11/24/06 Sturg. trip to remember...

F
Fishtopher
Ok, maybe you guys have seen this before. Maybe not. Kind of a legend around my parts. I hooked into this beast around 430 in the afternoon. Fishing on the bank with a 8ft ultra light Rhino Stick, dead drifting a tree frog (before I knew any better!Dont fish tree frogs!) on the hunt for a lazy ol' hog of bass that had broke me off twice earlier in the week.
The first two hours of fishing were uneventfull. Not a sole walking a dog, nor pulling a plug. Just a light rumble of traffic on the not so distant freeway. Hour three was a different story!
One of those willamette jet boats pulled up on the beach because of an injury to a younger woman, hit her head with her camcorder...ugly sight!! As the jet boat was waiting for the ambulance my phone rang...
My wife called to see what i wanted for dinner, so I was salivating over the thought of homemade lasagna, deep in daydream land. I had set my pole down to answer the phone right at the top of my drift. Snapped outta lala land by the jet boat operator; my cousin had spotted me and wanted everyone on the boat know that his cousin was the goofy guy on the beach.
As I looked at him and started to verbally retaliat, I felt a tink on the line, followed by slack, upstream moving line. I yelled, "fish on! sucker!"sarcasticly, thinking I could at least fake a big fish fight by setting the drag loose;)...set the hook and it just kept goin upstream! Not any faster, not slower just cruisin along,:confused: so I was walking him up towards the jet...When I was moving past the jet, my cousin helped my line over the fan, and thats when the peeler started peelin!! When he had half spooled me, I said "let me on!!". Jimmy bein an avid, err addicted salmon fisher took a quick pole amongst his customers("yay or nay?!","YAY!!")After following this fish to Cathedral Park and back up to Oaks Bottom, 4 hrs of fish fight...this is the result...had an army of boats following, as well as my cousins boss in his personal craft, Multnomah and Clackamas County Sherriffs, and many other pleasure crafts. One customer was super mad when the jet was beached finally so the release/photo op could take place. So mad he cried, missed his dinner date I guess...In case you can't tell, Im not in this pic. I was laying on the sand, crying myself, from exhaustion, joy, or that lasagna I had missed out on:think:...Ill never forget the look on those helpers faces.:D;)

O
osmosis
Yeah, just like those steelhead at meldrum, right? :D

F
Fishtopher
Party pooper...lol

Party pooper...lol

osmosis said:
Yeah, just like those steelhead at meldrum, right? :D

:lol:;)...C'mon, reports have been slow, pics have been few and far in between, and after all, everybody likes a good fish story...Well, I know I do:D.

Just think, could be one of you fine folks holdin that pole:)pray:) with that $#)! eatin' grin on yer face:lol:...

P.S. To be sure if I have a reel fish story these days, I got the pics (with me in it) to back it up.
:mad:And no way would I let that dude hold my rod:mad:!:lol:​
And congrats to the crew that fished that dino out of the murky depths! Most guys dont ever SEE a fish like that!

Troutski
Troutski
Very cool story....

Very cool story....

Fishtopher said:
:lol:;)...C'mon, reports have been slow, pics have been few and far in between, and after all, everybody likes a good fish story...Well, I know I do:D.

Just think, could be one of you fine folks holdin that pole:)pray:) with that $#)! eatin' grin on yer face:lol:...

P.S. To be sure if I have a reel fish story these days, I got the pics (with me in it) to back it up.
:mad:And no way would I let that dude hold my rod:mad:!:lol:​
And congrats to the crew that fished that dino out of the murky depths! Most guys dont ever SEE a fish like that!

Sweet, you had me hooked until I read the part of you handing the rod over...

Chuck

F
Fishtopher
Somebody stop me!

Somebody stop me!

Troutski said:
Sweet, you had me hooked until I read the part of you handing the rod over...

Chuck

I figured that part was a little OFF!

Maybe a little too FISHY! ;):cool:

I can't stop the puns!!

Irishrover
Irishrover
That was great. I think maybe you have been to Ireland and kissed the Blarney Stone, nice story:lol:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
heh heh heh

heh heh heh

Thanks for the chuckle...:lol: :D :lol:
Barb

T
Troutier Bassier
WOW!!!!!!!!

I never knew they had oversizers in the willamette

A
ArcticAmoeba
Haha! This is one of the small ones! Fishtopher has banked hundreds of 20 footers on Bass gear, and Tree Frogs!

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
Haha! This is one of the small ones! Fishtopher has banked hundreds of 20 footers on Bass gear, and Tree Frogs!

I thought I saw him holding a 30 footer once...

E
eric71m
Great imagination, you got me to at least open the thread and read the post...

Then I saw the picture... LOL... been around far to many times...

good job on the hook set...:clap: