Spinning rod casting distance

M
motaha
Hello,

I have a USSP902M uglystik rod paired with a Daiwa strikeforce 4000-b with a 12lb mono. I was trying to cast size 3 and 4 Vibrax spinners but my casting distance wasn't good, the cast wasn't smooth and the line had like half loops (wasn't straight/tight). What is causing this rod, reel, bait or line? I know that casting distance depends on me as well but the feeling of the line leaving the reel was different than other setups I used.

Thanks

P
pinstriper
motaha said:
Hello,

I have a USSP902M uglystik rod paired with a Daiwa strikeforce 4000-b with a 12lb mono. I was trying to cast size 3 and 4 Vibrax spinners but my casting distance wasn't good, the cast wasn't smooth and the line had like half loops (wasn't straight/tight). What is causing this rod, reel, bait or line? I know that casting distance depends on me as well but the feeling of the line leaving the reel was different than other setups I used.

Thanks

How long has that line been on the reel ? Spinning reels will introduce line twist, and then age (and heat) will set it.

If the answer is more than 2 years, I’d be stripping it and reloading it with new line.

troutdude
troutdude
Great advice. I also typically stretch out my mono line, a few times during the season. Just attach a hook, to a tree in your yard (park, school field, etc), and walk back 100 yards or so. Tighten the drag, and reel in slowly. While keeping tension on the line (a bend in the rod tip). And walk back, to the hook. But this is of no avail, if your line is old.

Also...if your rod has a heavy, or medium, action...it won't cast as well as one with lighter action.

M
motaha
pinstriper;n610656 said:
How long has that line been on the reel ? Spinning reels will introduce line twist, and then age (and heat) will set it.

If the answer is more than 2 years, I’d be stripping it and reloading it with new line.

I don't know, I bought it already spooled around 3-4month ago (mid-Dec 2017). My rod is medium action I think. Do I need to change my line?

P
pinstriper
troutdude;n610663 said:
Great advice. I also typically stretch out my mono line, a few times during the season. Just attach a hook, to a tree in your yard (park, school field, etc), and walk back 100 yards or so. Tighten the drag, and reel in slowly. While keeping tension on the line (a bend in the rod tip). And walk back, to the hook. But this is of no avail, if your line is old.

Also...if your rod has a heavy, or medium, action...it won't cast as well as one with lighter action.

Yeah, I thought about this after my post, but was too lazy to....I mean, I was WORKING....to post/edit. If the line wasn't under tension as it was spooled, and then you put a bunch of tension on a loaded spool (like fighting a fish, pulling OFF a snag) the outer layer cuts into the inner and it won't come OFF the spool smoothly, which was described.

But the curlies after casting is the dead giveaway that the line is too old. Yeah, when in doubt, respool with new line.

troutdude
troutdude
pinstriper;n610698 said:
But the curlies after casting is the dead giveaway that the line is too old. Yeah, when in doubt, respool with new line.

BAM! Great advice. And don't skimp, if possible. Get the best quality that, you can afford.

M
motaha
troutdude;n610700 said:
BAM! Great advice. And don't skimp, if possible. Get the best quality that, you can afford.

Thank you all. I will get a new line any brand suggestions? I will use this rod for steelhead/salmon or bass. I currently have a 12lb mono on it. Last time I was fishing for steelhead all of the other anglers had yellow braided lines. So, should I get a braided line?

EOBOY
EOBOY
motaha;n610702 said:
Thank you all. I will get a new line any brand suggestions? I will use this rod for steelhead/salmon or bass. I currently have a 12lb mono on it. Last time I was fishing for steelhead all of the other anglers had yellow braided lines. So, should I get a braided line?

Depends! If your jigging with a bobber Braided is fine if your drift fishing go with Mono.

P
pinstriper
I'm hard pressed to come up with a single line to spool up for bass, steelhead, AND salmon.

Maybe 30# braid mainline, and tie on 6'-20' of mono leader in anything from 6# (bass) to 10/12# (steelhead) to 25/40# (salmon). That covers a lot of ground.

Next problem will be finding a rod that is appropriate for all of those. I'm stumped.

Oh, and the reel better have a GOOD drag system for the steelhead and especially salmon. So I'm not convinced of the idea of a single setup that would work well across all of that.

S
Senkosam
pinstripe gives advice I agree with: braid / finding a rod that is appropriate /reel better have a GOOD drag system for the steelhead and especially salmon.

The only difference would be to use fluorocarbon leader. A 7' medium action rod with flexible tip cast light lures like spinners a long distance yet allows good hooksets and playing large fish. Mono has many drawbacks and I no longer use it - line curl just one of them from just sitting on the reel for a few months.

Reactions: Troutski