1st one of 2009... best one I've made yet

F
FishSchooler
Just stirred up some spinner making stuff from fisherman's today... shoulda went to BC Angling. :rolleyes: Didn't want to do the extra driving and I didn't know what that place was like, so I stuck to fisherman's. :rolleyes:
Still pretty dang cheap stuff compared to buying pre-mades.
DSC_9366.jpg
Well there it is. Size 5 chartruese/lime green dot vibrax blade on one brass one nickel ball bearing beads with 2 1/8 oz brass bodies stacked over a 6mm red bead all over a razor sharp size 4 or 5 VMC. Surely going to hook me a steelhead or coho this year. Im going to make sure it happens! :dance:
Took me a while to get the bottom eye because I was working top to bottom because I bought a prelooped wire. 2 rusty pairs of pliers did the job. :cool:

Reactions: chris61182
O
osmosis
lookin good fishschooler. hope it kills you some fish, that paint scheme is one that almost every salmon angler has atleast one of.
I also build most of my spinners from the top down, I think it is easier and I stab myself less..
for future reference a #5 bear valley needs a 1/0 or 2/0 hook. It would be a bummer to hear about you hooking a salmon and loosing it cause of too small of a hook.

a quick quide for hook size is: lay your blade down on a table, with the clevis hole either away from you or straight towards you. take a hook and put one side/point on the left side of the blade and with one point sticking straight into the air, the other point should reach the other side of the blade or be close.
#6/#7 cascades and #8 KAW, #7 FCF, 6.5 moby, #7 fatal flash, and a few other very large blades are exceptions to the rule.

F
FishSchooler
I thought it looked a little small, but I forgot to get hooks :doh:
Actually, I got that blade from Joe's on the last day for only like 20 cents! 4 bucks 90% off for 2...
Actually, that one is probably the worst I made today. The eye at the bottom was the worst out of the four because it was a "warm up". The others, I just took a tiny screwdriver and taped it to a desk, and used that as a loop former, just wrapped it around. I also used it to secure the wire while I twisted it. Shoulda thought of that a year ago. It may not be the best, but it sure kicks blue foxes in the ... ;)

Edit: I lost one last year when it jumped, a huge (Ive never seen one that big) dark ugly coho at cedar. I should of learned my lesson, but never really thought of getting bigger hooks.

F
FishSchooler
The rest of the batch

The rest of the batch

Here's the rest of the best spinners... What should I do when I get bigger hooks? Cut the old hook off and attach a split ring a rebuild the whole thing?
DSC_9368.jpg

T
Troutier Bassier
!

!

Those are some nice spinners!
Better then mine. :lol:

(Im not gonna post a Picture) (to embarassing)

THe blade is big and the body is small.

F
FishSchooler
No, just the hook is small. The body width doesn't really matter as long as the blade extends at least to the bottom eye.

Osmosis-about the guide to hook size, I think I know what you're talking about, but when I set the hook on the blade to measure, should it be in the middle where the blade is widest?

T
Troutier Bassier
....Spinner Master

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
....Spinner Master

Blame it on the guys who catch 29 steelhead in 4 hours... :lol:

O
osmosis
yep at the widest point or close to it.
half bow's, and chartreuse green dot's, very good choices!

I suggest to just cut the wire and re-do 'em when you get the supplies. I like direct connection for my hooks. That way you also get to use the hooks again on a different project.

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:
I suggest to just cut the wire and re-do 'em when you get the supplies. I like direct connection for my hooks. That way you also get to use the hooks again on a different project.

K. I'll save 4 pre looped wires just incase... ;)
There's so much you can do with spinner wire... homemade spreaders, spin n glow rigs, spinners, so fun... except when you poke yourself

Oh yeah, one tip for everyone as stupid (not really) as me, don't put half a bajillion spinners with barbed treble hooks on carpet... :rolleyes: :doh:

F
FishSchooler
Okay, I got 5 2/0's yesterday and I couldnt find 1/0's. In my opinion/view, they look humungous for the spinner! They look way too big! I mean, the hook is as long as a 6mm bead and two brass bodies! It does follow your guide to spinner size, but it just looks way too big. Are you sure you didn't mean size 1 or 2? It's just too big, so I'm only retwisting one of them with a 2/0.

O
osmosis
The big ol bear valley is really a trolling spinner blade, but will also work for casting. For balance you do want that big of a hook. I'm not messing with you, all of my #5 bear valleys have 2/0's.

What brand and model of hook did you get? some of them have much longer shanks than others.

F
FishSchooler
Its Lazer Sharp by Eagle Claw.
Maybe I'll have two with 2/0s and two with size 4s. See which ones do better. Two totally different sizes, but hey... I'll give it a shot.

D
dude young
osmosis said:
lookin good fishschooler. hope it kills you some fish, that paint scheme is one that almost every salmon angler has atleast one of.
I also build most of my spinners from the top down, I think it is easier and I stab myself less..
for future reference a #5 bear valley needs a 1/0 or 2/0 hook. It would be a bummer to hear about you hooking a salmon and loosing it cause of too small of a hook.

a quick quide for hook size is: lay your blade down on a table, with the clevis hole either away from you or straight towards you. take a hook and put one side/point on the left side of the blade and with one point sticking straight into the air, the other point should reach the other side of the blade or be close.
#6/#7 cascades and #8 KAW, #7 FCF, 6.5 moby, #7 fatal flash, and a few other very large blades are exceptions to the rule.
Can you post up a photo of what you are talking about here? I think I get it, and am just about to start trying to build some, so I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks man.

F
FishSchooler
Here is a diagram I made...

Last edited:
Reactions: dude young
D
dude young
FishSchooler said:
Here is a diagram I made...
Thanks, 'School. Think I am going to run out to Sportsman's (or whatever it's called now) and grab a few things for trying to tie up some jigs and spinners.

Fishtopher showed mw the pliers he modified for twisting wire, so I am going to break out the grinder and sacrifce a pair form the tool chest.

I will let you knwo how it goes. Hope to have something to use by Tuesday.