Rianbow Lake (near Detroit lake)???

Status
Not open for further replies.
B
brookie47
Does anyone have any current info on this lake? I`ve heard stories of Brookies 13-16 inches. Sounds to good to be true.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Shortcut?

Shortcut?

brookie47 said:
Does anyone have any current info on this lake? I`ve heard stories of Brookies 13-16 inches. Sounds to good to be true.

brookie47;
I am not at all surprised that I didn't even know there was a Rainbow Lake up past Detroit. There are dozens of beautiful lakes up in that area. The only real info I found for you is that once you pass Idanha,turn right onto Coopers Ridge Road. If you have a rig that can withstand a gravel road challenge,make a quick left to take a shortcut. Please come back and let us know what to expect if any of us get up there. Pictures would be ideal. Good luck and great fishing.
Be safe.
Barb

H
hendrixfan
I have heard Rainbow Lake can be good fishing, in fact I believe I have a flyfishing book somewhere from years past by Jim Bradbury that talks about it. I also believe that it is on private property so not sure if its still open. I am posting this from my Blackberry and don't have the bookmark, but I think the cascade ramblings website is where I read that it is private. There are many good Brooktrout lakes above Detroit, might want to check out Round lake up there too, Brook and Brown trout if I remember correctly, and it at least used to be restricted to barbless flies and lures.

O
OnTheFly
hendrixfan said:
I have heard Rainbow Lake can be good fishing, in fact I believe I have a flyfishing book somewhere from years past by Jim Bradbury that talks about it. I also believe that it is on private property so not sure if its still open. I am posting this from my Blackberry and don't have the bookmark, but I think the cascade ramblings website is where I read that it is private. There are many good Brooktrout lakes above Detroit, might want to check out Round lake up there too, Brook and Brown trout if I remember correctly, and it at least used to be restricted to barbless flies and lures.

Hey hendrixfan and brookie47, Before I give you the scoop on these lakes, you must concider not killing any fish from either of them ESPECIALLY:naughty: Round Lake. Round Lake is very small. So small in fact that if you troll around it too fast you may get dizzy..well almost. The lake supports some very fine and finicky brown trout that are a blast to catch but it is not stocked therefore if you fish there take a picture and not the fish. You will need a float tube because bank access is difficult. Watch for and then match the calibeatis spinners when they appear on the surface. Also, a flying ant pattern works.

Now for Rainbow Lake. Make sure to stop into the Detroit ranger station and pick up the Detroit Ranger District map of the area. Jim's book is a useful tool however some of the directions to various lakes are outdated. The road he discribes to get to Round Lake from the north is washed out. So is the road to Rainbow. To get to Rainbow turn right onto Cooper Ridge from Hwy 22 but turn left after the bridge not right like it says in the book. Don't try this in a car with low clearence. There is a gate just before the lake and it will remain open as long as people haul out their trash. I take trash out out of there that's not mine sometimes just to make sure the gate stays open. I don't know if the lake is stocked or not but here again it's very small and it drives me nuts to see fishermen carry out stringers of brookies. To me, Rainbow is a pretty lake with a Mt Jefferson view but for the most part it's slow and not worth spending the entire day at. Good Luck up there:cool:

Last edited:
H
hendrixfan
Round Lake was always a favorite destination of mine as a kid and teenager, haven't been up there in over ten years. I learned to flyfish for the first time there in fact....I personally never kill any fish period because I don't like the taste, so I catch and release just about everything and the only time I will use bait is fishing for planters just in case one swallows it. Mornings and evenings small yellow panther martin with nickle blade and pinched barbs has always served me well on the high lakes. My fly fishing experience is limited(although I am going to change that soon). I usually went with an elk hair caddis and would do pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.