Planning another OFF get together and need your help!

D
DirectDrive
white girl wasted

:lol:

J
JeannaJigs
I remember shane tossing all his soaking wet **** in the back of my jeep and taking a nap in someone's vehicle. He literally slept on the ground at the bottom of the lowest point in camp lol. Poor shane. I was snug as a bug in my tent but I wasn't gonna trout fish in that awful weather lol.

I camped at crane about a month ago. It was 75 during the day and beautiful. At night it dropped to 29 and I woke up with ice inside my tent lol. Crane has some good options. It gets my vote. I'll even be able to attend if it's not memorial weekend or the week after memorial weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

T
troutmasta
JeannaJigs said:
Crane has some good options. It gets my vote.

Me too. Lets do it Barb.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Crane is definitely in the running. It is about a 3 hour drive from Salem and does offer a ton of options for camping if we decide to make it a camp over trip. If we do camp, I would like to toss the idea of a potluck into the mix. I know we have some amazing cooks in our midst. I want to hold OFF making a final decision for a few more days to give others a chance to see the post and voice their opinions. (but I am getting excited :thumb:)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
JeannaJigs said:
I camped at crane about a month ago. It was 75 during the day and beautiful. At night it dropped to 29 and I woke up with ice inside my tent lol. Crane has some good options. It gets my vote. I'll even be able to attend if it's not memorial weekend or the week after memorial weekend.

those dates, June at least a week after Memorial Day, would allow Rachelle and I to attend, probably camp at least 3 days, and I could bring both our Hobie's and that means one kayak to loan out...

troutmasta said:
Me too. Lets do it Barb.

Fishing in Oregon, 11th edition, Crane Prairie: "A large, very rich reservoir fed by the headwaters of the Deschutes River. In a beautiful setting and productive for very large rainbows, brook trout, and large-mouth bass. CP is one of Oregon's premier fisheries. Relatively shallow water, abundant cover, and dense insect populations make this a fly fishing paradise.... Boats or inflatables are necessary to reach good fishing."

2 miles south, by Wickiup reservoir, are North and South Twin Lakes which are small but appear to be heavily stocked in May and have lots of bank fishing space...

cheers, roger

Last edited:
P
pinstriper
What's the rattlesnake situation at CP ?

T
troutmasta
pinstriper said:
What's the rattlesnake situation at CP ?

Shoot em I think ;-)

P
pinstriper
troutmasta said:
Shoot em I think ;-)

I take that to mean they are found there and with opportunities for encounters. Yikes !

What is the rattlesnake situation at Wikiup ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
BaldTexan
I've been down there a few times and haven't seen any but I didn't go hiking around in the brush looking for them!

T
TimberTodd
I believe the snake bite you need to worry about is the one getting passed around the campfire.;)

J
JeannaJigs
I've never seen any in the high lakes area but I'm sure they're there, why wouldn't they be when I've found them in eugene lol. That said I will absolutely not take my dog to the lower Deschutes or the crooked except for the dead of winter after a good freeze, but I always take my dog to the high lakes in the summer. I camp at lava lake every year and do a lot of hiking in the sisters wilderness and I've yet to see one.

A side note, most of the campgrounds up there now are on a reservation basis, and are usually very full. Something to think about.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Jeanna, are there unimproved area's available at any that would not need a reservation? Just a thought, we could rent a porta potty if there are spots.

B
BaldTexan
I usually camp by the arm of Crane Prairie up by the dam. Gravel road, unimproved camping, free :)

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
BaldTexan said:
I usually camp by the arm of Crane Prairie up by the dam. Gravel road, unimproved camping, free :)

That's what I'm talking about! Thanks. How close is it to the water?

B
BaldTexan
Right at the water. There aren't any "marked" camp sites, although there are a few random fire pits. Check it on Google Maps satellite view. I've been there a few times and there was never more than a handful of pop up campers. There are no port-a-potties. There may be some decent bank fishing in that arm but I've never really explored it. Looks "bassy" closer to the dam.

O
OnTheDrop
No rattlesnake issues at any of the lakes mentioned. Fishing will be on fire at CP. I'd attend if it's after Spring Chinook season, as I'm in Bend fishing most the summer anyways. My favorite arm on Crane is the Quinn Channel.

Crane has some of the biggest and healthiest rainbows in the state, well it use to anyhow, but it's still good.

Another great option is my all time favorite 'East Lake'. If the event is early enough in the season, there is a lot of bank access as opposed to CP. Anytime after June, though, forget about bank fishing unless your throwing flys because of veg growth.

Cheers,

O
OnTheDrop
No rattlesnake issues at any of the lakes mentioned. Fishing will be on fire at CP. I'd attend if it's after Spring Chinook season, as I'm in Bend fishing most the summer anyways. My favorite arm on Crane is the Quinn Channel.

Crane has some of the biggest and healthiest rainbows in the state, well it use to anyhow, but it's still good.

Another great option is my all time favorite 'East Lake'. If the event is early enough in the season, there is a lot of bank access as opposed to CP. Anytime after June, though, forget about bank fishing unless your throwing flys because of veg growth.

Cheers,

D
DirectDrive
SteelmonKiller20 said:

Cheers,
What, no snakes ?

• IMGP3543 I.jpg
  • IMGP3540 I.jpg
Admin
Admin
Go OFFers! )

P
pinstriper
Yikes where is that ? Do not want.