Mini Spey vs false cast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Spey vs false cast

Mini Spey for trout and salmon in the northwest medium wide skinny rivers ( 9 to 11ft. , 3 to 6wt. for coastal rivers) The standard Spey is normally 14ft. 9wt and above. Mini spey can be done with a switch rod. Down size the normal spey heads of 30 to 110ft to under a 30 foot head for mini spey. I have done the 14ft rod thing for fat waters. Not many fat waters found in most coastal waters. I step down to mini spey 3 months ago, all practice up until now. I think that I am ready to hit the coastal rivers fall/spring. It sure beats false casting all day long. The nice thing is that the loading of the rod is done, line in the water. No more 10 O'clock, 2 O'clock thing. Mini S is just all one motion. Does anyone have any suggestions for casting technics for this beginner. Tony

What practice have you done? What's your current setup? Your two hand spey cast should be practiced in water anyways. I assume you are planning to target winter steelhead since you mentioned coastal rivers. Your basics are skagit heads for the winter or some indicator fishing. A few details and I can give you some pointers or help you with some shooting heads and sink tip setups that produce for me. I have two switch rods four spey rods and a trout spey I fish with

Comment

Southpaw thank you for such a quick response! To answer 14ft 10wt and 9ft 6inch micro spey. Yes on winter steelhead. The micro spey throws well with 275 grains. scandi head with furled 9ft leader. I would like to some indicator fishing. Any spots in the Tillamook basin do conventional 14ft spey practice? Thanks again willing to assist. Tony p.s. maybe pms are in order.

Comment

Working...
      X