Sweet smoked salmon / squaw candy/ salmon candy

Here is the final recipe I settled on after much trial and error for this delicious treat. This is for one large filet of Sockeye Salmon.

For the brine use...
1 1/2 cups dark pure brown sugar
1/4 cup sea salt
1/2 cup filtered honey
1/2 cup pure maple syrup... it costs a bit more but is worth it to avoid unnecessary additives.
2 tbs garlic powder
1/2 gallon of water

Mix these ingredients together until water is super saturated, meaning that there is no sediment and water is very dark in color like mollasses.

Now remove pin bones and cut the filet into 1 inch wide strips across the length of the filet.
you can choose to filet the skin off before or after this step.

layer the pieces of meat in the brine in a glass dish that will hold the contents. Do not use metal bowls or most plastics. Glass is the best.
Let the mixture brine for 8 to 18 hours. The longer the saltier.

I have found that 8 to 12 hours actually works best.

remove the fish meat and place skewers through the thickest portion of the meat, backstrap... and hang to air dry for 2-4 hours. Do not pat dry or rinse.

Sweet smoked salmon / squaw candy/ salmon candy

The smoke time I use is based on an aussie charcoal water cooled smoker.
I only use 2-3 charcoal chunks, the wood ones not the briquets.
I also use Alder wood for the smoke.

The smoker internal temp should be between 100 to 120 degrees F.

Hang the meat the same way you did when drying it, in the smoker. Smoke the meat until edges are transluscent. Usually about 5-12 hours depending on size of filet.

A glaze can be made from 3 tbs honey and 1 tbs apple cider vinegar, 1 cup water to be applied only once halfway through smoking.

H
halibuthitman
here is another style of cutting and hanging sockeye... myself I cold smoke for 12 hrs and take it up to 120 for one hour at the end... nice looking fish mr lindemin-

Last edited by a moderator:
M
mrlindeman
Eventually that is my plan Hitman, that is a great setup! I live in a condo so I have not built my Cedar box yet ;) I actually want to make an underground piped smoker someday. That would rock!!!!

S
steelhead_slayer
I'm going toy try some this week. Let you know how it turns out