Did I just invent a new rig?

M
montym
Just a Carolina rig, but a small bobber at the end and the hook in the middle. The worm seems to float very nicely, as two small bass in first 3 casts seem to say..... Will post a picture later today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

troutdude
troutdude
Looking forward, to a pic!

S
sunsalem
M
montym
Sorry, lost the only rig that I had tied on to a snag, but here is what it looks like. Definitely I am not stepping out any more without a couple of these leaders from now on. First cast, tangle. Second cast, fish. Third, fish. Had a couple of nibbles later on also but not sure what it was, the perch is starting to get active probably. Caught a couple of those later in the day on night crawlers on a smaller hook.

Lo and behold, ladies and gentlemen! The "Full Monty" rig for your pleasure!

Monty rig.jpg

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
The "Full Monty"? :D

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
That is pretty dang ingenious - and I dig the name. You could use this with both artificial and with real bait. Change bobber size for different buoyancy. Change leader length if you're trying to float the bait right over grass or rocks... I see this being very versatile, and you don't need to worry about injecting air into a worm, or using a floating plastic. Looking forward to some pix of the big ones you get with it.

M
montym
Thank you. I do not tie my hook to the line, I fix it with a couple of bobber stops above and below the hook. With that I can move the hook up and down, giving me a lot of flexibility with the same leader. Keeps line strength also. For bass, I'd keep the crawler closer to the bottom, for trout I'd move the same hook higher up. Or have two hooks at different heights..

troutdude
troutdude
If you're using the Full Monty--and want to fish heavy / thick cover, or crawl over logs/snags--may I suggest these; instead of the barrel-shaped weights? I've used the plain ones, for decades. But I do use the barrel shapes, for plunking Power Eggs for trout (not only for greater casting range, but because of their ability to slide along the line). However, these Bullet weights are much more "snagless".

Bullet Weights plain.jpg

Here are painted ones:

painted-bullet-weights.png

And here are "Fish Heads":

fish-head.png

The Fish Heads, and painted ones, are made by:

www.bulletweights.com

Last edited:
M
montym
Thanks Jay, I just didn't think of these. I'll switch to these tomorrow.

troutdude
troutdude
No problem. Where you gonna go tomorrow, and when (morning, or eve)? I'd enjoy fishing, with you again. Plus I could fix my peepers, on how you're tying up--and using--your Full Monty rig.

M
montym
I'm planning to go to Hagg tomorrow morning, would be great if you can make it. I'll start by the dam, may be take a shot at Haggus ?

troutdude
troutdude
ROTFL! Don't forget the 20' extra heavy rod, with 100# braided line. It'll take that, to land Nessie's younger cousin!

Now...I'm sure that, I can come up tomorrow. Oh well, maybe next time. I wish that, I lived closer than 1:15 one-way.

S
sunsalem
troutdude said:
The Fish Heads, and painted ones

Never seen before...very cool.:thumb:

troutdude
troutdude
I had not seen, the painted ones before either.

M
montym
No Title

Here is an update as I've found a better way to rig it. Hope the pic explains it well. In my leader, from bottom to top in this order, I have a swivel, worm hook 1, worm hook 2, bobber stop, transparent bobber, bobber stop and finally an egg hook. Worm hooks, just for the curious, are for worms; the bobber stops are for holding the bobber at one place and the egg hook is for a couple of power eggs. I usually put half a worm in each of the worm hooks, have not tried with whole worm or artificial ones yet. Main line usually has a bullet weight like troutdude suggested above.

Does it work? Absolutely yes. Today I gave equal water time to this rig and a traditional single hook rig we use to float power eggs off the bottom. My rig got 2 trouts, one on the topmost worm and one on the egg, had a long violent bite that I missed because I was not close enough and couple of nibbles. The traditional rig got me one trout and no other bites. Last time I used it, I had both trout and bass on this rig.

Hagg was hot by the dam again today, two in the cooler and 3 back in the water by sunrise. Did my month's worth of good work by introducing a friend to fishing. I hooked a trout within 5 minutes of him turning up, he landed it. In another 5 minutes he hooked and landed another trout. Dude started nailing his casts right from the first one too. A slow hour later, he wrapped up the day with two nice little bass dangling a worm off the fishing dock. Wish I had me showing me things when I started fishing :)

Cheers
M

R
RednaxBass
That looks like a pretty cool rig!

M
montym
This one caught my a few fish, best thing in a lake like Hagg is that often you don't know what you'd get. Bass, trout, maybe Haggus? It does get tangled up now and then though.