Oregon night fishing regulations

D
Dirty Bird
I've been looking and can't seem to find anything about regulations for night fishing here in Oregon. I recently found out (from a friend) and verified (through the officer that found me:cool:) that it's completely legal to fish for cats 24/7 year round. I was wondering if it were the same for any other species. Also any good spots for some bigger cats 5+ pounds. I've gone to Salish ponds as they are right down the street and caught like 3 or 4 lil guys but nothing exceptional.

Thanks in advance!

D
Dirty Bird
Not exactly sure how this ended up in the Miller Lake forum :/ sorry for the confusion!

T
the_intimidator03
Welcome to the forums. To answer your question, I must use my mind to remember this stuff as I do not have a copy of the regulations by my side.

Fishing for non game species is open 24/7 although certain locations may ONLY allow fishing during certain times. Non game species are bluegill, crappie, squawfish, carp, catfish etc
I could be wrong about the specific species and such. Miller lake is one of two places that i know that allow 24/7 fishing of ALL species.

Most of this information can be found under General Regulations near the front of the fishing regulation pamphlet. Specific waterbodies and their regulations are found in their respective zones after the general regulations for that zone called special regulations.

The two waterbodies that I do believe are open 24/7 for all game species are Miller Lake (outside of Chemult) and Columbia river above mcnary dam (this one im not 100% sure)

Edit: not sure how it ended up in Miller Lake but... you can have this requested to be moved to Off Topic Related to fishing.

Troutski
Troutski
Miller and Klammath..

Miller and Klammath..

Dirty Bird said:
Not exactly sure how this ended up in the Miller Lake forum :/ sorry for the confusion!
Not a problem, I moved it..
Funny that you would place it on the Miller Lake section, 24 7 fishing at its very best; I can tell you it is something every one should experience.. Couple of good friends all pumped up in a boat, going along trolling and trolling slowly losing up and feeling more relaxed - and your rod is almost yanked out of your hand.... the Trout leaps and splashes down :dance: and everyone turns and looks you right in the face-you are instantly blinded by those very bright LED head lamps and the fish is zipping line off your reel.. all you can do is smile and FISH ON. Sorry didn't mean to ramble on, the other lake I know of is Lake Of The Woods between Medford and Klammath Lake, nice camp ground and launches.
Best of luck and don't forget your Head lamp...;)

Chuck

Reactions: troutdude
I
igquick
Hey i was wondering, did the officer find u at night?

D
Dirty Bird
igquick said:
Hey i was wondering, did the officer find u at night?

Haha ya he found me out at Salish ponds at like 12:30am. We told him that we (my friends and I) were fishing for cats. He had to kick us out seeing as Salish ponds is considered a state park and closes at midnight. He told us if we want to fish beyond midnight our best bet is along the Columbia as long as its not a park.... so pulling off near the I-205 bridge is a go. No ticket and he was really cool about it. I've recently been hitting a couple other spots since you can no longer park at Salish ponds :/. Intimidator I just read this in the official regulations for 2013:

Game Fish:
Salmon, Shad,
Steelhead, Sturgeon,
Trout, Whitefish,
Largemouth Bass,
Smallmouth Bass,
Hybrid Bass, Striped
Bass, Bluegill, Catfish,
Crappie, Sunfish,
Yellow Perch, Walleye
and Mullet
Angling only Unlawful to:
1. Angle for or take salmon, shad, steelhead, sturgeon, trout or whitefish except in daylight hours (one hour before sunrise until one hour after sunset). See exceptions for
specific waterbodies: Southwest Zone (Rogue River, Section 3); Southeast Zone
(Miller Lake and Lake-of-the-woods); and Columbia Zone (McNary Dam to OregonWashington border);
2. Attempt to snag, spear, gaff, net, trap, club, shoot or ensnare any game fish. Ahandheld landing net may be used to land legally hooked fish. A gaff may not be used
to land hooked salmon, steelhead or other freshwater game fish in inland or ocean
fisheries;
3. Take game fish other than those hooked inside the mouth;
4. Remove eggs from any salmon, steelhead or sturgeon without retaining the carcass
while in the field;
5. Possess in the field game fish dressed or mutilated so that size, species or fin clip
cannot be determined until the angler has reached their automobile or principle
means of land transportation and has completed their daily angling;
6. Angle for sturgeon with lures in waters closed to salmon or steelhead angling;
7. Gaff or penetrate sturgeon in any way while landing or releasing it;
8. Remove oversize sturgeon totally or in part from the water;
9. Take or possess suckers (mullet) in Klamath County;
10. Continue to angle for jack salmon after retaining a limit of adult salmon or steelhead

