• Biodegradeble

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Lead

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
U
USMC061018
If you could use a biodegradeble weight over a lead or other type of metal weight with the same performance would you? Lead weights poison loons and other bird species when they are swallowed. States on the east coast and even europe have banned the use of lead weights of certain sizes because of the dangers towards birds when they ingest them. That trend is slowly moving west and in the great liberal state of oregon it won't be to long before we have similar laws banning lead weight. If you would prefer an alternative that is safe to the environment with the same performance let me know. Also let me know how you feel about the "green" trend of today. Do your part in protecting our environment and preserving our natural resources for future generations.

Poll date extended..if you haven't voted now is your time..

Last edited by a moderator:
J
Jessals Fishing
good thinking

good thinking

I like the idea but question the material. I fish the Kenai in AK which has allot of pressure and is heavily scrutinized, so we are always looking for ways in which we can minimalize impact without decreasing your success rate too much. I would like to hear more about your weight solution and would consider not only implementing it but passing it along to the guide community here. My only problem I could see is that I use slinky weights, which is lead BB's slid into a cord sleeve so size is important, but I am intrigued...:think:

Troutski
Troutski
Bio-weights

Bio-weights

I have tried the substitute lead stuff from Cabelas and wasn't impressed. Doesn't seem to work as well as lead, I have graduated from spark plugs during Steelhead season......in the old days we would tie any thing on that would sink and was cheap, not that I am proud of this practice but it was true. Very interested in a alternative.

Chuck

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
That is a tough one. I mean there aren't many substances heavier than lead that would would be as cheap and work as well for fishing. The only thing that would truly solve the problem once and for all would be for everyone to take up fly fishing :lol:
I think we should all stop using lead for the dangers it poses to the environment. On the flip side, how much lead is put into the water every time someone goes out to a rural pond (like the one out by Hoskins/Kings Valley) to shoot some and fish? People trap shoot over the pond all the time and I don't see anyone bringing up issues like that. There are broken pigeons everywhere and literally every single piece of exposed timber has just been blown to hell.
I am all for green anything. Why not? You can argue global warming until you're blue in face but you can't argue the notion that the fewer pollutants you put into the air or ground, the better. In addition, it could also mean more jobs and more security for our economy.

U
USMC061018
well all it has to do is sink. That simple. The fact that people are shooting clay pigeons over water could have harmful effects on bird if they swallow the pellots. If they are falling in the deeper water it's less likely they will be swallowed. That's not to say all of them are though. We have so many tree huggers in oregon that want to save all the trees and wetlands that the question i posted should be a simple answer. yes. :)The weights have been used and have been successfully employed to catch fish. You don't alway's need a heavy weight on your line because the fish will generally take the path of least resistance. The rarely swim where the current is strongest. don't you agree? :think:I appreciate your input on this topic and wish more people would voice their opinion on this topic not just read the posts and move on. There is no right or wrong just let me know how you feel!

J
Jessals Fishing
well, for me size is crutial. I use specific BB's w/ a certain size cord, so too much of a drastic increase in size would not work but up to a certain degree, I'm sure a could work with.

C
chris61182
So are you talking about a biodegradable weight, or just one that isn't as toxic as lead (ie. tin, steel, tungsten)?

If there was something biodegradable that would be real neat. But if it's just the less toxic metals, I've used them and haven't noticed any appreciable difference in performance, so for a similar price I'd definitely switch to the non-toxic option.

U
USMC061018
it's one hundred percent biodegradeble. I don't think that tungsten is going to degrade any time this decade. It is also not toxic.

C
chris61182
USMC061018 said:
it's one hundred percent biodegradeble. I don't think that tungsten is going to degrade any time this decade. It is also not toxic.

Well that definitely would catch my attention. Do you have any links to such products?

U
USMC061018
no links to the product. I'm doing research to see if there is a market for my product in the northwest or if i need to go to the east coast where the laws have already been put in place.

C
chris61182
USMC061018 said:
no links to the product. I'm doing research to see if there is a market for my product in the northwest or if i need to go to the east coast where the laws have already been put in place.

