1/26 Charleston.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Badly needed to get out on the water after two months with without a day of me time.
Put the boat on the water at about 10:30 AM and headed out to drop the traps.
For some reason I couldn't get the sonar to come up on my FF so I was forced to use the chart to set my traps using best guess for depth. The Result was after the first set several traps were in water too deep to keep the floats above water in the high outgoing current so they were pulled and moved resulting in mostly shallow water sets.
Lot's of undersize crabs were caught but only 7 legals for 4 hours with 6 traps, all of them in the slack tide period.
Fishing was slow as well. Only got three strikes tossing jigs while the traps soaked, of which I landed one Black rock fish. It was a corker for inside the bay though weighing in at just at 3 lbs.
On the other hand, although it was slightly on the cool side, it was sunny with very light breezes, at least until about 1:30 PM when it cooled and a light fog started to move in. so at that we pulled our traps and called an end to the outing.
So all in all I'd call it a good day out.

Reactions: Shaun Solomon, jamisonace, Fishpdx and 1 other person
jamisonace
jamisonace
I need me some black bass. It's been too long. Thanks for the report.

G
Gulfstream
We went last Friday and must have got 300 crabs with 6 pots. About 260 were the size of baseballs, and the others were about a 1/8 inch short, We ended up with 14 keepers for 2 hrs

Reactions: Fishpdx and plumbertom
Casting Call
Casting Call
G...s $450.00 worth of crab, not bad. $12.50 per pound, times 2.5 pounds per crab=$31.5, times 14 crabs=$440.00. Not too shabby eh! Tony

Bob Budesa
Bob Budesa
Two of us were out last week with similar results, both with the pots and the fishing. Beautiful weather, but marginal results. The crabs we caught were all pretty full, and very sweet.

I wonder how long it takes for Dungies to get from 4-5" to 5.75"? With all the little fellas down there, one of these days there's gonna be plenty to go around.

Still, a day on the water is better than sitting at home watching the Price is Right!

Reading about pots in deep water reminds me of several years ago trying to fight the wind and rain looking for that last pot that went under. We use Maps.me to mark our locations so we can at least be in the ballpark when things go south, and we finally extended the hook and dredged the last one home.

Reactions: plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom
I don't really know how fast they grow but it must be fairly quickly.
According the ODFW info a legal grab is around 4 нears old.