Electric trolling motor question!

D
DrTheopolis
That Riptide will serve you VERY well. Get the biggest batteries you can afford (if you need any advice/help with the wiring/setup, let me know -- I worked in the lead/acid battery field for almost a decade). Get the biggest dual charger you can afford (5 amps per side is a little slow, 10 is great, but you'll find a big difference in price. You can also swap wires around and use an automotive charger in parallel... been there, done that). A charger made for that purpose will make you happier (waterproof).

Running the DB on the motor sounds easy. It's not. A DB has such little draw, it sits on the surface and turns on a dime. But I'm sure the learning curve won't be too steep for you. Add in river currents, and you'll be surprised how difficult holding it straight is.

You're going to be a fishin' machine on the coastal streams. Will work well on the Clack, too, without killing yourself pulling plugs.

Congrats.

D
DrTheopolis
Another thing -- if you put a piece of old linoleum/something similar over the transom before you mount it, it will vibrate less and be even quieter (and less likely to vibrate loose -- always check the clamps periodocally, and keep them very tight).

EOBOY
EOBOY
DrTheopolis said:
Another thing -- if you put a piece of old linoleum/something similar over the transom before you mount it, it will vibrate less and be even quieter (and less likely to vibrate loose -- always check the clamps periodocally, and keep them very tight).

Doc;

I like that idea, good one. I have a 30# for my canoe and it tends to slide because there is not a keel on it, being a river canoe. There are marks from what I guess was a gas engine on the transom on the DB. The motor will give Ben and I a greater range of use's. And to put a gas motor on we would have to remove the anchor system on the back of the boat. Although it is only two bolts so not a real problem.

EOBOY

EOBOY
EOBOY
DrTheopolis said:
That Riptide will serve you VERY well. Get the biggest batteries you can afford (if you need any advice/help with the wiring/setup, let me know -- I worked in the lead/acid battery field for almost a decade). Get the biggest dual charger you can afford (5 amps per side is a little slow, 10 is great, but you'll find a big difference in price. You can also swap wires around and use an automotive charger in parallel... been there, done that). A charger made for that purpose will make you happier (waterproof).

Running the DB on the motor sounds easy. It's not. A DB has such little draw, it sits on the surface and turns on a dime. But I'm sure the learning curve won't be too steep for you. Add in river currents, and you'll be surprised how difficult holding it straight is.

You're going to be a fishin' machine on the coastal streams. Will work well on the Clack, too, without killing yourself pulling plugs.

Congrats.

I was checking out how to wire it so yes your help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure I understand all the charger and wiring stuff. Checked the 2 batts. I have and they both rate the same for AMPS which I hear is crucial. So I should have something to start with.