Simpson Reef kayak fishing video

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
this video from my trip to Simpson Reef on Feb.8 includes, from hook set to netting, the Lingcod that I retained and also the Cabezon that I released (they open for retention on July1), and a demonstration of why the "mixed swell" sucks when you are out on a tiny boat. cheers, roger

https://youtu.be/iUgFekBZmaQ

I want to add a safety warning- crabbing from a kayak is dangerous, it requires dealing with large heavy pots and long ropes on a very small boat. Crabs are very buoyant in the water (light), but when they break the surface, each one is 1 to 2 pounds...I like to "roll" my pots onto the kayak and I also always keep some rope coiled in my hand as I lift the pots from the bottom, just in case I need to let it go.

Please, anyone considering it, make sure you know your boats secondary stability (the point where it suddenly flips over and you and your gear are in the water, potentially getting tangled up in ropes connected heavy things sinking to the bottom). I put these images together to show how I try and manage the risk:

EIgGguw.jpg

Reactions: troutdude and 00Swede
00Swede
00Swede
Good info for us "newbies", thanks. It will be awhile before I try the crab pots. I've had an I11s and an I12s for a couple years now and fish the Columbia a bunch here in the gorge. Even though I have a nice 19' Koffler aluminum, I seem to find myself fishing the Hobie more often. Smashed the Coho in them here last fall. Shopping for a drysuit now for when I decide to try the bigger water.
Thanks for your videos too. Entertaining and instructional!

Reactions: rogerdodger
hobster
hobster
Wow that video makes you look pretty far out! You are a bold man Roger :) great info as well

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Why not just take your boat!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GaryP1958;n609910 said:
Why not just take your boat!

I did take my boat; it's the 14' long gray thing that I am sitting on.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/HLrkby6.gif"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Reactions: 00Swede
hobster
hobster
^^^ :D indeed, what fun would a boat be?