From Florida to Oregon!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Florida to Oregon!

Just settled in at a townhouse in Springfield Oregon, moved 2997 miles from Niceville Florida. (Above Destin in the Panhandle)

I've spent my whole life fishing, freshwater, inshore, and offshore. I'm 23, just graduated from UWF with a B.A. in Maritime Studies and Anthropology.

Focused the last few years on inshore and freshwater fishing but Oregon will be a totally blank slate for me. I have done some inshore fly fishing, but no cold water trout. Also never caught a smallmouth!

I'm not sure if I'll get out there any time soon, as the licensing here is much more complicated and definitely a pretty penny. (Although I think it's 21$ a for a non-resident day pass?) Going to track down the law book tomorrow.

If you recognize my username, I'm also a member of Pensacola fishing forum, duramaxforum, garage journal, multitool.org, and a few smaller groups.

I've been doing some research in-between unpacking, and I am light-years behind in gear for sure, when we Wade fish in Florida all we need a is a bathing suit and pliers lol! I did bring all my spinning and casting gear.

Look forward getting out there! Enjoy some pics from this summer for now.

Attached Files

Welcome. Invest in some good rain gear for the serious fishing.

Comment

Welcome to Oregon Dude! My Mothers side of the family is from Fla. Tampa area. Just curious is the 4th picture an infomouse Snook? My son lives in Springfield, nice place to live.
      DON'T BELIEVE EVERY THING YOU THINK!

Comment

Originally posted by EOBOY
        Welcome to Oregon Dude! My Mothers side of the family is from Fla. Tampa area. Just curious is the 4th picture an infomouse Snook? My son lives in Springfield, nice place to live.
        Close!

That is actually an upper slot sized redfish.

This is a snook, they are typically a little farther south in Florida than where I was, they need warmer water.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by C_Run
          Welcome. Invest in some good rain gear for the serious fishing.
          It's on the list!

I've got a set of Cabela's "Dry-Plus" bibs and jacket system, but it's getting old enough that it isn't quite waterproof anymore.

Is it better to invest in waders and a really nice jacket? Or bibs again?

Comment

Originally posted by NKlamerus View Post
            It's on the list!

I've got a set of Cabela's "Dry-Plus" bibs and jacket system, but it's getting old enough that it isn't quite waterproof anymore.

Someone else can weigh in as to what advisable. I don't wade anymore and just stick to the bank with rubber boots and rain gear. Everyone else seems to have some form of waders, though.

Comment

It's on the list!

Get yourself a pair of neo-prem waders, warmer, and make sure you get felt bottom boots.

Comment

getting a license is pretty easy. most sporting goods stores sell them. almost as easy as catching SMB.

Comment

Originally posted by wils
                  getting a license is pretty easy. most sporting goods stores sell them. almost as easy as catching SMB.
                  It's not finding the license, it's paying for it!!

Oregon bends ya over compared to Florida, especially when it comes to vehicles

Although so far I will say the vehicles on the road here are in much better condition overall, just dirtier.

Comment

It's not finding the license, it's paying for it!!

Oregon bends ya over compared to Florida, especially when it comes to vehicles

Although so far I will say the vehicles on the road here are in much better condition overall, just dirtier.
                    Welcome to the Blue side of the country. Be glad you didn't move to Cali.

Comment

Originally posted by wils

Welcome to the Blue side of the country. Be glad you didn't move to Cali.
                      Saw that coming lol!!

You definitely get what you pay for over here. Lots more management it seems like,

When populations get low in Florida they just lock down recreation anglers and let the commercial guys keep going.

Comment

Originally posted by EOBOY

Get yourself a pair of neo-prem waders, warmer, and make sure you get felt bottom boots.
                        Any recommendations?

I'm generally very warm natured, I'm also 6'3", 260lbs, and wear a 14/15 shoe, which might be harder to find locally in a wading boot.

Everyone I've talked too had the studded boot bottoms, but felt over nothing.

Comment

I would recommend breathable over neoprene on the wader choice

Comment

Originally posted by Gulfstream View Post
                            I would recommend breathable over neoprene on the wader choice
                            I will second that. I switched to them about 4 years ago, and I don't think I will ever go back. Mine have sock feet, and I wear a pair of Muck boots over the top of them. No felt or no studs. I have never had a problem. When it is cold out I simply layer up.

Welcome to Oregon!

Comment

Originally posted by TheKnigit View Post

I will second that. I switched to them about 4 years ago, and I don't think I will ever go back. Mine have sock feet, and I wear a pair of Muck boots over the top of them. No felt or no studs. I have never had a problem. When it is cold out I simply layer up.

Welcome to Oregon!
                              I switched to Neo's because I was tired of being cold, i guess it's just a matter of choice. I do use breathable when it warms up or just go naked

Comment

Originally posted by EOBOY View Post

I switched to Neo's because I was tired of being cold, i guess it's just a matter of choice. I do use breathable when it warms up or just go naked
                                That is probably the most important bit of info. I use mine for waterfowl hunting, as well as fishing, and I have a decent walk to the blind in each one of my spots. I got really tired of walking in neo's after a couple of years of having them. As long as they are comfortable for you, and they keep the water on the outside, then they are probably a pretty good choice.

Comment

I'll probably end up with breathable versions, I'm generally pretty warm and I heat up quick.

Either way I'm getting tired of wading in Crocs and shorts already!

Comment

I've also moved from FL to the PNW, actually WA to FL and back to WA. I think the fishing is much better here for bass which sounds crazy, but the quality is much better and the pressure is much less.

Comment

Working...
                                    X