Cascades elk?

Z
ZeeBorn
This year I decided I wanted to start learning about elk hunting. I got a general Cascades bull elk tag (oct. 15-21) but I don't have anyone to go with that already knows what they are doing. With the entire Oregon Cascade range to chose from I'm having trouble deciding where to go. What altitude range should I be looking in and what kind of habitat are they going to be seeking out this time of year? Really any information you have to share about this hunt or elk in general will be help full. :D
Thanks guys,
Nate

Reactions: OnTheFly
R
RunWithSasquatch
Elk hunting in general is not good last minute hunt. Sounds like your first season is going to be all exploring and scouting for next year. I'd suggest to hit it hard, learn a lot, and save information for fallowing seasons.

Hopefully you'll find something!

G
GDBrown
I agree with the "Runner" but you may just be one of those LUCKY first timers so give it a shot!

GD

Z
ZeeBorn
Yeah I definitely don't have any expectation that I will take an animal on my first try. At this point I'm looking at it as a scouting trip with my rifle. If I get lucky that would be great but really I'm just trying to learn what I can. I'm pretty sure I want to stick to the eastern side just to get out of the dense woods of the west side but other than that I don't know.

T
the_intimidator03
just in my general understanding of elk, they prefer dense woods/brush for cover rather than open country persay. but thats just my general understanding so hopefully someone else will chime in on this

J
juggernaut506
Heavy cover away from logging roads. Draws with water and broad leaf trees are good spots. Study an area with Google Earth and look for flat areas near streams that have no logging roads for at least half a mile or more. That'll probably be your best bet.

D
DB Crouper
ZeeBorn said:
This year I decided I wanted to start learning about elk hunting. I got a general Cascades bull elk tag (oct. 15-21) but I don't have anyone to go with that already knows what they are doing. With the entire Oregon Cascade range to chose from I'm having trouble deciding where to go. What altitude range should I be looking in and what kind of habitat are they going to be seeking out this time of year? Really any information you have to share about this hunt or elk in general will be help full. :D
Thanks guys,
Nate

You have bitten OFF a chunk. Get on ODFW website, and search hunting rescources for previous year's harvest by Unit and Hunt. Lots of info there to sort through, and typically low success rate, but some units are better than others. If you are worried about open habitat to hunt in, your elk hunting life will be short. Find an area that has elk sign and hunt it hard. You really should do some scouting, but time is short. Be careful out there if you are alone.

A
alseaalumaweld
Google Earth is your freind

Z
ZeeBorn
Cool thanks. Yeah I have been looking at google maps a lot and have found a few good looking out of the way spots that are fairly flat with water. I also got my first GPS today so I don't get lost. I'll still use a compass too just in case something happens to the gps. Also i got a set of calls that i have been practicing with. Starting to sound like an elk too!

T
the_intimidator03
you know, that reminds me of a story of my childhood (not too long ago) I used to play the trumpet and thought i sounded pretty decent. however my brother said it sounded more closely related to the sound of a dying moose. sorry Its something that popped into my head. what kind of elk call are you using?

D
DB Crouper
Yes, hunt around water, even if it upsets the neighbors.:lol:

• elkjuly2011 014.JPG
  • julyelk2011-2 001.JPG
L
Lastcast
nice bull and i agree Eastern Oregon is the way to go...

J
juggernaut506
Be careful with calling. You may get a young bull that is looking for a cow that wasn't bred yet but the calling will help him pin point your location and he'll circle to try and catch your wind. Even when they're in the rut bulls will try that so good cover scents are a must. Try the HS scent wafers and pin one on your hat. If you get the cow estrus scent I hope you don't have a weak stomach.

Z
ZeeBorn
Yeah, i tryed learning the trumpet when i was in the 6th grade and so I'm familiar with that sound.:lol: I don't think it would bring in any bulls though.
In the video that came with the calls some of the guys they show hunting had little disks pined to there hats and I was wondering what it was, and now I know. I'll definitely have to look into that.

D
DB Crouper
Cover scents and scent killers are an aid, but you can't completely cover human scent from an elk. ALWAYS pay attention and hunt into the wind. Spend a few bucks on a bottle of Smoke.

Z
ZeeBorn
Anyone ever hunt in the Jefferson Wilderness? I have been lookingat that area a lot on GE and it looks real nice. I'll probably end up going somewhere arround there unless anyone has any reason why I shouldn't.

J
juggernaut506
I'd imagine it would be good. The Detroit area has lots of animals also. I'd check that out also.

J
JodysaHoser
We always saw elk when hunting around Miller lake. Walk the Pacific Crest trail for a ways and then head into the wilderness. This is not a road hunters paradise. The elk move into the roadless areas during buck season and tend to stay there. Good luck and bring lots of water.

Z
ZeeBorn
Yeah, that was my thought. Hike in and get away from any sign of people. I have a water purifier packed and with plenty of streams and small ponds around water shouldn't be a problem.

Z
ZeeBorn
Well I'm all packed up and ready to head out in the morning. I'll let you guys know how I did when get back later next week. :cool: