Pot pullers.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I picked up a couple of lightweight pot pullers yesterday that were so cheap I couldn't pass them up.
I intend to mount one of them on my boat.
The trick is gonna be figuring out how to do so.
My boat is just an aluminum jon boat type. I think I'll need a foot plate across between the ribs but the real trick will be the gunwale brace.
I'm also considering how to make it so the upper part can be quickly removed Maybe with a single pin to pull. I think if I can find a short piece of tube that will fit either inside or over the tube it's made of I'll make it work.
Anyway, if anyone has helpful suggestions, I'll give them consideration.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
When I saw "pot pullers"...I thought that might be a topic, for a whole different forum. :D :D :D

Admin
Admin
You mean poker players? )

troutdude
troutdude
Sure; that'll work El Capitan. LOL

But we digress. Good luck w/ your project Plumbertom.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Do thy have a flat plate base to them already? Or are they just pieces pipe?

plumbertom
plumbertom
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net\/v\/t1.0-9\/28279892_10208527199377301_393437270917119361_n.jpg?oh=479883f98136f067e79a78897dde6dcc&oe=5B445E2B"}[/IMG2]This would be the one I'm not using but the one I intend to use is about the same just a longer lower section.

D
DrTheopolis
That's a "davit."

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
The angle of the davit might be enough so that you could have it rest against the gunwale/cap/side of your boat and then have the foot sit on your deck plate. Maybe place a piece of seaboard, rubber strip, neoprene, or plastic like material on the davit where it will rub against the boat to mitigate scratching. Then for the base attachment a couple of pieces of angle attached to your deck plate that it could slip in and out of? Then you could use one of the existing holes for a quick pin if you desire. That sort of a set up would only allow you to have the davit face directly outboard though, and you would need to have some sort of deck plate above the bottom of your boat.

I know some Jon boats have oar locks. If you have a motor as your main source of propulsion you might be able to set something up on the deck of the boat and use the oar lock as your upper support....as long as the rower seat is out of the way.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I think I have it worked out.
I cut off the foot plate and inserted the tube into a piece of 1-1/2 ABS plastic pipe that I heated to expand it a little so the tube would fit into it a ways.
A little grease and it will swing just fine if tightly. Use will no doubt loosen it some, and if it needs replacing ABS is cheap.
I'll brace the end of the ABS across the boat side ribs, a little more heat and I can bend the ABS so the part holding the davit will be straight up or very near so, and secure it to the gunwale and at the bottom with 1-1/2 pipe clamps.
It'll be ugly as a mud fence but it will do the job.
I should have just seen it this way from the beginning considering I was a plumber.

Reactions: Admin