2 months and counting, what do I need?

F
Flapslapper
As I stated before, I am moving back to the NW (Vancouver WA area). My gear consists mostly of local-specific stuff; med-heavy baitcaster w/20lb braid on a 7' rod, and med-heavy spin w/12lb XT Big Game on a med-heavy rod. I have a few spoons and deep divers for Lake Michigan salmonids, #5-#7 bucktail spinners for toothies, lipless shad patterns for Fox River smallies, and soft plastics for bucketmouths. I had a lot more, but one season of river fishing here can really make room in a tackle box.

What are my most basic choices for PDX/Couv? I'd like to get a few Koppers Live Targets (shallow bluegill pattern) for one last musky hunt before I leave here. They have proved to be the most effective crankbait I have ever used for all species, but at about $15 each, it had better be a worthwhile investment. Will they play well on the Columbia and Willamette?

What about wallys on the Columbia? Are they common around the Interstate Bridge? What should I expect and plan for?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I am certainly no expert so the best advice I can give you is to check the archives in the sections of interest. There are so many choices it will make your head spin. I have no idea whether it would be better, price wise, to wait until you get here to buy your gear or get it back there. You are definitely going to love it here once you start exploring and become acquainted with our waterways.

H
hawgcaller
There are good bass opportunities around, but once you get chrome fever it is over. I would wait to come out here to buy gear, means how you posted in the steelhead forum I am guessing that is what you want to target? Pretty much all of the top end salmon and steelhead rod manufacturers are located here in the good ol NW. Definitely a great idea to go through old threads, dig around there is great info. The best way for a newb I would imagine is to get in good graces with a fellow OFFer and see if you can't get shown the ropes.

C
ChezJfrey
hawgcaller said:
There are good bass opportunities around, but once you get chrome fever it is over.

LOL, ain't that the truth! Though I notice your avatar still has you holding a bass, so it looks like you haven't quite sold your soul just yet ;)

H
hawgcaller
ChezJfrey said:
LOL, ain't that the truth! Though I notice your avatar still has you holding a bass, so it looks like you haven't quite sold your soul just yet ;)

Honestly, I get lazy and don't know much about computers, lol. I still enjoy a quality ditch pickle once in a while. I went 3 or 4 times early this year in march and got an 8lber and it was over after that. One good bass a year will keep the rust off, lol.

And there you go chez, there is a steel for ya, lol.

Last edited: