2-9-11

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hit up a few spots along the Clack yesterday - started at the mouth of Eagle Creek and worked downstream from there. Tried bobber & jig, pink worms, and hardware - nada, zip, zilch. No fish seen rolling, or holding. I fished slow water, fast water, deep water, shallow water... I didn't see a single fish in the shallow stuff, didn't get a bump in the deep stuff. I tried fishing the whole water column from just above bottom to within a foot of the surface and got bupkiss :(

Finished the day out at Riverside Park - fished the deep, slower water near the boat ramp. Fished upstream of the diversion dam, nada. Did have a nice chat with one fellow who was out practicing his spey casting. Had a nice Echo spey rod that looked sweet. Fit & finish on that rod was superb.

I'm getting fed up with the fishless days. While I can't get out on a weekly basis, I've been going at least twice a month since September, sometimes more often. I've probably made 18 trips since then. Most I've had was a hookup that lasted five or ten seconds before the fish spit the hook. Tried everything from drifting bait or corkies & yarn to floating jigs & worms, to spinners, spoons, and plugs, to swinging flies (different techniques on different trips). My focus this season has really been on bobber & jig, and drift fishing. I"ve been using bobber & jig most - since it covers a wider variety of water. I've focused my drift fishing efforts mostly on the faster waters like riffles and plunge pools and faster runs.

About ready to give up on anadromous fish until the coho runs in August/September. :(

L
Lamzy
As my dear old dad use to say "son yer just not holding yer mouth right".
I have been going down to the Wilson and have had the very same sort of luck.
The weather looks to be fairly nice tomorrow so I belive I shall try my skill again tomorrow.

A
adambomb
I feel your pain brother... I feel like I know what I'm doing. I have fished with some of the most seasoned, veteran, professional anglers, on several occasions. And I am trying my best to imitate them and duplicate their gear. I buy top of the line custom tackle and grade A rods and reels. Their words of advice echo in my head "that's not good holding water, keep that downstream mend, your not deep enough..." I have been laid off since thanksgiving and have probably spent 60-80 hours on the water. Not to mention I have private property access to some of the most productive waters around. The closest I've gotten was a epic 20 minute battle with a chrome winter nook that ended with the hook popping out. I was/am feeling just like you last March when I landed my first winter steelhead. That one fish made me forget about all the skunked trips prior. Hang in there man it WILL happen!! P3060041.jpg

L
Lamzy
Adambomb
If you and I both reside in our fair city of Forest Grove, maybe we could hit the Wilson or some where together.
I am retired and seem t have a lot of free time on my hands.
I guess I will see what happens tomorrow at MP12 or maybe MP20
KiltedBob
PS. that is a nice looking fish. Maybe I will catch one my self

A
adambomb
Lamzy said:
Adambomb
If you and I both reside in our fair city of Forest Grove, maybe we could hit the Wilson or some where together.
I am retired and seem t have a lot of free time on my hands.
I guess I will see what happens tomorrow at MP12 or maybe MP20
KiltedBob
PS. that is a nice looking fish. Maybe I will catch one my self

The rain forcasted for this weekend should bring in some fresh fish. Don't forget about the S. fork Wilson, the first mile is open and there are some dandy holes. I have seen a man walking around town in a kilt, might that be you?

T
Throbbit _Shane
try spoons guys! i just got into fishing the river this year. iv landed 3 steelhead this year on spoons and today i almost got one that was 10lb+ lost it when i tried to drag it up the beach but the spoon went flying!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Throbbit _Shane said:
try spoons guys! i just got into fishing the river this year. iv landed 3 steelhead this year on spoons and today i almost got one that was 10lb+ lost it when i tried to drag it up the beach but the spoon went flying!

Tried those already - I love fishing spinners & spoons for trout - and always have had great success with them. The last 3 years for me have just been one loooooong dry spell. My last salmon/steelhead was caught back in October of 08 despite my best efforts. I've had hookups since, but they've always thrown the hook :(

I've even tried shifting my mindset from "steelhead" to "trout" thinking that might help - but it hasn't. Fished all the "trouty" lies, I've even downsized tackle at times, fishing my "heavy" ultra-light setup with 6lb line, tossing trout-sized spinners & lures, drifting #6 hooks with corkie&yarn or small jigs 1/16th oz or smaller under small floats, 3" bubblegum senkos vs the 4,5 or 6" power worms... nada!

I'm sooo ready for general trout, bass, and panfish season to come on! I welcome warmer weather!

M
Modest_Man
I hooked a fish on the Wilson yesterday, threw me after a minute or two. Second steelhead on the line for me... Bobber and pink/purple jig down between mp 10-12.

I've averaged about 5 hours a week since October...so I'm up there in the 80-100 hours on the water with one native released and one broken off.

T
Throbbit _Shane
your bound to get good putting in all those hours! keep it up modest man! if your ever down my way let's fish the rogue river.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I haven't focused a lot on the Clack this year yet - because it's early forthat river - the focus of most of my fishing the last 3 seasons has been the Wilson, or the Trask. The Wilson gave me my last big fish, and my last hook ups.

Gunga
Gunga
at least your better off than i have been gungasuncle/ my uncle mark. ive broken my finger and have gotten food poisining. sigh this realy sucks

S
skunk
Actually this post lifts my spirits, tons!!! My first yr this yr, about 50 hrs and only one hookup, about 10 secs worth, and leader snapped. I get frustrated hearing all the success stories, feel good for the catchers, just feel like I'm doing that one little thing wrong. You guys just made me decide to keep at it. Someday, we'll all get it together.

L
Lamzy
adambomb said:
The rain forcasted for this weekend should bring in some fresh fish. Don't forget about the S. fork Wilson, the first mile is open and there are some dandy holes. I have seen a man walking around town in a kilt, might that be you?

You got me. I am the man in a Kilt about town.
I didn't know any part of the South Fork was open to fishing. I will have to read the "book" a little more closely.

A
adambomb
Lamzy said:
You got me. I am the man in a Kilt about town.
I didn't know any part of the South Fork was open to fishing. I will have to read the "book" a little more closely.

There is a pull out around the one mile mark with yellow ODFW signs. If you get to the prison camp then you have gone too far. That road is fairly busy with log trucks and other traffic so be sure to use the pullouts. The confluence with the Devil's Lake fork is just above the hwy 6 bridge, but the DLF is closed to all fishing year round.