Fishing with Powerbait

U
UGLYSTICKER
OnTheFly said:
I know what you're thinking. Why is a fly fisherman making a thread about powerbait.:think: It's not because I'm trying to stir the pot by pitting bait guys against the fly and lure guys, it's because I am genuously curious why one would choose to fish with it. Ok...Ok...I know....it catches lots of fish but are you really getting the most out of the experience? Does plunk fishing really do it for you?:confused: If one were to bait fish why not use crickets or grasshoppers? Or bloodworms? It just seems Powerbait has made it more convenient to bait up. Can someone enlighten me?

i started fishing over 50 yrs ago and was taught by my dad who totally detested any kind of dough bait. so naturally i always detested it too, that is until earlier this year when i got outfished at the JCP by everyone there because they were using PB.
oh i still limited out with worms, roostertails, buoyants, etc. but it took 3 times the amount of time.
i'm headed up the mac this morning to test out some new lures i aquired but i'll be bringing my trusty PB too:lol:

M
meluvtrout
You guys don't need to buy powerbait to fish with powerbait. Make your own and make it better.
1- Buy a large bag of smallest size marshmallows
2- Fill up two small glass jars with these marshmallows
3- Add the juice you've spared from the eggs you cured (optional) or nightcrawler scent to fill the gaps in the first jar
4- Add garlic scent to the second jar
5- Let them sit in a cozy location with a relaxing atmosphere (perhaps some soul music) there for about a week or so.
6- During that week eat the rest of the marshmallows while you're waiting anxiously how your bait is going to turn out.
7- There you have it. Two jars of best powerbait that'll outfish anything out there.
8- Thank meluvtrout later.

As far as the reasons why people use powerbait:
1- They only have limited time, cash resource, knowledge of products, bugs and fish and have kids who want to catch fish, want to eat fish and need results.
2- Don't have the time or patience as most retired fly fishermen dudes do, such as reading books to learn about life cycle of bugs, fishing during the week and tying flies.

Reactions: beaverfan
L
lilsalmon
I have caught more fish on flies than I ever did when I was using powerbait, eggs, lures, etc.....to each his own but just sayin. And I am poor but I lose a lot less now so I don't have to replace as much.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Wow, where have I been on this thread, its a good one.

I haven't read all the posts, but I think Powerbait is a great stepping stone... just some dont take the step. Not implying I am an elitist fly fisher person ;) Powerbait to me is the main-stay of pellet forged trout, its the gateway bait.

Last edited:
Reactions: LingFace
M
meluvtrout
More reasons:
-Fly fishermen fish to catch fish, bait fishermen fish to eat fish.
-Fly fishermen go home to tie more flies when they run out of flies, bait fishermen open another jar of powerbait.
-Fly fishermen adjust to nature, hide behind bushes, walk for miles to enjoy and release a fish, bait fishermen change the position of their chairs to get more/less sun.
-Fly fishermen drink from flasks, bait fishermen drink from coolers.
I still have more Jim :)

R
RunWithSasquatch
meluvtrout said:
More reasons:
-Fly fishermen fish to catch fish, bait fishermen fish to eat fish.
-Fly fishermen go home to tie more flies when they run out of flies, bait fishermen open another jar of powerbait.
-Fly fishermen adjust to nature, hide behind bushes, walk for miles to enjoy and release a fish, bait fishermen change the position of their chairs to get more/less sun.
-Fly fishermen drink from flasks, bait fishermen drink from coolers.
I still have more Jim :)

- Fly fisher persons pick up bait containers on the sides of fisheries

- Powerbait fisher persons leave bait containers on the sides of fisheries

D
DB Crouper
RunWithSasquatch said:

Pot-stirring violation, RWS.:naughty:

• witches[1].jpg
Reactions: RunWithSasquatch
R
RunWithSasquatch
So quick... haha

Sometimes the bear likes to be poked... a little bit.

D
DB Crouper
RunWithSasquatch said:
So quick... haha

Sometimes the bear likes to be poked... a little bit.

