Old school gear

hobster
hobster
An older friend if mine gave me these fishing rods and reel because he didn't use them anymore. Not sure how old they are, they are well made and pretty cool. I really dig the Shimano rod, I know it has a "golfers grip" but the model number is scratched out. Also a walking stick someone made out of old rods :thumb: Feel free to post your old-school gear.

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPGIMG_0602.JPGIMG_0604.JPGIMG_0606.JPG

Reactions: billfisher and Admin
C_Run
C_Run
No Title

I bought three grab bags of lures at a thrift store. Total cost was $10.50. Not all was old school but there were a number of home made salmon spinners that looked fishy as well as a Ford Fender and a herring dodger that made it worthwhile.

troutdude
troutdude
The Swedish made Abu Garcia casting reels, are da bomb. I have several. Just watch out, for the newer one made in China. And the Browning Silaflex rod, is pretty cool. I have one of those too. Pre-Browning Silaflex rods, have a following. Ya got some cool stuff bruddah.

T
TimberTodd
The middle rod looks like its made for a spincast reel. I have one similar that my neighbor gave me, but the handle on yours is way cooler.

K
killigan
*Test post time related, I posted at 4:27pm*

hobster
hobster
troutdude;n601534 said:
The Swedish made Abu Garcia casting reels, are da bomb. I have several. Just watch out, for the newer one made in China. And the Browning Silaflex rod, is pretty cool. I have one of those too. Pre-Browning Silaflex rods, have a following. Ya got some cool stuff bruddah.

Thanks man, I know that Abu is sweet, i'm not sure if i want to use it cause it's in great shape. That Browning is one short stiff rod, probably for trolling. They are both for baitcasters TT, I want to try out that Shimano, I love the metal handle.

Great deal C Run, that's probably close to $100 in spinners.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
No Title

I have stuff my grandfather used in the 40s and 50s including several self rewind fly reels and I still use them will take pics later its too damn cold out to do the the shed! This however not fishing related is a way cool suitcase built by an imprisoned Japanese Soldier on the Islands of the Pacific I believe Saipan in the late 40s for my pops! He built it out of an P51 Mustang wing by hand for my dad and knowing how kind my dadl to that soldier an act of thankness!

troutdude
troutdude
"...and the coolest suitcase ever award goes to...Gary!!!"

troutdude
troutdude
Hello, my name is Jay...and I'm a fishing tackle addict.

Honestly; I will NEVER use all of the gear that I've collected. I've traveled all over Western Oregon, for the last 12 years (as an Outside Sales Rep). So I have been to MANY yard sales, flea markets, antique shops, pawn shops, thrift stores, estate sales, etc.

My pension, is vintage gear. One of my favorite--and more recent--discoveries, has been Lamiglas S-Glass Rods (and their fiberglass & graphite composite cousins). For "mass produced" pieces; they are a work of art.

Research has indicated that S-Glass was introduced to the market, around the same time that prototype graphite rods--were venturing into display cases. S-Glass blanks, are usually hollow. Many are nearly see-through.

As I recall, S-Glass was generally some 25% lighter than E-Glass (the previous standard, for decades). Plus I believe, it also usually has 25% greater flex. So it produces, a faster action. Or is it slower...geeze...my vintage brain cells, are deteriorating...LOL.

Anyway, I love those rods. Over time I've also encountered S-Glass rods, from other repected companies like Berkley and D.A.M. Quick. Two of my favorite trout spinnng/trolling rods, are a pair of 70's era Quicks. Any my primary trout trollers, are 7.5' Jared Johnson Team Kokanee Lami fiberglass rods (E-glass, I believe).

My arsenal is also equiped with, two different (yes two) Fenwick product lines. They include fine examples of their standard E-glass, "beer bottle" dark brown blanks. Plus several nice sticks, from what my friend Vic Johnson calls "Supreme Glass" product selections. The SG Fenny rods, have a near-translucent--opaque-like blank. It is also, a hollow glass. The other signature feature, nearly always, is a bronze colored reel seat (and typically matching locking rings). The standard series--on the other hand--included reels seats, with a dark purple coloration. The SG rods, are highly prized by many.

I've also been blessed to also collect many vintage reels, and four our five large tackle boxes full of old school lures. The thing is though; I'm not a purest. I buy old school stuff, that works. And I use it, as time--and fishing condtions--allow.

Anyway, I'll try posting some pics.

Last edited:
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
While very fine quality I have always found solid glass far superior! I have a lot of Fenwicks Roddfys etc the solid glass is the best

P
playhooky
Any idea what vintage this ol' girl is?d2e79edfb1a440e30ef7e5ffdd42d08a.jpge5c41c79d0c7d4d4bfe2f69f4ed4679d.jpg

hobster
hobster
^^^ I did some research on the Abu reels, look under the seat at the serial number. Turns out mine is a 1978

Third type: YYMMXX....year, month, revision. Late 1972 into the 1980s. (most common type)

IMG_0609.JPG

Reactions: Admin
C
ChezJfrey
troutdude;n601534 said:

Yeah, those Garcia reels are pretty much bullet proof and truly a gift. Don't know anything about the rods, but those reels are a sure score.

Troutski
Troutski
hobster;n601517 said:
An older friend if mine gave me these fishing rods and reel because he didn't use them anymore. Not sure how old they are, they are well made and pretty cool. I really dig the Shimano rod, I know it has a "golfers grip" but the model number is scratched out. Also a walking stick someone made out of old rods :thumb: Feel free to post your old-school gear.

I love and use old school gear, something about Glass Rods... I do have some newer Rods but I do own quite a few older Rods and Reels.

Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
Forgot to mention that when Don Green split off, from Fenwick, he made some early S-Glass rods--while he was at the helm, at Sage. Those early Sage rods, are suh-weet!

P.S. Vintage Little Cleo spoons, are da bomb!

troutdude
troutdude
Here is an article that I read, a few years back, in Field & Stream magazine. Its a list of, "The 50 Best Lures of All Time". I've owned and/or used, about 20 of the ones on this list. Number 2, is the world-famous Dardevle. COLLECTOR ALERT: The originals had, a copper colored reverse side. I search for them, often. But they are very rare, and elusive.

P
playhooky
hobster said:
^^^ I did some research on the Abu reels, look under the seat at the serial number. Turns out mine is a 1978

Third type: YYMMXX....year, month, revision. Late 1972 into the 1980s. (most common type)

Thanks hobster.....the one I've shown earlier is stamped (87-0 87-88) so given that info I guess a 30 year old reel isn't really all that old. Only thing wrong with it is that it needs the pinion gear replaced. Probably a $15 fix at the right tech. Nice tip on the reel seat stamp anyway....thanks. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
Great information Hobster; on identifying the year an Abu reel was made. Thank you.

There is a retiree, in Corvallis, who works on such reels all of the time--for many guides, and others. If you want details, hit me up.

Troutski
Troutski
troutdude;n601610 said:
Forgot to mention that when Don Green split off, from Fenwick, he made some early S-Glass rods--while he was at the helm, at Sage. Those early Sage rods, are suh-weet!

P.S. Vintage Little Cleo spoons, are da bomb!

The Wiggle Girl...

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
Troutski;n601630 said:
The Wiggle Girl...

Ha ha. Yep. I had to be careful, and not post a pic. Thought it might be too risque, for a family-oriented forum.