5 wt rod choice

R
Ryan allen
Hey guys and gals hope I'm not beating a dead horse witth this
question I'm looking to purchase my first mid range 5 wt
a upgrade on my 5/6 combo kit that was under a 100 bucks
but the the rods I have been looking at are Scott flex,orvis recon,st.croix legend elite I've read a lot of reviews on all of them
personally I like the looks of the Scott but some reviews rate it poorly so any real world experience or pros or cons would be greatly appreciated I will be mainly fishing rivers for trout maybe some small lakes around bend area thank you

Casting Call
Casting Call
Look at SAGE 5WT. Tony

EOBOY
EOBOY
Sage are spendy! Solo (go to River City fly shop). Good rigs and you can get a rod real and line for well under $200.00. The owner is a great guy and usually throws in a fly box and flies with it.

Southpaw
Southpaw
You really need to cast them if possible, they all have a different swing weight and action and finding the "sweet spot" rod for you is finding that combo based on your style rather than trying to adjust your casting to the rod. I have med fast to ultra fast action rods and they feel like completely different rods. Truly depends on the flies and size of water you want to use them on and also if you plan to fish from a boat or wade. Looking at fast action rods, what kind of line do you use? True weight, 1/2 over lined, full size over line? If you tend to over line and lose the potential of your rod I'd suggest the st Croix and stick to true 5wt line, 2nd for a sweet do everything rod the orvis recon with rio perception or sa map for 1/2 over line that works great on heavier streamers, dry dropper rigs, and decent nymph rigs for lake work. Just my 2¢, I don't have any experience with that particular scott but I've heard it's slower than expected but I think it would make a fine slow swing dedicated dry fly rod that I wouldn't use for a marathon day as I've heard feels a little heavy. Good luck and they are all great choices that should be amazing. Definitely shop around like EOBOY said, some of my funniest rods to cast are not the most expensive in my arsenal. But I am a great junkie and have dedicated rods for different tactics and bodies of water.

Reactions: Ryan allen
M
markasd
Check out Redingtons line up.
Sage makes great products..
As said tho - should cast a few different ones to see what works best for your cast or for what you plan to cast with it.

B
BrandonBeach
Rod buying guidelines:

1) If you are single and serious about fly fishing, buy the best! (And feel good about it.)

2) If attached to a marital unit, consessions will have to be made, jewelry, flowers or other gifts in kind.

3) If said marital unit also fly fishes, you have it made, take out a second mortgage. Done deal, and NEVER miss a birthday
or anniversary. Remember: community property is a GOOD thing.

Seriously:

Sage, you won't regret it.

Go go to Northwest Flyfishing Outfitters fly shop, (109th & Halsey) cast them. There are different price level models, cast them all.

Spend the $$ on a good rod, scrimp on the reel. There are Good cheap trout reels.

Great bunch there at Northwest, they will line up the rods and let you cast them in the parking lot. I've done it a couple of times, no regrets, ended up with a Sage both times.

BB

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Really is a personal preference - you need to cast the rod to find the rod that feels best to you. I've had 10X more fly rods than girlfriends, some good, some very good, some real dogs. Price point and name brand don't mean crap when it comes to how a rod actually performs for an individual angler - it's very easy to get wrapped up in the idea that it MUST be high dollar to cast well, fish well, or perform well. I have a G Loomis "5" weight, that fishes best with a 6 weight line. A true to weight 5 weight is too under gunned to load well, unless you're trying to cast the entire line. Sage rods are not all that and a bag of chips for everyone. They're beautiful rods and made in the USA, but that only goes so far - Sage makes some dogs that they charged an arm and a leg for. All rod makers have rods that were / are clubs compared to others. Plenty of Asian made rods exceed them in castability and fishability (and keep in mind that the rod that everyone raves about that constantly scores well in the Yellowstone Angler shootout is a Hardy that is made in Korea)

I just recently traded a Loomis spey rod for a pair of Penn Gold Medal IM6 rods from the 1990's - two piece, moderate action rods. A 6 and a 7 weight. The 6 weight Penn is more fun to cast than the Loomis 5 weight, using the same lines. They also cast farther for me, using the same lines.

Get a rod that works for your budget, that you enjoy casting. Cast at short, medium, and long distances.