From what i've read it looks as if I can fish for just about anything beyond the 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset except Salmon, Steelhead, Sturgeon, Trout, Shad and Whitefish.

Apart from all that igquick i've watched quite a few of your carp videos and got to say those look like they would be quite fun to catch.... any advice? I saw your post from the other day saying that strawberry syrup works well lol. Might give that a shot. I've been hitting up Fairview Lake recently now that I know I can go at night and they close at 12 but I catch cats there left an right with just nightcrawlers. Little bullheads longest one was about 11 inches I believe. While out there though before the sun goes down i've seen a few decent sized fish jump. Not sure whether they are bass or carp since i've read online somewhere that's about all that's in there. I've watched a guy pull out a nice bass so I know they are in there. I just want a good fight!!! Haven't got a good one since my suckerfish at Sauvies island beach a couple years ago lol.

I
igquick
Mind if i ask what bait u were using?

D
Dirty Bird
Just nightcrawlers... i've never really had luck with livers or anything else though I know cats go for just about anything.

D
Dirty Bird
If you meant for Carp then I typically use nightcrawlers or white bread balled into dough balls. Just got back from chinook landing and in that lil slough or w/e near the entrance I could see fish surfacing but no luck. Moved over to the bank near the entrance parking lot and used nightcrawlers and got plenty of bites and just 1 lil 9 3/4 inch pea mouth.

B
Bike 'N' Fish
I'm about to go camping at the beach. I'm curious what the rules are for night fishing for surf perch etc? Anyone have any clues?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
From what I can see you are allowed to fish 24 hours/day in the marine zone. I would be sure to double check specifically where you are fishing though. Here is what the Eregs say:

"Waters open all year, 24 hours per day, unless noted under “Management Designations for Marine Areas”"

B
Bike 'N' Fish
I'm going to stop at the odfw offices in Tillamook and see if they can give me specific location based info. I'll be sure to share it. If they can't offer a solid solution, I'm going to ask the State Police. I just want a solid answer. I asked a guy who lives in Tillamook and works at the campgrounds I'm staying at and he said aside from game fish there are no regulations, but I'd prefer not to get a ticket for not having pursued the correct info...

troutdude
troutdude
Bike 'N' Fish;n605998 said:
I'm going to stop at the odfw offices in Tillamook and see if they can give me specific location based info. I'll be sure to share it. If they can't offer a solid solution, I'm going to ask the State Police. I just want a solid answer. I asked a guy who lives in Tillamook and works at the campgrounds I'm staying at and he said aside from game fish there are no regulations, but I'd prefer not to get a ticket for not having pursued the correct info...

Welcome to OFF.

This is one of the wisest decisions, I've seen. Why? Because a Game Warden, or State Trooper, EXPECTS you to fully know the applicable laws--BEFORE you hit, the water. So I tip my hat to you, for wanting to get to the bottom of it <pun intended for dramatic flare...lol>. :hi:

Best of luck to you. Let us know the outcome; and how you do.

P.S. There are cats in Hagg Lake, the Big C (as mentioned), and the Willy. Fern Ridge Reservoir, and the Long Tom River, also hold cats further south.

Reactions: Troutski