuel oil mix, I'm doing 50-1 which is correct. Maybe fuel richness, plug heat, engine not hot enough ie thermostat? Any old knuckle busters out there?
Normal.
Motors of that size do not like to troll.

Solution :
Get a kicker.

K
kwikfisher
DirectDrive said:
Normal.
Motors of that size do not like to troll.

Solution :
Get a kicker.

At $4.50 for a pair of sparkplug every few trips, I may just try the tuning first....

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I don't think that old 2-stroke is ever going to be good for trolling....

D
DirectDrive
kwikfisher said:
At $4.50 for a pair of sparkplug every few trips, I may just try the tuning first....
If you can get it to troll, Suzuki has a chief engineer job waiting for you.

:)

K
kwikfisher
DirectDrive said:
If you can get it to troll, Suzuki has a chief engineer job waiting for you.

:)

Maybe the friends and families of the multiple salmon I've already caught will pay me not to keep trolling my suzuki as is?

Top Bottom