Ouch! Also, teaching grandchildren how to dig clams.:)

L
lilsalmon
RunWithSasquatch said:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

sorry DB not trying to keep the pot from burning......I love your pics with you and your granddaughter though....they are priceless

troutdude
troutdude
RunWithSasquatch said:
- - Powerbait fisher persons leave bait containers on the sides of fisheries

That's a blanket statement that is not true. Not all bait peeps leave trash behind. I pick up other peeps trash whenever I see it. I'm sure that others do too.

It's akin to saying that we're all booze guzzlers too. But, were not. I don't drink at all...whether I'm fishing or not.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I dont want to stray from the main point, it was simply a poke... It would make a good firey thread though...:think:

L
lilsalmon
troutdude said:
That's a blanket statement that is not true. Not all bait peeps leave trash behind. I pick up other peeps trash whenever I see it. I'm sure that others do too.

It's akin to saying that we're all booze guzzlers too. But, were not. I don't drink at all...whether I'm fishing or not.

Thats true too.......and a good point. But seriously, have you ever found an empty peacock herl package? JK TD

M
meluvtrout
lilsalmon said:
Thats true too.......and a good point. But seriously, have you ever found an empty peacock herl package? JK TD

:))) Fly tiers sitting on the banks of small creeks with a vise and bags of fur are really common on your neck of the woods I presume?
I don't think there is a right or wrong. I use bait and swing flies. They all have their place in my backpack!

J
JHawk
I agree with DB. We're usually fishing with kids ages 9 to 17 who don't have the patience to sling flies, but we want them to get the enjoyment of being out on the river or creek with family and friends so they can take that experience and grow with it into fly fishing and other outdoor activities.

L
lilsalmon
meluvtrout said:
:))) Fly tiers sitting on the banks of small creeks with a vise and bags of fur are really common on your neck of the woods I presume?
I don't think there is a right or wrong. I use bait and swing flies. They all have their place in my backpack!

Your right....there is no right or wrong way. Everyone has a choice.....my neck of the woods is probably about the same as yours. I used to use powerbait all the time....kastmaster was my favorite and I had my nights of sitting with the foot stool with eggs and netting.....but I have since switched to fly fishing because I find it more enjoyable, more relaxing, a lot cleaner AND I am more successful......Oh also, when and if I ever get a salmon...I will use what it takes.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
D
DB Crouper
As with fly fishing, where one strives to present an imitation of natural food, there is the old fashioned method of capturing the actual food and serving it to the fish. It's very natural and rewarding to find a periwinkle, peel the shell back, and hook the flesh onto a little hook. Crawdad tails are more adventuresome, as there is an element of danger added. As kids we would go camping at Klootchie Creek, and not even take bait, as we were sometimes too poor or tightass to buy a dozen worms. My favorite bow hunting area in NE Oregon has a stocked pond with 10" to 18" rainbows. I take a small spinning outfit, but no bait. Sometimes midday we will go fish, but only if we're quick enough to catch some grasshoppers. The fish taste better, caught that way.:)

A
autofisher
My two main reasons for using powerbait......
#1 When I do use it..... it's usually at a lake that has a ton of stocked trout in it...... Most of the time I refuse to work for those fish.... I would rather sit back and relax, hang out with friends and watch the rod bounce.....
#2 It was so much easier trying to take my son fishing when he was 3...... We'd throw the line in and wait..... feed the ducks.... have some fun until the rod bounced..... Then he was interested.... I don't see him wanting or knowing how to cast out and reel back in effectively yet.

When I'm out on the river going for salmon or steelhead..... I work my tail off for the most part. And like I said before..... I refuse to work for stockers in a lake...... Ask bigsteel.... when he lost to me at fantasy football last year.... I made him do it.... we had a blast ....... we were up there to hang out..... not work for everything.

N
nwkiller
i feel like powerbait is a great thing if your a KID........ or at diamond lake, other than that i hate the crap...everything about it! especially when tons of it is floating down the river past you.