14 Inch Rainbow off Island Park

S
Stoods
Last night, around...9 PM or so, I headed down the street to Island Park with the fishing pole in hand.

I really just wanted to escape the heat. Even at 9 PM it was in the high 90s. Bleh. So I got waist deep in the water, which felt great, and started casting. Just using a spinning outfit w/ 8lb test & 1/4 oz Kastmaster (swivel set-up, about 16 inches of line between swivel and lure). Sure enough, a curious rainbow chomps down on her after about 20 minutes of fishing.

I was really surprised. I figured it was way to hot for any trout to be near Island Park. In fact, I didn't even think there were trout in that part of the river. The fish was pretty lazy, though - not nearly the fight I expected, given his size.

A nearby angler was using worms, and said he had caught several fish in and around Island Park over the past couple of nights. He was just floating them with the current.

Definitely a nice way to beat the heat. And now I know of a decent fishing spot nearby the house.

Cheers,

Stoods

O
osmosis
Gotta love a local hole that produces. Sounds like you spent the evening right. Good 'ol kastmasters.
I just hid from the heat in the house with the AC all evening!

Where's the picture? :)

S
Stoods
No picture :( Just had the swimtrunks and a shirt on me, besides the pole.

I'm actually in the market for one of those fancy waterproof digital cameras.

S
SmallStreams
Fish surprise! Gotta love it!

I looked at the waterproof point-and-shoot digital cameras and decided to wait a year. They're very, very close to perfect but... the movie mode is not yet HD widescreen. Once that happens, then I'll be hooked on them!

Back in May, I picked up a Flip Ultra HD (cheap digital video camera) for casual dry videos and it's proven good value because I carry it and use it. Ideally I'd like something with 10x or 20x optical zoom, but that costs more and is tougher to carry around and would require more than a pair of AA batteries.

H
Hooked on fishin'
Awesome!! I have been thinking of trying that area after reading some posts concerning that stretch of river. I was just lamenting that I was not going to be able to fish again for awhile, since I am still unemployed and gas to drive to the mac is dear, now i'll have to try it out!!

Troutski
Troutski
Railroad Trestle...

Railroad Trestle...

Stoods said:
Last night, around...9 PM or so, I headed down the street to Island Park with the fishing pole in hand.

I really just wanted to escape the heat. Even at 9 PM it was in the high 90s. Bleh. So I got waist deep in the water, which felt great, and started casting. Just using a spinning outfit w/ 8lb test & 1/4 oz Kastmaster (swivel set-up, about 16 inches of line between swivel and lure). Sure enough, a curious rainbow chomps down on her after about 20 minutes of fishing.

I was really surprised. I figured it was way to hot for any trout to be near Island Park. In fact, I didn't even think there were trout in that part of the river. The fish was pretty lazy, though - not nearly the fight I expected, given his size.

A nearby angler was using worms, and said he had caught several fish in and around Island Park over the past couple of nights. He was just floating them with the current.

Definitely a nice way to beat the heat. And now I know of a decent fishing spot nearby the house.

Cheers,

Stoods

Great untapped area there, you should try up stream by the railroad trestle. The same technique as the island area but more fish per acre, less pressure.
Great river and it has easy access most of the year, for the very adventurist try Dorris Ranch (Dorris Ranch in Springfield Or 97477 - Google Maps Great Steelhead and Trout water...very remote location so bring water. I, like most anglers started out as a bank angler and evolved into a boat angler; so I know most of the waters on and tribs of the Middle Fork of the Willy. The further up stream you travel the better the angling gets...an average fish is in the mid teens. Also plenty of Steel and Chinook, oh yes it will happen; your targeting Trout and ...well I'll let you find out your self.

Chuck

Chuck

R
Rheinholdt
Yo' Guys,

I'm also planning on giving that area a try. My boss fly fishes from there down to a boat ramp? and says there are a couple of good holes in that stretch. I'm thinking I'll try Troutski's advice and poke around up by the trestle and above. How is the bank access from the Dorris Ranch?

Oh, and Hooked on fishin' I may have a deal to interest you. I'm pretty much a newbie at fishing so am looking for people to fish with on occasion who can help me with questions that come up. I can provide the gas in exchange and maybe we can get some fish, eh?

Ron

H
Hooked on fishin'
Rheinholdt said:
Yo' Guys,

I'm also planning on giving that area a try. My boss fly fishes from there down to a boat ramp? and says there are a couple of good holes in that stretch. I'm thinking I'll try Troutski's advice and poke around up by the trestle and above. How is the bank access from the Dorris Ranch?

Oh, and Hooked on fishin' I may have a deal to interest you. I'm pretty much a newbie at fishing so am looking for people to fish with on occasion who can help me with questions that come up. I can provide the gas in exchange and maybe we can get some fish, eh?

Ron

Sounds great, only I am new to river fishing! All my experience is in lakes and reservoirs, I have learned quite a bit on this forum, but I have yet to put it to practice! There are a lot of good reservoirs up the Mckenzie, where the water is still super cold and crystal clear! Great fishin'! Anyway, I am starting a new job today, and I do not know what my schedule will be like yet, so pm me if you would like, maybe we can get out and learn together!:)

R
Rheinholdt
Yo' Hooked,

Congrat's on landing the biggest fish of all!! That NEW JOB!!! Hope it works out better than great for you.

I'm new to all types of fishing. AND wish to give them ALL a try. So far I've set up for spin-casting and fly-fishing. Definitely will be giving surf-fishing a try at some point. And while at the coast will try my hand at getting some of those sea-bugs (crabs) into a trap.

I, also, have learned a lot from this group already. Online and, especially, at the Detroit Fish-OFF last weekend. What a great group of people!

So, lake fishing sounds good. I'm a bank fisher until I can find a boat I can afford but it's all part of the fun. I will PM you shortly and when you know your new schedule we can make some plans.

Until then, Back to Work for Me.

Respectfully, Ron.

C
curlyDave
Stoods said:

Cheers,

Stoods

CurlyDave says:
Dont forget to try the slot on the west side of the Gleenwoow bridge...Its bank accessable and a real nice fishholding slot..(steelhead)