Vintage rod rateing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage rod rateing

If a vintage rod line rating is 4 to 10lbs does that mean that 20lb braid can be used because it is the size of 8lb line? Tony

IMO a line rating probably relates more to weight, than it does diameter. But I wouldn't be afraid to try casting it, in the yard. To see how well it works, or not. You'd want to know how it casts, before you hit the water. But you know that. ha ha ha
    Last edited by troutdude; 02-10-2018, 03:02 AM.

Comment

I'd be careful with that, using 20 lb. braid is fine for the reel but you could easily snap your rod with that kind of rating. Have your drag real loose is my advice!

Comment

Thanks guys! I was thinking of using 20lb braid as backing on my center pin float rod. No major casting involved. Tony

Comment

Good point Hobster. Good luck CC.

Comment

Vintage rods guides a lot of the time will not hold up to the braid and it could cut groves in them.

Comment

thanks all. the end Tony

Comment

Now that i think about it i use 30 lb braid for my steelhead float rods. One is 4-10 rating (and a blast to fight steel on), i just keep the leader no heavier than the rod rating so it is not overloaded. Loose drag too, you'll be fine Tony, have fun!

Comment

Working...
                X