Question for a coworker. snagging...

D
damonspreng
By the regs I couldn't find if it was legal for non game fish to snag? He says its legal i'm not sure just trying to protect him.

T
the_intimidator03
there are regulations in the general regs that talk about fishing methods for specific species... non game fish i do believe fall under the OK to snag.

there will always be people against snagging. the legal and moral ethics dont really line up all the time

I
igquick
Ive read that it is legal

T
troutmasta
it's lame........

T
Throbbit _Shane
Game fish are Salmon, Shad, Steelhead, Sturgeon, Trout, Whitefish, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Hybrid Bass, Striped Bass, Bluegill, Catfish, Crappie, Sunfish, Yellow perch, Walleye and Mullet. Do not snag these fish.

Non Game Fish are Suckers, Northern Pikeminnow, Carp, Chub, Sculpin, and other Nongame Freshwater Fish. Harvest Methods include. Angling, Hand, Bow & Arrow, Crossbow,
Spear, Spear Gun, Gaff & Snag Hook

T
the_intimidator03
igquick. It is legal for certain species as shane posted. the biggest issue you will find is the line between legal and moral ethics.. the moral ethics vary person to person, People will always pipe up for what they feel is unethical even if its legal. I dont personally hold myself to one side of the argument more than the other.

I
igquick
I agree, some people think its unethical and some don't regardless of it's legal or not.

I'll be honest though, for carp, I'm leaning more that it is illegal although I have snagged them recently, but I checked the hook I was using and the actual point that would go through the fish would be less than half an inch. I HIGHLY doubt it would kill the carp, I mean I honestly put more damage to the mouth with a size 2 circle hook. So I'm going to start fly fishing for them now, no more snagging.

Back to why I believe common carp should be considered gamefish. They say they eat other fishes eggs, but in my opinion, common carp don't even target eggs as meals. I mean if they did, salmon eggs would be one of my "go to" baits. Salmon eggs are more of a bait for salmon than it would for common carp. They are the only fish found in dirty water because they can handle it, no fish can; so for some reason the common carp seemed to be blamed for killing the other fish just for that reason when it should be because of our surrounding factories that pour in trash into our Columbia Slough, Johnson Lake, Salish ponds, etc. The only thing that is true is that they do uproot underwater vegetation.

About pikeminnow, MOST people think that pikeminnow, also known as squawfish, are an INVASIVE species; but did you know they are actually native? The only reason we get paid for catching them on the Columbia is to protect the salmon for the dam we built, because that dam makes the water easier for pikeminnow to live in, and they eat salmon. I'm not saying people shouldn't be getting paid for catching them, because some people live off that money, and people need jobs. I know most of you guys know this, but I can't tell you how much fishermen I run into that tell me about the invasive squawfish.

What else eats salmon? Bass, Walleye, etc.

that is my opinion about things

R
rippin fish lips
^^ hmmm. Pike minnows are trash fish, they do eat salmon and trout. And i will put every one of them to rest on a nice sun baked rock. For a Bird.

And i know snagging is legal for some fish. But i see no point in it when every type of fish bites. and there is a way to get any type of fish out there to bite.

Last edited:
M
Modest_Man
rippin fish lips said:
^^ hmmm. Pike minnows are trash fish, they do eat salmon and trout. And i will put every one of them to rest on a nice sun baked rock. For a Bird.

And i know snagging is legal for some fish. But i see no point in it when every type of fish bites. and there is a way to get any type of fish out there to bite.

Then you're massively ignorant about Northern Pikeminnow.

R
rippin fish lips
Modest_Man said:
Then you're massively ignorant about Northern Pikeminnow.

AND? I must not be the only one. So it's not a bad thing. Any Pike minnow, Carp, Chub i catch in my holes will meat an untimely death. Carp and pikes go well in a tree.... They even go better in a crab pot. But that's just me. Unless in a lake with warm water Fish then i let em go.

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
Off topic slightly, but I've noticed on the willamette in town people are killing every single freaking sucker fish they catch, obviously thinking they're pike minnow. Quit killing these fish, we need them to clean that filthy freakin' river. If you can't ID a damn fish don't freaking kill it for no reason.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hmmm, how many topics can we fit into one thread? Maybe I'll start a thread titled "Random Rants"...:think: :D

Last edited:
T
Tinker
Just read the regulations about what Oregon considers to be Game Fish and don't snag those species. Isn't the problem with snagging that you don't know what you've snagged until you bring it in?

I have a philosophical problem with intentional snagging: I don't see where snagging gets fun. I think I have as much fun trying to figure out how to get a fish to hook itself on whatever I have at the other end of the line. If I catch 'em, or if I don't catch 'em, I'm still having a Really Good Time.

You know, there's folks who'll jump into the water to pull catfish out of holes with their hands - and they think it's just great. I don't think that's immoral or unethical, but I do think it's just one more proof that human evolution has stopped.

M
Modest_Man
rippin fish lips said:
AND? I must not be the only one. So it's not a bad thing. Any Pike minnow, Carp, Chub i catch in my holes will meat an untimely death. Carp and pikes go well in a tree.... They even go better in a crab pot. But that's just me. Unless in a lake with warm water Fish then i let em go.

There are a lot of ignorant people when it comes to our native fish.

Here's a blurb I posted a while ago-

First, the Northern pikeminnow. This is a native Oregon fish, its scientific name even has Oregon in it (Ptychocheilus oregonensis). I place the blame for the misinformation about this fish squarely on the Northern pikeminnow Sport Reward Program.

This program is established on the Columbia and Snake rivers, and ON THESE RIVERS ONLY for good reason. Dams create ideal habitat for pikeminnow (slack water) and act as a barrier (imagine that) for Salmonids - slowing them down and increasing the time they're in exposed in this new "ideal" pikeminnow habitat. This leads to increased predation in the slack water above dams.

This means that on rivers without dams, or in rivers well below dams, pikeminnow are no more a threat to Salmonids now than they were at any other time in the history of the Pacific Northwest.

Also, the sport reward program only pays people for pikeminnow over 9" in length. That's because small pikeminnow RARELY feed on Salmonids. The magic length seems to be around 350mm (roughly 14"). Pikeminnow smaller than this have a very low percentage of predation on Salmonids. But you say - "those small pikeminnow I release will grow up to be LARGE SALMONID EATING pikeminnow". Yes and no - pikeminnow have a type three survivor ship curve whereby the vast majority of offspring will perish before maturity (99% or so). That means if you kill 100 juvenile pikeminnow - odds are 99 of them wouldn't have made it to a mature (Salmonid eating) adult anyways. The flip side to this is that if you release unharmed 100 juvenile pikeminnow the odds are that 99 will become food for other predatory fish or birds before obtaining that magic 14" in length.

M
Modest_Man
JeannaJigs said:
Off topic slightly, but I've noticed on the willamette in town people are killing every single freaking sucker fish they catch, obviously thinking they're pike minnow. Quit killing these fish, we need them to clean that filthy freakin' river. If you can't ID a damn fish don't freaking kill it for no reason.

I completely agree, same thing with the Mountain Whitefish. The poor Largescale sucker is probably the second most abused native fish behind the Northern Pikeminnow.

P1030121.jpg

Reactions: JeannaJigs
J
JeannaJigs
Excellent photographic example.