:(

O

Outdoor_Myers

april 1st to october 31st retention for sturgeon is a no go... Retention of white sturgeon is allowed three days per week on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from January 1 – March 31 and from November 1 – December 31, 2010. The retention of white sturgeon is prohibited April 1 through October 31.

B

beaverfan

Your wrong grasshoppy! That is only on the Willamette from the mouth to the falls, above the falls is STILL open 7 days a week under permanent regs!

T

The Nothing

and you can still fish them all you want, contrary to your first post

you just can't keep 'em

O

Outdoor_Myers

yay! time to turn that face right side up :) ok then what rod and reel should I work towards getting like a big ugly stick and a cheap big bait caster but i dont know how to use them?

T

trigzilla

april 1st to october 31st retention for sturgeon is a no go... Retention of white sturgeon is allowed three days per week on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from January 1 – March 31 and from November 1 – December 31, 2010. The retention of white sturgeon is prohibited April 1 through October 31.

You can as of now still fish for and keep Sturgeon on the Columbia...

B

BlackTalon

You can use lighter gear and have more fun than with the big Ugly Stick and big baitcaster ( assuming you are not talking about going after oversize that is). I use a Buzz Ramsey IM8 rated 15-50 and a Abu 6500 but have and do use less expensive and adequete gear all the time. If you haven't been before, grab an open seat with someone who has the gear and just enjoy first.
Evan

O

Outdoor_Myers

yeah prob will have to do that since I only have bass rods and reels. but I have to get my tags and trout is starting to be irritating. ODFW needs to make a few farm ponds with just bass bluegill crappie and catfish and forget about trout.

B

bigsteel

yeah prob will have to do that since I only have bass rods and reels. but I have to get my tags and trout is starting to be irritating. ODFW needs to make a few farm ponds with just bass bluegill crappie and catfish and forget about trout.

hahaha,,,this is oregon,,,were salmon,trout,steelhead

B

beaverfan

There's tons of awesome Bluegill and catfish fishing around your area bro. ODFW doesn't stock warm water species much. I remember they used to have some info on warmwater species on there website but that was years ago. Bluegill, Crappie, Catfish have no problem spawning in smaller warm bodies of water so they don't need to be stocked. Trout however have a really rough time spawning in warm water so they stock them.

O

Outdoor_Myers

Yeah but have you ever hooked into a huge cat or a 8lb largemouth?! I'll tell ya what but once i can afford a nice lil boat for the willy i will find em and walleye too and they all will be yummy in my tummy. I just dont like having to spend so much on gas and can only keep 1-5 of a species. If I go fishing I want to fish not go and be done in a couple hours. or can fish only certian times of the year after paying like 100 dollars lol

O

Outdoor_Myers

There's tons of awesome Bluegill and catfish fishing around your area bro. ODFW doesn't stock warm water species much. I remember they used to have some info on warmwater species on there website but that was years ago. Bluegill, Crappie, Catfish have no problem spawning in smaller warm bodies of water so they don't need to be stocked. Trout however have a really rough time spawning in warm water so they stock them.

we'll just have to go hunt for them sometime then ;)

B

beaverfan

Yeah but have you ever hooked into a huge cat or a 8lb largemouth?! I'll tell ya what but once i can afford a nice lil boat for the willy i will find em and walleye too and they all will be yummy in my tummy. I just dont like having to spend so much on gas and can only keep 1-5 of a species. If I go fishing I want to fish not go and be done in a couple hours. or can fish only certian times of the year after paying like 100 dollars lol

Well I don't fish for Bass so no, but I know where some are that are pretty dang big. Hagg Lake has tons of Bass. St. Louis ponds and the Willamette have big Catfish. Trying to find Walleye that far upstream is a real shot in the dark. I don't think I've ever heard a confirmed report of a Walleye being caught that far upstream. Oregon is a fishing MECCA I wouldn't be complaining about the regs if they were more lenient fishing would SUCK! You can keep almost every species of fish available to you, that is a very good thing! If you don't want to be done in a few hours don't keep every fish you catch. Only keep gut hooked ones, you'll catch tons of fish plus go home with a nice limit of fish.

Last edited:
O

Outdoor_Myers

I'll get you into bass fishing :p you'll be sitting there mopping about not catching trout while im knockin the bass dead :p

B

beaverfan

hahaha I've just never spent much time Bass fishing. I'm always too busy catching Trout. But now with the two rod thing I will have a spare rod to toss some plastics or something.

D

Damn_Shaker

yay! time to turn that face right side up :) ok then what rod and reel should I work towards getting like a big ugly stick and a cheap big bait caster but i dont know how to use them?

Ugly stick is quite heavy. I would recommend Lamiglas and Diawa sealine reel. I have caught many sturgeon with ugly stick but the feeling is nothing near lamiglas. I wouldn't recommend braided line, use 25 or 30lb maxima or PLine mono is more than enough to land an oversized. Come november i can show you how to fish if you like.

Top Bottom