2 rods/Fee increases

B
beaverfan
Looks like next year for an extra fee we can use two rods in lakes and reservoirs. There are also fee increases across the board.

G
GrillMaster
About time

About time

It is about time the state granted us the right to use an additional rod. $15.00 is fine by me, life is expensive and the fun things in life are not free.

GM

S
SNDSLGR
I dont see why not, still the same bag limit.

I often wish I could fish for bass/carp/crapie from the bank when I am Sturgeon fishing, just catch-release for fun.

B
beaverfan
Ya I really like that I will be able to target multiple species. I'm glad they stepped up and are finally going to start offering it.

O
osmosis
it is for lakes and reservoirs only so that cuts out sturgeon fishing for the most part. not a bad idea though, so folks can plunk bait and run a spinner at the same time when the stockers arent biting well

A
Anyfishisfine
It will increase the pressure some, but most people won't pay for it, and they can always use the extra money to dump more fish in.

Some fish like Crappie they recommend using 3 or 4 poles just to figure out what they are biting. Some of those boats look like spiders with only 2 guys fishing.

So is there a point where they raise fees to the point they are making less money because it makes some folks decide to hang it up?

Last edited:
G
GrillMaster
Good question

Good question

I wondered that my self, when anglers stopped buying the Halibut tags they put them with the Sturgeon tags, then when that didn't work well they bundled them all together. Now we have Salmon/Steelhead/Sturgeon/Halibut plus crabs grouped together for one low fee:lol:. There will come a time when the masses will just take there chances on not buying any license at all, not me mind you. I think for the price of a normal angling license being able to fish all year long is well worth the money, so another $15.00 for an extra rod - well for me it is a no brainier. I fish mainly on lakes and res any way, the rivers take far to much concentration for more than one rod. Looking forward to the new regulations.

GM

A
Anyfishisfine
One thing I have to disagree with in the article is the idea people need to fish to put food on the table. Pound for pound the fish we bring home might as well be hand-massaged Kobe beef after you add up all the tackle, gas, boats, park fees, etc that it cost you to get that fish.

Bass Man
Bass Man
I'm all for it

I'm all for it

beaverfan said:
Ya I really like that I will be able to target multiple species. I'm glad they stepped up and are finally going to start offering it.

Ditto to what beaverfan said...I usually carry a couple rods with me with different set-ups so this will be helpful and worth the $15:clap::clap:

M
marshworm
The tackle mfg's gotta be:dance: over this one!!

C
chris61182
Anyfishisfine said:
One thing I have to disagree with in the article is the idea people need to fish to put food on the table. Pound for pound the fish we bring home might as well be hand-massaged Kobe beef after you add up all the tackle, gas, boats, park fees, etc that it cost you to get that fish.

In my opinion, that's a very dangerous assumption to be making. Not everyone fishes with a boat, lamiglass, and shimanos. A lot of people have a $30 shakespear combo, a jar of power bait, and some hooks. To those people this fee raise is going to be down right prohibitive.

The rest of us, well yeah, we'll bitch and moan about it on here, but when it's January 1, 2010 you'll see me in line at BiMart getting my new license fee increase and all.

J
joesnuffy
Talk about bad timing on raising prices but whoe didn't see it coming? This was an interesting snippit. I'm glad my pontoon is only 9'. We'll see how they screw us on this one.

Speaking of watercraft, most boat owners will be required to buy a $5 permit to help fund new check stations to inspect for aquatic invasive species such as Zebra mussels.

House Bill 2020 provides “a person may not operate a manually propelled boat that is 10 feet or more in length or a motorboat on the waters of this state without first obtaining an aquatic invasive species prevention permit from the State Marine Board.”

I'm going to be first in line to get my "second pole" license. I'll have to learn to fly cast better with my left hand though :p :think:

Last edited by a moderator:
S
SmallStreams
Anyfishisfine said:

It's best to never add up the costs of a hobby, but, for posterity here's what a typical year's worth would look like for me with the fee increase:
$32 license
$72 fuel [6 trips at $12 gas/trip = $24 split with fishing partner]
$12 snagged lures
------
$116 per year means around $10 per wild trout

So each trout is about the same cost as they'd be in a restaurant.

