Switching rods

L
Luis Dominguez
so I tried looking for an answer online but couldnt find it. I have a 9' rod with no reel, can I put a reel from my 7' rod onto the 9'?

Casting Call
Casting Call
Yes! Says Tony

C_Run
C_Run
Sure. I've had more rods than reels so usually mixing and matching is what I have been doing. I've been working towards having a dedicated reel for every rod and am almost there. Make sure your line is right for what you want to fish for.

L
Luis Dominguez
Thanks guys!

L
Lancep51
Unless you have a 9ft fly rod then you might be outta luck.

troutdude
troutdude
Generally speaking; I agree with Tony. But I try to find the proper balance of the weight of the reel, to the rod. With the reel attached, can you balance the rod on one finger held under the top of the handle? So the rod is horizontal, to the ground? If so, you have acheived Nirvana (in terms of balance). Doing this, reduces wrist/arm fatigue.

Good luck; and be sure to post your stories and pics!

C
ChezJfrey
troutdude;n601999 said:
Doing this, reduces wrist/arm fatigue.

C'mon man...like the rod balance is gonna reduce my arm fatigue when steelhead are constantly dragging me down river at breakneck speed. That reel size/weight is the furthest thing causing the fatigue problem. ;)

troutdude
troutdude
What? I am not allowed, to offer my suggestions? Why not?

D
DrTheopolis
He was pulling your leg, bro.

But he fishes the Clack, so he doesn't hook any fish, anyway, since there aren't any in Willamette tribs. (See, now I'm pulling your leg.)

D
DonF
Luis Dominguez said:
so I tried looking for an answer online but couldnt find it. I have a 9' rod with no reel, can I put a reel from my 7' rod onto the 9'?
Shoot you could put any reel on it! What will happen is the whole rig gets thrown out of balance. It will still catch some fish but not as well or as much fun as a rig set up that is balanced. You could put that UL reel on it and 50# mono and set the drag to say 2# to protect the reel but you won't catch many salmon like that! of course you could put on the 50 # mono and set the drag to 20# and good chance the first salmon will destroy your reel. Balance the set up.