1st Annual Fish OFF

1st Annual Fish OFF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F
FishFinger
We are quickly approaching our first official Fish Off.​

It will be held at Detroit / Big Cliff Reservoir over the weekend of Aug. 14th 15th & 16th

As this is our first site wide gathering, we have opted to keep with the spirit of our great forum and make this a social extravaganza. While there is no official OFF sponsored derby per say, there will be plenty of fishing available but foremost the opportunity to meet other members and forge new friendships along the way.

Camp sites:​

To date all the sites at the Detroit state park have been reserved for that weekend. I do not know the status of the sites at Marigold; you’ll have to check for availability. The balances of campsites are located on the south side of the lake via Blowout road. These sites are “first come first serve.” Arriving Thursday might be a prudent decision, as competition for sites will heat up by Friday.

Accommodations / Accoutrement's:​

There are a few motels in the city if Detroit, which may be able to handle, overflow crowds. There are also two full service restaurants and two convenience stores in Detroit. Detroit Lake marina has rental boats available, reserving in advance is an option for getting on the water come Fish Off day.

Fun to be had:​

Trout and kokanee will be the majority-targeted fish however rumor has it there are bass and perhaps even bullfrogs to be had….

While OFF isn’t holding a fishing contest itself; if consenting individuals opted to establish a competition between friends, I don’t think there would any problem with that.

Once thing that will be awarded “derby” or not, are bragging rights good for one calendar year!

To help us to get an idea of the potential attendance, number of boats, open seats available, interest in a potluck, a secret fisherman exchange, a swap meet.

Please answer the poll questions and we’ll continue to refine the event as the members define it.

Cell phones (Verizon) service works well on and around the entire lake so communications between campers shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
T
The Nothing
i wish i could say yes to any of these questions. not having a job ATM and not knowing what will happen down the road, i can't confirm nor deny anything. At the very least i hope to make it up for at least one of the days...

F
fish 4 fun
wish i could but too close to archery season for me.

Troutski
Troutski
Open seat filled..

Open seat filled..

The open seat in my craft has been taken....

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
walkie talkies!

walkie talkies!

One thing came to mind and that is if we all carried walkie talkies with us. I'm thinking of the ones you can get for about 50 bucks a set or less. They are standard equipment in my pontoon boats and they're great for on the water fish reports. It would be cool to communicate with each other on or off the water during the derby. Give it some thought.

Jim

Troutski
Troutski
Communication...

Communication...

I have one set, multiple channels - sounds like a great idea; communication is key to any fishing trip. Like keeping others from you honey hole;), misdirection...:D
Really it is a great idea...

Chuck

C
catphish
open seats?

open seats?

I am planning to attend the fish-off and hoping/looking for a seat in a boat if possible. Trying to convince my friend to come out and bring his boat, but that looking like less of an option. Does anyone that is attending have an open seat? I dont want to be stuck on the dam, never seems to be any bragging rights caught on the damn wall. Anyone gonig that want to share a camp site? I doubt that my lady will want to sit at detroit and fish for 3 days (doesn't know what she missing) so I prob just be solo with my tent.

Troutski
Troutski
Be there...

Be there...

I hope you can make it, I am sure there will be open seats available through out the weekend. This will be my first trip to this Lake and I am truly looking forward to it. From the results of the poll it looks to be a great time for all, I just feel sorry for the poor fish, they don't stand a chance...;) with all our members hunting them down. Look forward to the nightly camp fires and bullpucky that follows the adult beverages....First liar doesn't stand a chance...

Chuck

A
autofisher
I'm hoping that my mom and I will be able to bring our boat up. Just have to finish a couple of projects on it. Shouldn't be a big deal. I don't know if I'm going to be camping up there but since it's only about 45 minutes away from my yard it shouldn't be a problem either way. Now, for open seats...... that you have to talk to raincatcher about. She calls the shots. I just drive

I
ibanez_shredder
good stuff!

good stuff!

:)I Love the walkie talkie idea!!! i have a set or two i can bring as welll

Troutski
Troutski
Two camp sites...

Two camp sites...

I have two camp sites that are available Friday the 14 through Sunday the 16 of August for the Derby. They are side by side and are reserved, A-12 and A-14 are the site numbers. If any one is interested in picking these up for what I paid for them let me know. Shoot me a PM and we can work out the details. I will be missing this years bash and thought I would put these up for grabs on the site before I canceled them through the state.
The price is $32. plus $6.00 user fee per site for all three days... I will leave this up for two weeks and if no takers I will still have time to return them.

Chuck

Troutski
Troutski
one down...

one down...

One down and one to go....ninja2010 has the first. Any one else need a spot for the Derby?

Chuck

Troutski
Troutski
Second site taken..

Second site taken..

Well the second site has been taken...catphish and Kush will be spending the weekend.

CHuck

W
womanwhofishes
wish we could say YES but we have prior engagement that wkend..but we say NO
but FISH ON EVERYONE and TAKE PICS!
sss and wwf

Last edited:
L
lowjack
I'm down. Not sure about stayin the whole weekend but we'll see. Anyone have a camping spot to share? i have a small backpackers tent i could bring (low impact) or if i can get a whole site i MIGHT bring the family :)

F
FishTastic
Is there anyone going that has room in their site for a tent and truck and boat trailer? I have at least one open seat ( maybe two ) in my boat but no place to sleep and cook the fish. Need about 40' for truck and trailer and a level spot for the tent. Thanks in advance if you are able to accomodate me and my stuff.:pray:

N
ninja2010
okay, with the fish OFF just round the corner, i need to ask for some help here... i have no idea what to expect, what to bring, etc. - related to the fishing. :think:

what will everyone be fishing for? i've never fished for trout and i wouldn't even know if a kokanee smacks me in the face... :confused::(

is steelhead gear too heavy? what about bass gear?

i know i can probably go to a tackle shop, ask these questions and walk out with gobs of STUFF... but i'm going broke, and i don't think i'll be doing much lake fishing anyways, so i figured some of you peeps might want to suggest how i should go about preparing for this trip.

thanks.

O
OnTheFly
OK ninja I may be able to help you here. I do not know the entire lake but if the fish are biting in the usual places I might be able to set you up. Steelhead gear is way overkill. I can provide you with a fly rod and flys to troll with if you like. You already have a pontoon boat so getting around won't be a problem. Perhaps others may offer you extra spinning gear and that would be good too. Don't stress about gear. You will have plenty to choose from, I am sure, from other members. What ever you decide to use, I am almost certain I can find you fish . Maybe not big ones but an abundance. Let me know.

Jim

Reactions: Troutski
N
ninja2010
OnTheFly said:
I am almost certain I can find you fish . Maybe not big ones but an abundance. Let me know.

you are sooooo on. you da man!

so trolling is the way to go, eh? hopefully i won't need a downrigger:lol:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Getting closer....

Getting closer....

I will be bringing lots of extra gear and am willing to share with whomever needs it. Remember your pdf's for sure. :pray: As for a boat,we are not quite finished with the floor yet. Life happens. I am sure it will get done.
Are we still doing the swap meet? If we are,I hope we all stick to fishing related stuff. I don't have a room dedicated like Osmosis does(envy),but Autofisher seems to think I need to thin out my stash. I will be bringing a 6' table like you get at Costco to fill with "treasures". Anyone else?
JeannaJigs will be joining me at the camp site and if Autofisher comes with his family it will be full.
I can't wait!! As the wrestler Lonnie Mane used to say "There's excitement in the air"!!! And if you remember him,you aren't nearly as young as you pretend to be...:lol:

Be safe.
Barb