Considering that the rod & reel are "vintage" (1970s), it's fair to figure those costs amortized to zero.

More fishing would mean more fuel used, so the license fee would diminish as a percentage of the costs, but snagged lures would increase. Fuel is obviously the limiting factor in driving down the cost per fish, so if home was closer to fishing access or more fish were caught each trip, the costs are much lower.

Regarding poor people incurring a hardship, I believe the minimum wage in Oregon is close to $8/hr, so it means they'd have to work 1-1.5 extra hours to pay the fee increase. Or a little over 5 hours total out of the ~2,000 work hours available in a full time job. Or... collect 650 soda cans (13 per week).

That brings up the question of if you're poor, can you afford to fish in healthier water? After all, ODFW acknowledges the pollution in the Willamette and Lower Columbia affecting people who consume fish from those waters.

The minimalist manual boat is going to add $100-200 in costs per year just to pay for the boat, storage/transport, etc. [example: the kayak I just ordered is $300 plus $425 <gack!> for the roof rack to transport]. A power boat adds even more. Going by my figures above, it means you have to catch twice, maybe three times as many fish to make it pay... that seems a reasonable tradeoff, provided one uses the boat and doesn't let it sit & rot.

A
autofisher
Algebra Anyone?

Algebra Anyone?

Not only is my head going to explode from all that information, but when you break it down in the numbers like that, seems like my wallet's just going to deflate faster than I can take the air out of a raft. I think it's going to be good in some places. Just wait till someone takes thier kid up to Detroit and there are not only 50 people up there fishing, but also 100 lines in the water. That's the only real downside that I can see.

K
koboabe
joesnuffy said:
Talk about bad timing on raising prices but whoe didn't see it coming? This was an interesting snippit. I'm glad my pontoon is only 9'. We'll see how they screw us on this one.

O no... I just bought a 10.6' toon
does this mean I have to be inspected before each launch, or is it a one time license?

K
koboabe
So I called the Marine board and they were not too pleased that I already had questions about the new regulations.

I was told that no one has been briefed yet and that Randy Henry is spear-heading the Boat inspection license. I was transferred to his ext, but he didn’t answer.

It seems odd that people in 10' + yaks, toons and canoes would be required to subsidize the inspection costs of other boaters.

If they require a 10'+ craft to be inspected will it make it illegal to launch without a boat ramp?

Also are they going to have an inspector at every boat launch in Oregon?
I doubt it...
What is going to happen if the inspector doesn’t show up? Does everyone have to abort on the planned float? Will it be illegal to launch the craft, even if you are sure that you are not hosing any unwanted critters?

I thought they already had penalties in place for boats that transfer invasive species.
seems like they should educate people on the harmful effects of Zebra Mussels and not slap everyone with an un-needed inspection of small crafts and fee.

S
SmallStreams
Good questions! Go get'em!

I don't think the major inspections will be at boat launches... more likely they'll happen as you cross state lines with a vehicle, much like when California asks you what fruit is in your car when you cross their border.

Of course I'm not in the loop, so my conjecture is merely wild speculation.

J
joesnuffy
Well I hope you left a message and told him to post his responce on here......

G
GrillMaster
Numbers

Numbers

I am old enough to understand the numbers game, here is how I see it. If the total cost to me for one year of angling with my 15' boat is $247.00. All that means is I must fish more to get the numbers down to an affordable level, so if I fished 67 days last year this means I must fish a minimum of 113 days next year to come out on top. So be it, it shall be done. You can make the numbers say what ever you want them to, 365 (days)divided by 247 (cost for the year) is $1.47 per day to fish in the state of Oregon with two rods; I don't buy a Salmon tag so I do save money there.
It just doesn't seem like a poor investment to me, seems very reasonable; I am not a native to this state so I see it a bit differently than most. Where I come from the cost would be quite a bit higher and the pressure would be infinitely higher. I truly love this place.

GM

A
Anyfishisfine
The Kayak/Canoe fee was coming, and that's really what it is. I read somewhere that in Oregon the purchase of kayaks and canoes has outstripped the purchase of power boats, and that a lot of the infrastructure going in is to support non-motorized craft. As an owner of a 17' canoe it sucks, but I do see a ton of canoe and kayak friendly facilities going in that I plan on using.