1st nook on a fly

EOBOY
EOBOY
5 years ago I went to Pacific City with a friend of mine to jump on his son's DB, we put in at woods and trolled the river we caught one. On the way back to the take out I notice a guy Fly fishing and thought that would be pretty cool the land a nook on a fly. Last year I gave it a shot with you know who. Had one drive by and nothing else, it was a slow day by the numbers not landed on other boats. So I've bugged you know who for a year now and Wed. we got together and gave it another shot with a friend of his. The best part of this was they launched at 5 to save a good spot. I showed up about 7 and we still had to wait for the tide for another hour. We weren't bored though, as we got to watch the combat fisherman floss and release Salmon. One gal was particularly good. They did catch a number of fish legally though. When the tide was right we got with it. After about a 1/2 hour you know said let me put a different Fly on your rig.

Now YKW is tying the Flies on the Fly, so I'm feeling pretty positive. I casted out and work it into position and gave it a couple of short pulls and I felt like a BIG trout pulled on it.........just a tug. I wasn't as startled or surprised as I expected. Which tells me I'm once again back to my old fishing self of 30 years ago. YKW pulled anchor and that fish just wouldn't cooperate and as we tried to get it away from the combat troops on the bank we warned them a fish was coming their way. Well, the best flosser on the bank picked up my line.......Yikes! YKW went for the lure dangling in the air and his friend unceremoniously cut her line. I wasn't sure if my fish was still on......but I felt the tug again and we were clear of the other boats and fisherman and I got her in the net.

We got ourselves back in position and I could tell Jason was looking for some love from the fish gods. They had fished all day Tues. with no luck. He picked up a little jack that spit the hook at the boat. He no more that got it back in the water when he said "this one isn't a Jack". And this fish went crazy. It was all over the place and it ran for the bridge pier and he was trying to stop it when it turned and ran back at the boat and dove under it. That's when all hell broke out (it was suddenly a very small boat) Jason stuck his tip in the water at ran toward the back of the boat. I was suddenly standing in the front and Jason was in the back and YKW said how you do that? Danged if I know! We finally got that beast in the net also.

In the end it was another pretty day.............And the flosser got her lure back.........and some fish were killed for this story.

I would post pictures but once again this site is not working properly.........I get tired of writing a story and having the site shut down and lose everything I've written

Reactions: TheKnigit
EOBOY
EOBOY
nokfly.jpgjason2.jpgjason1.jpg Jason looks very calm here...but he wasn't:peace:

P
pinstriper
I saw the picture. Nice photoshopping job !

H
Hookset
What a great story thank you for sharing.

C_Run
C_Run
Wow! That fish is bigger than both of you! Great work.

O
OnTheDrop
Happy for you, brother. Another page for the book. See you and seal-boy soon

D
DrTheopolis
Geez, I'd hope that a guide would be professional enough to not run out of bait and lures...

Flies?

hobster
hobster
Awesome, right on Dana what a thrill that must have been! Salmon on a fly must be the ultimate, looks like your guide knows his s**t :thumb: I'll be back when I can Tanner

T
taconight2night
Is that the Jason that works at Cabela's in Eugene? I apologize if I am incorrect... But if it is, hit me back, Jason. This is Erich, that super tall guy that you used to work with in the fishing department a couple years ago. It would be awesome to wet a line with you bud. I live in Vancouver WA.

EOBOY
EOBOY
taconight2night;n607727 said:
Is that the Jason that works at Cabela's in Eugene? I apologize if I am incorrect... But if it is, hit me back, Jason. This is Erich, that super tall guy that you used to work with in the fishing department a couple years ago. It would be awesome to wet a line with you bud. I live in Vancouver WA.

That's him, but I don't think he is on OFF.

T
taconight2night
Thanks for letting me know. If you see him, please tell him I said hello. He was a good dude.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Nice write up Dana! Wow what a super fun day. Must have been quite the thrill. What took so long to get on the fly? The river by me still coco dark. Combat is way crazy fishing and I want to Denoso smack all the flossers, I hate that s_ _t. I usually head for the Kilchis when the rains come as hard as it has. Lucky to see anyone on the fly as high up as I go. Winter fishing is officially here. Tony