Well I imagine there is most certainly a market for such a product right here in the northwest. Though it might still make better business sense to sell to the east coast first as they may be willing to pay more.

U
USMC061018
very true. I have 8 months left in the Marines and let me tell you sitting on a product like this is so hard! I just want to get out there and sell it. I have a wife and a son so when i get out i have to get a job right away and still try to get this product to the masses. I'm going to be a state cop :) so hopefully everybody is fishing in regs......but anyway's thanks for the input. keep you posted on the latest!

F
fish_4_all
Well I am all for getting lead out of the water. All of it.

My only question would be how long will it be shelf stable and how many times can you reuse it before it breaks down and has to be replaced? If I can throw a biodegradeable sinker in my tackle and know it will be there after I have waded through the water, soaked my tackle inside and out and then forgot to dry it out for 2 weeks I will definitely give them a try.

If I could only expect my hooks to be anything but rust it would be a perfect world!

I have seriosly thought about trying out ceramic weights for certain things. Will have to get some this summer and see how they work. I think in certain application the larger size in a lighter weight could actually be a good thing.

O
osmosis
With Salmon the sound your lead/non lead weight makes in contact with solid objects on the bottom, does matter.
the softer the lead, the better. I would never use steel.

I think ceramic would chip away in back bouncing type situations. even worse drift fishing..

I can see banning plunking type bank sinkers, and the back bouncing lead. loosing ounces or half lb of lead over and over is much more damaging than some BB spit shot.

I don't think I'll give up my pencil lead, and split shot until there is a very good replacement.

F
FishSchooler
Well, for those who plunk, you can call me whatever you want but I think rocks would work just fine for weights. They take a while to tie up because you have to wrap them over and over again with line, but it doesn't pollute and they are free, with unlimited sizes and shapes. Just a thought...

F
FishFinger
Yes little buddy, rocks are a novel idea. Perhaps you could bore holes through them and cement in iron eye bolts and run your line through it, so you can feel the fish when it strikes. :think:

FishSchooler said:
Well, for those who plunk, you can call me whatever you want but I think rocks would work just fine for weights. They take a while to tie up because you have to wrap them over and over again with line, but it doesn't pollute and they are free, with unlimited sizes and shapes. Just a thought...

F
FishSchooler
Wouldnt drilling a hole normally cause it to crack? That might work, I just took a jaggedish rock and wound 17 lb mono around it like 100 times so it had a small cradle, then ran the tag under about 10 of them then tied a barrel swivel on. :think:
Oh yeah, volcanic rocks float, so if you could make one sink, then the holes let you tie a knot. :cool:

C
Commodore S
While diving to retrieve some of my gear (after season) i've never seen birds diving down to eat any lead, nor have i seen any rocks w/holes in them. So in short i'm trying to do my part by recycling the lead I pick-up off the bottom:D

F
Fishtopher
I had to resort to a rock this fall nook season at Moffett Crick...ran out of pyramids, asked a few guys for a railroad spike, then was not ready to leave yet so moved away from everyone, tied up a rock, after looking for the right rock for 10 minutes, cast out and my rock just rolled down river...didn't hold at all. So home I headed.:(
But it wasn't that hard to get the rock wrapped and "wready". 3 or 4 times around the rock will work, or you have the wrong "wrock"!

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
stay out off my block

stay out off my block

well, no. You lost me when you used the word law and green and biodegradable. I like lead, and I don't like industry hiding under the guiseof responsibility to pass laws that sell their products. I also feel no need to feel bad about my sturg weights while the wing shooters, tire industry, plastic lure industry, military, nascar and the whole rest of the world turds volumes of lead and petroleum based goods into fields lakes and rivers.... dale E drove in a circle for 500 miles 4 times a month at 4 miles per gallon on 5 square miles of filled in wet-lands to sell nothing but a corprate product, and he is a god? I lost 1 lb of lead last year and Im a d@*k ? Go sell crazy somewhere else, oregons all full here.:naughty::naughty::naughty:

Top Bottom