Is a seal attack the same as shark attack?

Casting Call
Casting Call
Saw in the news of seal attacks on three different days of seal attacks in San Francisco. The beach was closed to swimmers. What are the implications of such attacks? Will seal acquire a taste for human flesh and blood? Will someone have to die before something is done about the over population in certain areas? How do you think this will play out? Will Oregon fallow the California response to such attacks? Tony

P
pinstriper
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Seals and Sea Lions can attack people, drive species extinct, etc. with impunity.

The only way they get targeted is if millennials and hipsters develop a taste for sriracha pan fried seal tacos from a food cart.

Seals and Sea Lions are gluten free, by the way.

Reactions: Troutski and EOBOY
Troutski
Troutski
Casting Call;n608685 said:
Saw in the news of seal attacks on three different days of seal attacks in San Francisco. The beach was closed to swimmers. What are the implications of such attacks? Will seal acquire a taste for human flesh and blood? Will someone have to die before something is done about the over population in certain areas? How do you think this will play out? Will Oregon fallow the California response to such attacks? Tony

Very well said, although I would never.... Thanks...

Chuck
check out the bite marks on the tail...

• photo31923.jpg
  • Seal Bait Steelhead....jpg
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Out of curiosity, did the reports that you saw happen to say what species of seal or sea lion they were? I would also be interested to know the circumstances of the attacks. Were the folks swimming and enjoying the water when they were struck by a "shark" style attack, or were the seals on the beach and someone thought it would be a good idea to try and pet the "cute fuzzy seal".

I am not sure I subscribe to the thought that they will develop a taste for humans, but I do believe that certain species are relatively veracious predators and will do whatever they need to to get a meal when their population numbers reaches a certain point and their primary food source cannot sustain them. This could put swimmers, surfers, and fisherman in their sights in certain circumstances. Which I guess is kind of the same thing.

I am not sure what it will take to control the populations, and I certainly hope that no one has to die. I am not sure how they would do it but I would like to see them managed using hunting draw tags, rather than a mass killing or relocation that doesn't seem to work. I would buy a tag if they were available. I will eat anything once.

Reactions: Troutski
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Mass killing would work!:popcorn:

B
billfisher
GaryP1958;n608739 said:
Mass killing would work!:popcorn:

x2 crab food!:)

Casting Call
Casting Call
TheKnigit;n608738 said:
Out of curiosity, did the reports that you saw happen to say what species of seal or sea lion they were? I would also be interested to know the circumstances of the attacks. Were the folks swimming and enjoying the water when they were struck by a "shark" style attack, or were the seals on the beach and someone thought it would be a good idea to try and pet the "cute fuzzy seal".

FMI Do some homework! I am no expert on seals. I know what I know. I just informed this forum. Tony

Reactions: Troutski
L
LingFace
I wonder if seal skin is good for boot leather?

P
pinstriper
I dunno. Let's find out.

Reactions: TheKnigit
Top Bottom