Best fly fishing near Vida, OR in July

R
Ryan Brennell
Hello Everyone! Brand new to the forum. I'm a fly-fisherman from The Ozarks, and I'll be in Vida, OR on the McKenzie from July 1 - 11. I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with good fly fishing within a 90 minute radius. Preferably water that doesn't require a boat. So far I've got the McKenzie, Metolius, and Middle Fork of the Willamette on my list. Am I on the right track? Missing anything? Would love to get on some steelhead if at all possible too! Thanks in advance for steering me in the right direction.

troutdude
troutdude
When you visit the Metolius; don't overlook the Deschutes. It's a prime river for redsides & browns.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

K
killigan
The McKenzie will have some options for you, but there is quite a bit of private property and a boat/pontoon help a ton. Summer Steelhead will be in the system, with the hatchery run heading to Leaburg area. Middle Fork Willamette will also have Summer Steelhead, with the hatchery fish heading to Dexter Dam. Middle Fork Willamette boat ramp on the north side, has decent bank access and space to find your own water. I see people fly fish there, but they are usually on the south side of the river. You can access that side by driving around Dexter Lake, there is a road that will take you to the Dam off of Hwy 58. Walk down river from the Dam via trails/paths and there is decent wading water for Salmon, Steelhead, or trout. Cheers!

Killigan

Reactions: troutdude
EOBOY
EOBOY
Hobs and I just floated the mac from Deerhorn to Hindricks Bridge yesterday, the water is a bit high right now but should be fine in july. We had no luck but I think we needed to change the way we were going about it, because of the water volume. I talked to a guide that was fishing and he had his clients doing swing and they did OK. We were watching them and it looked more like they were pulling plugs..

The Deschutes is the bomb...........don't need to say any more about that......hehehe.The Metolius is good but that time of year probably to crowded. My son lives in springfield so who knows I might be around to put you on my boat and you could teach what you know. Welcome to the forum.

Dana

R
Ryan Brennell
Thanks a ton, guys! Great info so far. I would love to hit the Deschutes, but from what I've heard, you definitely need a boat/guide.

Killigan, thanks for all the steelhead info. Love that I could have the chance to get lucky and hook into one of those big boys! Thanks for the wade-access info as well!

R
Ryan Brennell
Hey Dana, I'll get in touch before I head out. I love getting people hooked on fly fishing, so that sounds like a fair trade!

Reactions: EOBOY and troutdude
EOBOY
EOBOY
Ryan Brennell;n604574 said:
Hey Dana, I'll get in touch before I head out. I love getting people hooked on fly fishing, so that sounds like a fair trade!

Well, I'm already hooked, I just don't have as much knowledge as I would like. I will be down here sometime after the 4th of July to help paint my son monster of a house so it sounds like a deal. If Hobs can get loose we'll drag him out too.

R
Ryan Brennell
EOBOY;n604576 said:
Well, I'm already hooked, I just don't have as much knowledge as I would like. I will be down here sometime after the 4th of July to help paint my son monster of a house so it sounds like a deal. If Hobs can get loose we'll drag him out too.

Sounds like a plan!

hobster
hobster
EOBOY;n604576 said:

What? You guys are painting that monstrosity on your own? I hope you have some help, I have a feeling i'll get a call :lol:

Hey Ryan sounds like you have a plan. There is excellent fly fishing for native fish on the upper middle fork willy, you can get there from 126 by taking the aufderheide freeway to 58. It is one of the most beautiful drives you'll see and there is good fishing along the way on the north middle fork I believe. You are in a good spot, don't forget the mountain lakes near Bend either, huge trout in some of them.
Since you are on the McKenzie i'd focus around there to start, there are some nice holes I know of up there, pm me if you are interested. I'm always down to fly fish!
River flows are way high now and sadly there are no steelhead in the river. Guide we spoke to isn't even fishing for them, there were 12 counted last time I checked at Leaburg :sad: Unless they show up quick i'd focus somewhere else for steelies. Flows should be great in july, should be a great time for you!

R
Ryan Brennell
hobster;n604621 said:
What? You guys are painting that monstrosity on your own? I hope you have some help, I have a feeling i'll get a call :lol:

Hey Ryan sounds like you have a plan. There is excellent fly fishing for native fish on the upper middle fork willy, you can get there from 126 by taking the aufderheide freeway to 58. It is one of the most beautiful drives you'll see and there is good fishing along the way on the north middle fork I believe. You are in a good spot, don't forget the mountain lakes near Bend either, huge trout in some of them.
Since you are on the McKenzie i'd focus around there to start, there are some nice holes I know of up there, pm me if you are interested. I'm always down to fly fish!
River flows are way high now and sadly there are no steelhead in the river. Guide we spoke to isn't even fishing for them, there were 12 counted last time I checked at Leaburg :sad: Unless they show up quick i'd focus somewhere else for steelies. Flows should be great in july, should be a great time for you!

Thanks for all the tips, Hobs! The middle fork and north middle just got added to the list. I've actually been playing around on google earth looking for some of those alpine lakes this week. I've seen that famous Oregon film with the monster browns, and I'd make the trip to a good hidden lake in a heart beat. If you have it in your heart to PM a secret spot, I'd repay that favor with a day fishing and a cooler of beer.

Reactions: EOBOY
EOBOY
EOBOY
hobster;n604621 said:

Yeah I'm not getting OFF the ground, and as you know there are parts that you need oxygen to reach! So yes I'm SURE you get a call.:hi:

hobster
hobster
Ryan Brennell;n604623 said:
Thanks for all the tips, Hobs! The middle fork and north middle just got added to the list. I've actually been playing around on google earth looking for some of those alpine lakes this week. I've seen that famous Oregon film with the monster browns, and I'd make the trip to a good hidden lake in a heart beat. If you have it in your heart to PM a secret spot, I'd repay that favor with a day fishing and a cooler of beer.

Don't think they are very secret but i'll pm you some holes. Also, make sure to check out the Vida Café, they are back in business after a fire. Great spot!

R
Ryan Brennell
Hey everyone! Hope you're all having a great summer. I just got into Vida a couple days ago, and feel like I have the lay of the land. I've been catching trout on dries up by finn rock and good pasture bridge. Hoping to check out the south fork of the McKenzie as well.

If anyone's looking for an excuse to get their boat out, let me know! I'll supply the beer. Cheers!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Ryan Brennell;n605552 said:
If anyone's looking for an excuse to get their boat out, let me know! I'll supply the beer. Cheers!

Dang I have to put my Land Rover in the shop before the OFF gathering. I will be in Springfield for 2 or 3 days, Thursday I may have some free time I was thinking of throwing my toon in the car, my son has one at his house. If you don't mind running your own toon. I didn't want to tempt Hobs. I'll check in tomorrow afternoon I think my son has to work Thursday. Then Friday we get his house ready for paint. Sat. back to Hillsboro to get ready for the OFF gathering.

Reactions: Ryan Brennell
EOBOY
EOBOY
Rosemary just reminded me I have a bad shoulder and can't be jerking it around. Damn this getting old is getting old:sad:

Reactions: Ryan Brennell
J
JackWell
troutdude;n604563 said:
When you visit the Metolius; don't overlook the Deschutes. It's a prime river for redsides & browns.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Good advice for me aslo :D Thanks

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
JackWell;n605589 said:
Good advice for me aslo :D Thanks

Happy to help. Good luck, and welcome to OFF.