One sheet plywood boat!

W
WillamiteNewbie
I saw this cool little video and made me say "hey i want to make that!" i'm pretty stoked. for like a pond or calm lake. but it seems a little tippy so i'm thinking maybe a little outrigger for it to steady it? idk give me inputs on how i could make this better. i just want something that will get me off the shore for less than 100 bucks. and if i make it good it won't leak and it floats just fine. just want to make it more steady in the water. (as you can see i have like no money) life of a college student...

T
troutmasta
Absolutely Radical!

T
tomriker
looks like a wet afternoon waiting to happen...

H
Hendo30
NOt for me..lol....thanks for sharing though. Maybe when I lose some weight.hahahaha

W
WillamiteNewbie
hey why you have to rain on someones parade. i think this is a perfect way for someone who doesn't have a lot of money to get off the shore and get their line wet. obviously not for big fish but for trout and the smaller fishes. i'm excited to do it. it also makes it fun that i built it with my own two hands.

T
tomriker
Wasn't knockin it... Just sayin lol. I think I would double, no triple the size lol

W
WillamiteNewbie
naaa i'm cool with the size. i definatly want to put an outrigger out of the side to steady the boat a little more. jimmy rig a rod holder, cup holder, and a spot for some gear and lunch i'm good to go lol. just got to use a bunch of silicone caulk.

T
TTFishon
I think it could use a bit more support and a lot more caulk. I think it could also do without the window in the bottom of the boat.

R
rippin fish lips
TTFishon said:
I think it could use a bit more support and a lot more caulk. I think it could also do without the window in the bottom of the boat.

yeah

S
steel Head
I have a Pvc raft that is a great way to get off the banks. let me know if your interested in it im asking 75 bones but can work with ya. i wouldnt trust a plywood boat belive trust me i have pulled more than one person out of the water that made their own boat. U.S.C.G Vet

W
WillamiteNewbie
steel Head said:
I have a Pvc raft that is a great way to get off the banks. let me know if your interested in it im asking 75 bones but can work with ya. i wouldnt trust a plywood boat belive trust me i have pulled more than one person out of the water that made their own boat. U.S.C.G Vet

no thanks mayne. i'de rather build it, it just makes it that much better. and i'm not gonna drown? obviously i'm not gonna take this in water that has a current. strictly lake/ponds only. for calm days. it's just gonna be a fun weekend project i think. and if it's a bust? no big deal.

T
troutmasta
Im building one for my buddy's pond, let ya know how it goes

D
Darthbeans
I would think that with the cost of decent ACX plywood and misc mats and the time.....you just bought a toon which i would trust a lot more. Like TR said looks like a wet day to me but have fun for sure and pics when its done :)

J
JeannaJigs
Lol wayyy too small for my comfort level, but then again I'm used to my comparatively very wide bottom driftboat. I've come to appreciate that width=stability.

Would be cool to build your own boat though. I'd seal the crap out of it though, use marine grade wood, and a marine grade varnish to seal it in addition to about 20 tubes of caulking.

Look forward to seeing your progress if you do it

Reactions: steel Head
H
hawgcaller
Hope you can swim. lol

Reactions: steel Head
H
hawgslayer
I built a sheet and a half boat this past winter that I've taken down many local creeks here on the coast for steelhead. It's made out of 1.5 sheets of 1/4" plywood, x4 8' 2x2 furring strips, good screws, 1 tube of marine caulk and half gallon of coat-it epoxy. This thing is a beast. It actually handles bigger creek water pretty well, and with the bottom epoxied it'll slide over it's fair share of rocks and gravel bars too. The only thing I wish I would've done was made a heavy chine rail instead of nailing the bottom and side together. Have fun with the 1 sheet !!! For the cost of the extra sheet ( $15 ) I would do it because it creates SO much more versatility, but either way it's all about doing it yourself !!! IMG_2621.jpgIMG_6275.jpgIMG_7818.jpg

W
WillamiteNewbie
hawgslayer said:
I built a sheet and a half boat this past winter that I've taken down many local creeks here on the coast for steelhead. It's made out of 1.5 sheets of 1/4" plywood, x4 8' 2x2 furring strips, good screws, 1 tube of marine caulk and half gallon of coat-it epoxy. This thing is a beast. It actually handles bigger creek water pretty well, and with the bottom epoxied it'll slide over it's fair share of rocks and gravel bars too. The only thing I wish I would've done was made a heavy chine rail instead of nailing the bottom and side together. Have fun with the 1 sheet !!! For the cost of the extra sheet ( $15 ) I would do it because it creates SO much more versatility, but either way it's all about doing it yourself !!!

Question! how do you bend the wood like that to make it rounded on the side? also could you give me an entire supplies list? and plans? how long did it take? haha how much for the cost of everything? sorry for all the questions i just really want to build something by myself. the one sheet boat looks like fun but if the 1 1/2 sheet boat doesn't cost that much more i want to do it haha.

J
JeannaJigs
hawgslayer said:
I built a sheet and a half boat this past winter that I've taken down many local creeks here on the coast for steelhead. It's made out of 1.5 sheets of 1/4" plywood, x4 8' 2x2 furring strips, good screws, 1 tube of marine caulk and half gallon of coat-it epoxy. This thing is a beast. It actually handles bigger creek water pretty well, and with the bottom epoxied it'll slide over it's fair share of rocks and gravel bars too. The only thing I wish I would've done was made a heavy chine rail instead of nailing the bottom and side together. Have fun with the 1 sheet !!! For the cost of the extra sheet ( $15 ) I would do it because it creates SO much more versatility, but either way it's all about doing it yourself !!!

aw damn that's an impressive little mini drifter! Now THAT is something I can wrap my mind around actually fishing from. That dinky little dingy made in the OP video wouldn't last a minute on moving water.

H
hawgslayer
WillamiteNewbie said:
Question! how do you bend the wood like that to make it rounded on the side? also could you give me an entire supplies list? and plans? how long did it take? haha how much for the cost of everything? sorry for all the questions i just really want to build something by myself. the one sheet boat looks like fun but if the 1 1/2 sheet boat doesn't cost that much more i want to do it haha.

The wood will naturally bend like that once you get all of you angles cut on your sides and anchored to your bow stem and transom. After that you put braces widthwise across your gunnels and that will give you the taper down to your bottom. I have the pdf for the plans. PM me your email address and I'll send it over. I modified the plans by making the sides higher by 4 inches all the way around. I also made a DB style seat, and added and anchor system that I made to scraps around the shop. Like I said I've taken down a bunch of creeks when the water levels permit, and it does pretty darn good in the swift water. The whole build cost me about $175 including the 6ft canoe oars I got at bi-mart in the clearance bin. Here are some more pictures of the build.

IMG_0013.jpgIMG_0014.jpgIMG_0015.jpgIMG_0016.jpgIMG_0024.jpgIMG_1349.jpgIMG_1510.jpg

H
hawgslayer
JeannaJigs said:
aw damn that's an impressive little mini drifter! Now THAT is something I can wrap my mind around actually fishing from. That dinky little dingy made in the OP video wouldn't last a minute on moving water.

Yeah it's a blast. Got pretty sketchy once when I got sucked into a big hole at the head of a set, but it just spun me around real quick. Didn't even get wet. I've got GoPro footage of it !!