Planning another OFF get together and need your help!

L
lonewolf
I'm not sure what I might of put in my bio right now. But if you want to check up on me, you can find a lot of my post's on the finnaddicts.us (nottrying to advertise other sites here just give info on me, so sorry if I broke any rules..) I've been on this site for several years now as well as others before that, that have fallen by the way side as a lot of these type sites do.
And if you want to know anything about me, just ask. As I said I'll be moved to Southern Or. by the 1st week of June, though I probably won't be able to get a fishing license for what, 6 monthes? But wouldn't stop me from enjoying some time on the water as a deck hand net boy, steering whatever even just along for the ride. LOL:) w/new friends
Paul

Reactions: BaldTexan
K
killigan
Having never been to Detroit lake, I was hoping to get a little info from a local on the fishery since we are having the get together there. I was just wondering if the usual trout/kokanee gear and tactics are the go to method here? I'm pretty sure I'll be trolling mostly. Thanks to anyone who has some local info! :thumb:

P
pinstriper
hobster said:
:lol: no doubt! Crazy

OK, I just reserved the campsite. Southshore campground at Detroit lake, site #15 loop 2 for Friday July 14th and Saturday July 15th. Hope we have a good turnout, it will be a blast either way! Looking forward to it :thumb:

So how does this work ? I have a truck and a teardrop. Do I get my own reso, or is there space in what you booked ?

hobster
hobster
pinstriper;n604297 said:
So how does this work ? I have a truck and a teardrop. Do I get my own reso, or is there space in what you booked ?

A teardrop? Don't cry :sad: Horrible joke I know. The campsite should be plenty big for all of us and there should be parking as well. I think Tony reserved an extra spot also with space. I wouldn't worry about space, if worst comes to worse we might have to pay a little extra for parking. Judging from previous gatherings I don't think that will be an issue.

How does it work? Just show up and have a great time!!

P
pinstriper
Ok, I'll be there with my kayak.

C
CastingCall
killigan;n604272 said:
Having never been to Detroit lake, I was hoping to get a little info from a local on the fishery since we are having the get together there. I was just wondering if the usual trout/kokanee gear and tactics are the go to method here? I'm pretty sure I'll be trolling mostly. Thanks to anyone who has some local info! :thum b:

It's all good! The lake will have been stocked several times before all get there. Bank, trolling, fly. and bass fishing. AROUND the lake. Hot showers, lodging ,stores. bait shop, motorboat ramp and restaurants. Lots todo for everyone. Tony

C
CastingCall
killigan;n604272 said:
Having never been to Detroit lake, I was hoping to get a little info from a local on the fishery since we are having the get together there. I was just wondering if the usual trout/kokanee gear and tactics are the go to method here? I'm pretty sure I'll be trolling mostly. Thanks to anyone who has some local info! :thumb:

I troll with a flatfish at the end of the leader as a shallow diver, up from that I use an 18" dropper worm/fly/spinner at 11/2 mph works for me. I also like to fly fish up breitenbush or north santiam. Tony

P
pinstriper
CastingCall;n604362 said:
It's all good! The lake will have been stocked several times before all get there. Bank, trolling, fly. and bass fishing is all AROUND the lake. Hot showers, lodging ,stores. bait shop, motorboat ramp and restaurants. Lots todo for everyone. Tony

I thought we're at South Shore. My info says no showers, vault toilet, no hookups in the "RV" sites, which just means a parking spot and a fire ring, maybe a picnic table. No water or electric.

C
CastingCall
Pinstriper I don't about "your info" My read was "AROUND the lake" You will have to go to the Town of Idana, turn west(blowout rd.) to get to the" south shore " of the lake. "South Shore Campgrounds" is just that! campgrounds, No Elect, and no showers. Showers can be had in Idana where you turn off the main road at the first bridge on the SanT R. Tony

C
CastingCall
FYI coin operated showers are to be had @ Cove creek CG. Tony.

C
CastingCall
I did mention earlier about having a swap meet at the gathering. Good idea Tony!. So everyone start looking around the gear you have that you want to trade. Let me start by saying that I am looking for a center pin reel. I have trout, salmon and fly rod and reel combo's also tenkara rods. I may have a single cable boat steering set up for a console. I will post other stuff in the weeks to come. I hope you OFFers will post the same for the July gathering. Tony

C
CastingCall
CastingCall;n604392 said:
I did mention earlier about having a swap meet at the gathering. Good idea Tony!. So everyone start looking around the gear you have that you want to trade. Let me start by saying that I am looking for a center pin reel. I have trout, salmon and fly rod and reel combo's also tenkara rods. I may have a single cable boat steering set up for a console. I will post other stuff in the weeks to come. I hope you OFFers will post the same for the July gathering. Tony

I also have a older minn-kota elect troll mtr. to throw into the trade mix. Still looking for a center-pin reel. Tony

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Is anyone bringing a multiple seating boat? I can bring DB w/kicker. I've never been to Detroit lake, will it be like Hagg in the afternoon covered in water skiers?

Good idea about the swap meet Tony, I'll see what I've got.

hobster
hobster
I have a row boat or a canoe I can bring along with a pontoon or two, that's about it. Never been there either, hopefully not with the water skiers!

Swap is a cool idea, wish I had more stuff, i'll try to dig something up.

P
pinstriper
I'm bringing my kayak, but willing to enjoy the social element of someone else's boat, too.

I've only banked the place, too early and too little water for water skiiing.

T
troutmasta
The lake is massive. The water skiers wont be an issue.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
troutmasta;n604810 said:
The lake is massive. The water skiers wont be an issue.

Great! I'll bring the boat.

C
CastingCall
For those who didn't know, boat rentals are available. Power and non-power(yaks&canoes). Tony

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Where do things stand if the lake is still toxic get together weekend?

C
CastingCall
Hooked Up;n604924 said:
Where do things stand if the lake is still toxic get together weekend?

IMO I believe that come mid-July that the blue algae will be gone. I have made a commitment for 5 days cost and time. I also told hobbs that I would pay my share of his #15 site before I decided to book a longer stay of my own site #16. All are welcome to join me after the week-end gathering. WTBS IMO I believe with the abnormal high temps ending a long winter and 70/80s just resent came along right when Mother Nature said to all the chlorophyll plants (wakee wakee it's time to have a photosynthesis party)in the shallow waters, hence blue algae. IMO with July temps being the most hot time of the year along with a real high snow pack that the run off to the lake will be cooler by the annual July high temps. I believe as I mentioned in an earlier post that it will COLD and deep. I will check my fishing network and get eyes-on as the conditions progress. There are other places to fish. The tribs to the lake have great river fishing. The North Santiam and Breitenbush rivers have no blooms. Keep in mind that this an annual gathering to meet one another as someone mentioned that they may not be camping. I am looking forward to meeting you OFFers. Tony p.s. does anyone know where the refrigerator hole is on the N.S .?