Probably the dumbest question you'll read all day....

D
dub
I want to buy a small aluminum boat and hook an electric trolling motor up to it. Get the motor, connect the battery, hook to the boat....no problem. So here's the question....

Are these kinds of batteries rechargeable? What happens if/when you run the motor so long the battery dies? Sorry guys...I've clearly never had an electric motor and dont know how this works.

Reactions: Raincatcher
P
pinstriper
Not rechargeable. You buy them 6 at a time at Costco.

Reactions: Raincatcher
EOBOY
EOBOY
Ignore mark he knows nothing about boats or motors!:D Just how to bum rides in boats. The batteries will last 4 or 5 hours on a charge. I have an 80 lb. thrust I use on my DB. If the batteries die your paddling never had that problem. I use mine mostly for crabbing in the bays, as a matter of fact going tomorrow. It does take some time to recharge them though.

C_Run
C_Run
I was way up the Quartzville arm of Green Peter once and these kids in a small boat came limping in to the bank with their trolling motor battery about dead. After a brief election, one kid had a long walk back to Whitcomb. So, moral of the story, you might want two batteries and make sure they are charged.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
You could always skip the electric motor and go strait to a small gas kicker ;)

D
dub
Thanks all...well, most of the "all". :D I figured they just recharged...but wasn't 100% sure. Trolling is the way I want to go, as I'll only be using it on the Tualatin to putt around fishing. Too many docks/trees to go fast, and I'd rather move quietly.

P
pinstriper
My answer was in the spirit of "ask a dumb question, get a dumb answer".

Of course they are rechargeable. How long they last depends on how big a battery, and how powerful a motor, and how much you use it.

How long they take to recharge depends on the battery itself, it's capacity, how far down you drew it, and of course the charger.

plumbertom
plumbertom
On the subject of batteries.
They do make batteries that are specifically designed for trolling motor usage.
As to how well they last I can't attest as I've always used deep cycle high amp batteries.
One thing I will pass along, Get a battery maintenance charger or Battery tender.
The $25 for a Battery Tender Jr. will pay for itself by keeping your $100 trolling motor battery ready to go for much longer than shelf storing it and charging it when you want to go.

EOBOY
EOBOY
plumbertom;n607013 said:
One thing I will pass along, Get a battery maintenance charger or Battery tender.
The $25 for a Battery Tender Jr. will pay for itself by keeping your $100 trolling motor battery

Don't buy anything with less than a 105 ah @ 20hr AMG battery. Thats 105 amp hours for 20 hours.

shammer

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
OK here is some info for you on how long a battery will last on the subject of reserve time and other stuff. Reserve time is figured at 70 f. with a NEW and FULLY charged battery and how long it will last at a fixed 25 amp draw without taking the battery below 10 1/2 v. In batteries you get what you pay for. Figure you amp drain and divide that into your reserve time and it will give you how long your battery will last ON AVERAGE. Second, carry some oars with you. When you let your battery sit in the winter, figure it will loose on average 1/2 of 1% per day just sitting. The old adage that you have to set a battery on wood to keep it from discharging is just that an old adage. What will cause your battery to discharge faster is if it has a lot of dirt or moisture on top of it, that dirt/moisture carries voltage...take a volt meter and put it on top of a battery that is charged and has dust/moisture on it. Measure the voltage without touching the posts. If it is bad enough it will have voltage and it is going.straight to ground. Charging time, pretty easy ....if you are charging at 1 amp a 105 amp hour battery will take you 105 hours to completely charge from a fully dishcarged battery, that is below 10.5 volts and not sulfated or 1 hour charge time for every amp hour rating. You can add liquid to almost all battery's, there is usually a removable cap below that sticker on top. Do not top off your battery above the chimney, that piece of plastic hanging down inside the cell and either use battery acid or DISTILLED water. DO NOT USE TAP WATER as it has chemicals in it that will shorten your battery life. What you take out your must return, think of your battery as a bucket of water, to keep it full you have to fill it. A fully charged battery is about 13.5 volts or a little better depending on your battery. A battery with 12 v. in it is almost MT. There is more but this is the basics of it, I will back this up with the information that I worked in a battery warehouse/sales store for 3 years and that was all I did was battery's Battery's have changed but the basics is still the same.

Reactions: colt