"Get a Sage" or "Spend your money on the rod" nonsense is as bad as saying everyone should be fishing 9 foot 5 weights, and anything else is silly - which is typical of most fly shop employees, or people who put their ego into the price tag of their gear. If you've got money to burn, so be it. But if you're working on a budget, don't feel the need to exceed it because of brand envy or what someone on the internet, or in a fly shop says. You're a lot better off with a good LINE, on an average or above average rod, than the other way around.

Of the current production crop of graphite rods - the ones *I* like casting include the Redington Vice, Scott G-series, TFO Finesse. Of those, I like the Scott G-series the best. I like modern fiberglass rods even more though - and my favorite trout fishing rod is a $70 Cabela's CGR rod. I'm also in love with the Orvis Superfine Glass, and Echo Badass Glass rods right now - but I don't need another fly rod right now.

Don't get caught up in brand names - get the rod that works right for you. And if you want a Sage, look at one of the previous generation rods. Sage One's can be had for less now than when they were the flagship rod. Same with the Mod rods. RPL's can be had for very reasonable prices, and they were probably the best rods Sage ever made.

Casting Call
Casting Call
GungasUncle;n611116 said:
Really is a personal preference - you need to cast the rod to find the rod that feels best to you..

Get a rod that works for your budget, that you enjoy casting. Cast at short, medium, and long distances.

Don't get caught up in brand names - get the rod that works right for you. And if you want a Sage, look at one of the previous generation rods. Sage One's can be had for less now than when they were the flagship rod. Same with the Mod rods. RPL's can be had for very reasonable prices, and they were probably the best rods Sage ever made.

I agree with the meat of the matter of what G uncle stated. Tony

Reactions: Troutman69
T
Troutman69
Try an Echo base. I just got one this year as a guest boat rod. I was impressed by how well and easily it fished. I don't think there is a better value for the money.

Reactions: Grant22
B
Big Wally
Try the Echo base!
Best bang for your buck.

Grant22
Grant22
EOBOY said:
Sage are spendy! Solo (go to River City fly shop). Good rigs and you can get a rod real and line for well under $200.00. The owner is a great guy and usually throws in a fly box and flies with it.
River City Fly shop just closed down last year, the guy (I think his name is Don?) retired and couldn't find anyone to buy it from what I hear, too bad. 3 votes for the Echo Base.

D
Davpot
Grant22 said:
River City Fly shop just closed down last year, the guy (I think his name is Don?) retired and couldn't find anyone to buy it from what I hear, too bad. 3 votes for the Echo Base.
One more option might be looking at used American rods😉 few years back bought a couple GLASS Phillipsons (4-5wt) Light and Wonderful casters.

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal and Grant22
S
SparkyofSoCal
I’m old and grew up with glass and am a fan. Little slower like wood. Lot cheaper than bamboo. That’s why you need to cat before you buy.

D
Davpot
A few years back, I did buy aTFO from Don at River City Fly shop. Very nice rod at an Affordable price!
Dave

B
BrandonBeach
This is a four year old thread......

• Haha
DOKF
DOKF
Still good comments about glass rods and River City Fly.

Sad to hear about the shop; I live very close by and was in a few times to pick up materials or specialty flies on short notice. Was in there last June; must have been just before he closed. :cry:

O
olshiftybiscuits
BrandonBeach said:
Rod buying guidelines:

1) If you are single and serious about fly fishing, buy the best! (And feel good about it.)

2) If attached to a marital unit, consessions will have to be made, jewelry, flowers or other gifts in kind.

3) If said marital unit also fly fishes, you have it made, take out a second mortgage. Done deal, and NEVER miss a birthday
or anniversary. Remember: community property is a GOOD thing.

Seriously:

Sage, you won't regret it.

Go go to Northwest Flyfishing Outfitters fly shop, (109th & Halsey) cast them. There are different price level models, cast them all.

Spend the $$ on a good rod, scrimp on the reel. There are Good cheap trout reels.

Great bunch there at Northwest, they will line up the rods and let you cast them in the parking lot. I've done it a couple of times, no regrets, ended up with a Sage both times.

BB
Seconded on NWFFO. And don’t sleep on the used rack there, either!

To the original poster - what kind of fishing do you do most? On the majority of Oregon streams, a high quality four weight is going to be a lot more fun to fish with than a five weight. Of course if you’re throwing dries on the Lower Deschutes or Metolius most often then ignore everything I just said :).

Top Bottom