Berkley's Power Eggs...best thing since apple pie!!!

troutdude
troutdude
Cool, yet another convert has joined the fold! :lol:

Glad to see that eggs are working well for you. I have yet to find anything wrong with them at all.

My dad also told me to NEVER leave home without worms. It's just that nowadays, they are the Gulp! artificial worms. And, they also stay on the hook longer and won't croak! :)

S
Scowboy
I kill em on white in the high lakes. I too like the idea of bigger hooks as well. Tried using a "fish pill" (styrafoam beads) at the top of #4 and with one egg it floated well and hooked a bunch. Now I can't figure out what hooks. Gamakatsu's sink in the same config....

F
fishnquest
Owner mosquito hooks work well, but I use size 8. Two eggs will float it.

M
minnowmagnet
how come they never float for me

how come they never float for me

I have tried them with little success because they don't seem to float that well. Even four on a tiny little hook seem to sink on me. Maybe I am missing something...

F
fishnquest
size 8 owner mosquito hook. 4lb flouro leader with a clinch knot. Two power eggs. It floats for me.

troutdude
troutdude
I use a size 8, sometimes 6, eagle claw egg hook. About 3' of 4-lb. leader connected to a barrel swivel. Above the swivel is a bead. Above the bead is a sliding / slip sinker (barrel shaped). And with 2 Power Eggs, it always floats. My main line, btw, is usually 6 pound test.

I have also used small (size 12 or 14) treble hooks with two Power Eggs too. And it still floats.

I'm not sure, minnowmagnet, why your rig isn't floating for you.

K
Kais
Power eggs rule!!!

Power eggs rule!!!

Ya, you don't need the gulp, It is just a waste of money. It dried out quicker then the "regular" (wether that be magnum or or just regular:):lol: ). As far as floating goes, If I put a yarn ball at the top of the hook near the eylet, will that help it float more.

One time I used a power egg and caught about 4 or 5 fish. I left the egg on the hook for three days, went again, and limited out. WOW

Also hows the 6lbs leader going for you. I heard if you use something thinner, you catch more fish, hows that work??

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Kais said:
Ya, you don't need the gulp, It is just a waste of money. It dried out quicker then the "regular" (wether that be magnum or or just regular:):lol: ). As far as floating goes, If I put a yarn ball at the top of the hook near the eylet, will that help it float more.

One time I used a power egg and caught about 4 or 5 fish. I left the egg on the hook for three days, went again, and limited out. WOW

Also hows the 6lbs leader going for you. I heard if you use something thinner, you catch more fish, hows that work??

I use 6 lb MAIN line. Leader is 4 lb.

No, I don't see any point in using anything else to "help" the bait float. The power eggs seem to do fine on there own.

Probably the best thing of all is how long the Power Eggs really do last. I typically catch my limit on the same two eggs. Then, they go back in the jar to soak up more scent. What this really means is this:

You catch more fish on fewer eggs (than you ever will with Power Bait). Therefore, you spend LESS money on bait!

This is SHARP contrast to Power Bait. One or two nips from a fish, and the power bait comes "off" of your hook. So, you spend MORE time reloading the hook and LESS time catching fish. Conclusion: you spend MORE money on power bait!

S
steelhead_stalkers
The gulp eggs are so much better than the regular power eggs there is no competition! They might not last as long on the hook but they stay on for a few fish and the drying out problem you talk about is from not sealing it correctly. I always leave the seal on and open the aluminum seal only half way, then when you screw the lid back on it will seal and they will not dry out. They will out fish the regular power eggs guaranteed as I have tested it many times side by side with others fishing the regular power eggs.

troutdude
troutdude
Stalker...I've had two main questions about the "magnum" variety of Power Eggs.

1. Are they really so much more effective, that it justifies the extra cost?

2. Do they stay on the hook(s) as well? <the consistency of the magnums seems kind of weird to me>

Thanks.

B
beaverfan
If the fish are being picky the Gulp will usually outperform the standard power eggs. They don't stay on your hook as long and they don't seem to keep as long either, even when sealed well. If I can find the Gulp for a reasonable price I will buy it otherwise I'll just get the regular ones. They seem to work very well on there own.

troutdude
troutdude
The regular ones work well for me. Sometimes, I'll dab on some Berkley Trout Jelly or Trout scent if plain ones don't work. Then...LOOKOUT...FISH ON!

BTW, I have some regular power eggs that have lasted at least two seasons. That & cost, are the main reasons that I have yet to buy magnums. I've tried mag's and they just didn't seem to be a better product.

But, you and SS have got me thinking about it again. <switching to mag's>

A
autofisher
There are two scents that I add to the PB or the eggs that always seem to hammer fish for me. There's the Berkley's trout attractant, which will hammer fish over on Lake Marie and Elbow Lake outside of Reedsport. Then there's the Mike's Earthworm Glo-Oil. I don't care what you add it to, it helps hammer fish. If you combine the two of them together, it's even more lethal.

troutdude
troutdude
Some one else recently suggested that I try Mike's Earthworm scent. I looked at 3 different sporting good stores/departments that carry's Mike's products. Not one had the Earthworm scent. Where can I find it?

A
autofisher
I know that they carry it at Wholesale, and I think Wally world has it too.

troutdude
troutdude
I did go to Wholesale Sports. Maybe they were out when I was there? I go by Wallyworld once in a while. I'll try there too. Thanks Auto.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I have not tried the magnum eggs very much but normally use the gulp eggs with a small mosquito hook and two eggs, sometimes three if that is what the fish want! The gulp out fishes everything we have tried. The gulp trout worms work just as good or better than the regular powerbait trout worms as well. ;)

troutdude
troutdude
BUMP

Since this thread has gotten over 5,000 views...I thought it might be good to bring it back to the surface again. <pun intended...LOL>.

B
bassman503
ive been fishing for trout for a long time and ive always had more bites and more fish with powerbait. messy but its the best imo

troutdude
troutdude
Have you tried the Power Eggs?

Like was said, they stay on the hook forever which allows you to catch multiple fish (and pay less for your bait). Plus, they aren't at all messy like Power Bait. And there were some other good points mentioned by others who posted.