How much do you pitch in when a friend takes you fishing?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Lingface makes a good point.....I would never expect someone to pay a dime if they can't afford it. But gratitude goes just as far as cash with me. I fished with an OFF member that thanked me about 4300 times on our float. I never expected anything more from him.

I guess it's not all about the expense but appreciation too.

but if you can afford it, pitch in.

troutdude
troutdude
LingFace;n607338 said:
After re-reading this thread, I would like to point out that a BUII is no funner than a DUII. So be wise with the "cider".

Always. And, personally, I never drink more than one (at home, or out on a float).

P
pinstriper
I think it depends. Never less than an even split, then adjusted for things like who did all the rowing, etc.

Wear and tear on the rig, the boat, and the fact that some of us are no help whatsoever at the ramp because we don't know what we're doing...to me that means extra gas money, picking up lunch or breakfast or whatever.

I'd rather have someone wave away the money because I offered too much than the other way around. That's one way to show gratitude IMO - to make the host not think twice about whether you're gonna cover your fair share.

Reactions: jamisonace
C
catphish
My brothers/friends/o'hana and I just split it depending on the number of us there. We end up buying each other beers at the Sea Hag or variant, and could care less if an invitee were to pitch in or not. It is always appreciated, but we dont own boats. My expenses are gas and what........time? Time spent with o'hana is time well spent. We only ever bring one googan at a time, if at all, and they always end up outfishing everyone anyway.

When invited, I always offer pay my share. Invites are rare, lol. I make sure to cover my end. My only friend w a boat is down in Eugene, so I am familiar w the cost's. You pay to play. If a log raft and cane pole, worked as well as this graphite and Alumaweld, we'd all be sittin' pretty.

(edit: I just notices this was post number 100, Im a slacker......)

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've always said, I'll never be a guide because I don't want it to feel like work.

Maybe my issue lately with certain people is that it feels like work.

Chromatose
Chromatose
jamisonace;n607356 said:
I've always said, I'll never be a guide because I don't want it to feel like work.

Seems you've answered your own question jamisonace. Just need to come to terms with what you need to do.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Chromatose;n607361 said:
Seems you've answered your own question jamisonace. Just need to come to terms with what you need to do.

Exactly

L
LingFace
jamisonace;n607356 said:

Besides if you wanted to spend 70 hours a week doing something miserable where you are constantly being signaled number one persona non-grata you would have a class A CDL.

Nobody should fish one minute longer than they are having fun.

H
Hookset
I always try to bring my own gear and pay for half of the gas. I also try to bring food and snacks for everyone. When it comes to taking people in my boat I feel it is nice to offer something for gas.

D
deewelch
I pitch in the same amount they pitch.

jamisonace
jamisonace
deewelch;n607514 said:
I pitch in the same amount they pitch.

You pitch in as much as who?

Troutski
Troutski
If I invite someone to go for a day of angling in my boat, that is exactly that; an invitation. I would never expect someone to feel obligated to pay anything, they are a guest. Now if someone ask me to take them out for a day of angling then that is a different story.
There use to be a forum on this site called Open Seat, what this was originally designed for was if someone was going angling anyway and had an open seat in there boat then why not offer it to a fellow OFFer at no charge, just helping a fellow angler out. Over the years this forum has changed into a split the cost of a day on the water... If one is going anyway then why does anyone need to feel obliged to pay anything. I guess I feel rather strongly on this subject, If I have an open seat in my craft I invite the next person on my friend list - who charges a friend to spend the day with.

Chuck

Reactions: LingFace, colt and Raincatcher
troutdude
troutdude
You da man Chuck!

C
colt
Like some people have said, if i extend an invite then it is because i am already going. I have never expected help when i take anyone and they usually have their own gear and bring their own food and drinks. But if i was invited, i pitched in and helped cover the cost of the trip, even if they said no.

Same for when i take friends hunting. Only one person helped with fuel and that was because he wouldnt let up on helping with cost. Just a few gallons to top off. I grew up with my dad doing it all and never hearing about his friends covering the cost except in tournaments and whatnot.

I have taken someone camping for a few days of the year steelhead fishing. I supply the gear and most everything and he brings some food and snacks. Never expected more or anything from anyone. Even if i was asked to take someone, unless i was hurting for cash i dont expect help. It makes me feel good that i can contribute to my friends.

After seeing this, it is sure nice to know people want to cover the cost of their end of the trip or help out. I am not a wealthy person by any means, but i work quite a lot of overtime so i can do the extra stuff i enjoy and afford to take people along on trips to the river or the mountain. I actually live almost paycheck to.paycheck with the mindset of not expecting anything from anyone. Life is too short for me to worry about trying to get others to pitch in when i get the satisfaction of watching their face when they have a good time or even reeling in a good one.

Reactions: Troutski and Casting Call
jamisonace
jamisonace
Interesting responses recently. Thank you.

Whether I'm invited or invite myself I'm going to pitch in. I would expect others to at least offer. I can decide whether I want to take it or not.

Today's guest brought donuts, gave me two 20's and bought lunch. Although, he gets invited because he's a great fisherman and a great person to hang with the help is appreciated.

S
Stumpy
Most of my boatmates are good with paying shares of the fuel and a little more.

One friend was invited with his wife for a 3 day trip. They cooked their own grub, etc,, so all was good there. I didn't mind much when he started telling me where he (and his wife) wanted dropped off to fish---sometimes way out of the way or where I was planning to fish. But at the end of the trip, there was no offer for expenses, nor even a thank you. His wife did say thanks for her first jet boat experience. He has moved to last place of folks to ask along.
I read somewhere along the line that a boat owner posted a sign in his boat about.... "gas, grass, a**, or greenbacks; the boat doesn't run for free." I almost wish I'd posted a similar sign when the folks above came along.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Stumpy;n607923 said:
Most of my boatmates are good with paying shares of the fuel and a little more.

One friend was invited with his wife for a 3 day trip. They cooked their own grub, etc,, so all was good there. I didn't mind much when he started telling me where he (and his wife) wanted dropped off to fish---sometimes way out of the way or where I was planning to fish. But at the end of the trip, there was no offer for expenses, nor even a thank you. His wife did say thanks for her first jet boat experience. He has moved to last place of folks to ask along.
I read somewhere along the line that a boat owner posted a sign in his boat about.... "gas, grass, a**, or greenbacks; the boat doesn't run for free." I almost wish I'd posted a similar sign when the folks above came along.

At least you kept them on the list. I boot those guys right off the list. I completely understand the frustration.