10-1-12

M
Mad dog
Sheeesh!!! :( The Keno stretch opener on the Klamath today....wish I was there!!! :( Probably fish some streamers early, switch to some bugs under indicators later on when the water warms up a bit....Man! I'm homesick in the fall! There have been specks migrating with the full moon heading towards the Basin or the Sac. valley....wish I was going with them! Oct. 1 used to be one of my highlights of the year! Looked forward to it with as much anticipation as the bow hunting opener or the waterfowl opener, now, it has been a lot of season since I have fished the Klamath on Oct. 1st!

Anyway, finished sept. with a few salmon, lot's of which a turning brown faster than a ripe banana left on the counter top on an august day! Lot's of these Umpqua fish will be on the redd in a week or two, they don't mess around! Get right to it!!!

The youngest was on fire yesterday morning and got bit continuosly!!! He has a gift and can always get those salmon to bite his bait! His older brother has that gift as well and, well, I don't! I have to work for my fish! All were bucks showing their fall colors, so all went back after their morning exersize session! By mid-morning we were thinkin' about "foot-long sammiches" and less about fish so we bagged it. No real Coho action in the upper main yet, but I suppose they are coming??? Lot's of coho old timers out tossing spinners looking for them though! Ya....that's another thing! Lot of these morons will for sure be keeping coho clean up to the forks because they think they can, every time out I have to correct some idiot that thinks they are legal above Scottsburg! I don't think most of them know there is a deadline or a quota! Most of them don't act like they believe me anyway so I reccon I'll be making some phone calls this fall...probably be funner than catching coho anyway!

Daniel with a couple of fish, they mostly look like this in the upper river now with the occassional brighter fish. I did catch a couple of decent ones on saturday morning.
001-28.jpg
003-26.jpg

E
eugene1
Nice report Mad dog! Looks like you guys have that place dialed in! I got skunked on the main a couple weeks ago even though we saw some caught and lots rolling.

I've been watching the Klamath too! On a california forum guys are binging in easy limits (4 nooks!). I'll be checking that out next season.

Best,

B
bigsteel
nice work terry,you and the boys are definitely killin them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M
Mad dog
eugene1 said:
Nice report Mad dog! Looks like you guys have that place dialed in! I got skunked on the main a couple weeks ago even though we saw some caught and lots rolling.

I've been watching the Klamath too! On a california forum guys are binging in easy limits (4 nooks!). I'll be checking that out next season.

Best,

Just out of curiousity, what Cali. forum? :think: We might know some of the same people. ;)

Anyway, I was speaking of the Klamath on the Oregon side of the state line, where the tout are as big as steelhead, fight harder, and are as thick through as any fish I have ever seen! :D

Pisses me off that the politic's of the area dictate that the salmon get almost all the water when the waterfowl or farmers get almost none....the're almost extinct done there don't ya know!!! :rolleyes: ********!!!

M
Mad dog
I know this guy! Got his cell # in my phone.

Reply With Quote.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09-29-2012, 08:50 AM#1

Mean Gene
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Klamath salmon

We're having a very good run up here this year with lots of early fish that are in excellent shape. Some days the fish are eating everything in sight, others not so much. Wanted to fish a bit on Wednesday, but had neither a drift boat, nor an invite, so I decided to use my fly fishing pontoon boat and back bounce roe in one slot I could get to. Seemed to work out just fine.

It is definitely nice being able to keep 4 salmon of any size this year, and there are a ton of hens, which equates to no shortage of roe later on. It's a great time of the year to be outdoors.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Awesome Terry, glad you got back into some salmon. I'll be heading down again this week and next. I left the boat in Roseburg last week. I'll call you if I get out and see if you can join me.

Record runs this year and the limit on the lower klamath in Cali is 3 but it takes half a day to fill out all the paperwork for each fish you tag from what i hear. My buddy was just down there a couple weeks ago and 3 of them limited in a few hours.

Correction: Eugene1 is right, limit is 4 or 67,000 sportfishing quota.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
Also, it looks like you were fishing the deeper water again this time or were you in a different spot entirely? Did you see anything caught up higher up in shallow water?

B
bran_man
Nice ones !!! Still super fun to catch! Nice work out there guys

E
eugene1
Mad dog said:
I know this guy! Got his cell # in my phone.

Yeah I saw his post, seems I want to meet him sometime,

His limit:

PontoonSalmonWeb.jpg

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Mad dog said:
You are moving south aren't you?
I just went on a hunch, thinking maybe you were a waterfowler? Maybe not!

40 million people in the Golden state and I swear to god half of those hunt waterfowl! And I must know at least half of those to do!!!

Yep, Come January I'll be in the golden state. The dream job calls, and the fishing looks like it's as awesome as in OR.

A
alm21
Nice! What my kids don't know is that the only reason why I take them fishing is that I'm working towards the day when I go along for the ride and they put the fish in my freezer! ;)

jamisonace
jamisonace
I like them for the extra tags on the boat! I guess they are pretty good company too:)

I look forward to the day when they do all the fish processing and boat cleaning for me too.

alm21 said:
Nice! What my kids don't know is that the only reason why I take them fishing is that I'm working towards the day when I go along for the ride and they put the fish in my freezer! ;)

S
steelhead_slayer
I been thinking of head to klamath for that stretch as well. as always nice job getting into the fish