Fly tying and patterns sharing thread

F
FlyBum
Steelhead Candy! One dozen EGGS and half a dozen Squid!

Last edited by a moderator:
N
nativefish
Fly bum will you post a close up of one of those orange eggs with the eye in it?

F
FlyBum
nativefish said:
Fly bum will you post a close up of one of those orange eggs with the eye in it?

It' just a dumbbell eye with some K-flash and some hairline dubbin in a dubbin loop! Orange 6/0 thread!

F
FlyBum
Yummy!

T
Troutier Bassier
Great thread!

N
ninja2010
been a while since i last tied... but i was curious to find out if fly tying is much like bicycle riding...

and here's the result... some mini intruder-type critters. guess the lack of practice really shows, but i don't care. ;) and they're sooooo cute compared to my usual ties.

hope i'll be able to take these guys out for a swing or two in the near future...

IMG_0277_zpsb8370ec6.jpg

IMG_0276_zps60c87e57.jpg

IMG_0274_zpsb81a15f1.jpg

IMG_0269_zps2b1222c6.jpg

W
waco
nice flies Jimmy, we should go swing some flies soon!!!

O
OnTheFly
Nice! There's something about casting out a fly half the size of a chicken that just feels right.

N
ninja2010
OnTheFly said:
Nice! There's something about casting out a fly half the size of a chicken that just feels right.

these are actually tiny... the measurement from the nut to the jaws of my vise is just 2"...

waco: don't think i can until next year...

F
FlyBum
I've been messing around with tube flies lately... :monkey:

E
eggs
That will fish year around.... for small mouth bass!

F
FlyBum
Pecker...

O
OnTheFly
Carp?

J
jesse202505
Here's a few I tied the other day.

IMG_20131020_153501089.jpgIMG_20131020_150424572.jpgIMG_20131007_184151665_HDR.jpg
IMG_20131004_155018994.jpg

E
everett464
Winter Steel - personal variations on old favorites.

GBZS:
Tail - Dyed Pheasant Hot Pink
Body - UV red ice dub; black rabbit on top, green rabbit underneath.
Flash - two strands Flashabou
Head - barbell eyes, with peacock black ice dub brushed back

Glo Bug:
Standard stuff Glo Bug with a sparkle pseudo hackle wrapped over egg, and brushed.

photo.jpg

Last edited:
J
jimmy
the Green on Green on Green Bead Head Pheasant Tail:

standard PT, I like to tie 'em on caddis hooks to make a more 'wriggling' profile.

had time on the river to take a few photos of the process for those who haven't seen it.

Recipe:
size 14 caddis hook
small brass bead
green thread
green pheasant tail
green wire
peacock hurl
cold PBR in camo coozy
Deschutes River scenery for insperation.

step 1:
pop that bead on the hook and start your thread, crack that PBR and take a sip, look around, you should be fishing right now.

pt1_zps50e24d4b.jpg

step 2:
tie on wire (enough to hold onto as you wrap, long end tied off the back of the hook) bend it out of the way.
line up the tips on a few pheasant tail barbs and tie on the tail, leave excess barb for the body.

pt2_zps16c539a4.jpg

step 3:
wrap the long ends of the barbs up the hook to form the body, tie off. wrap the wire up the body in 3-4 turns to segment. tie off.

pt3_zps7cc42b9c.jpg

step 4:
legs/shell back: tie on another round of pheasant barbs facing backwards towards the tail, a good measure is to have the tips of the barbs all the way back to the tail tips. seems long but, when you fold them forward they'll shorten up quick.

tie on three peacock hurls and twist to chenelle.

pt4_zps0201426c.jpg

step 4:
wrap twisted peacock 4-5 times to form thorax, tie off, pull long end of leg pieces over and tie off to form first layer of shell back. trim close.

pt5_zpsbe612754.jpg

step 5:
pull legs forward to form second layer of shell back, wrap once, do your best to divide legs on each side and add a few wraps behind bead to lock them down (the tension of the thread tends to twist them, especially with the bead. off kilter legs don't really bother me, they shouldn't bother you).

pt6_zpseb586b2a.jpg

whip it, finish that PBR and fish it.

***BONUS FLY***

Green Rockworm:

recipe:

size 14 caddis hook
green thread
small glass bead
peacock flavored crystal flash

step 1:
put the bead on the hook, start your thread, tie on three strands or crystal flash, tie to bend of hook and wrap back to bead.

rw1_zps6782f67d.jpg

step 2:
wrap the flash up to the hook in nice segments and tie off, whip and fish.

rw2_zps04c8672f.jpg

simple but deadly.

Reactions: FlyBum
T
troutmasta
Nice post Jimmy!

S
steelhead_slayer
Those look great Jimmy. Can't wait to fish them

Last edited:
I
ibfishin
Those are some beautiful flies. I have tied a few but none this nice.

I
ibfishin
Very nice the wings are great, still working on that technique.