Waldo area

S
smokie
My wife and I will be camping at North Waldo Lake campground the first week in September. I would like to hike to a nearby lake for some fishing maybe 5 miles or less round trip. Any suggestions.

G
Gulfstream
only thing I can tell you is we went there about 2 months ago and there were MILLIONS of mosquitoes

K
killigan
Charlton Lake is close to Waldo, so not far of a hike. But, there is a trail that goes around the lake (at least halfway, as that is as far as I have been on the trail) and it can be a nice hike, with fishing options as well. You can drive and park close to the lake, or hike from your camp spot at Waldo, depending on where you are staying at.
Mosquito's can be relentless, but usually later in August (about this time) there are less to have to deal with. Cheers!

Troutski
Troutski
Sorry I am so late in my response, been out of commission for a few months. There is no need to look for somewhere else to catch fish, Waldo is filled with Brookies and Koke's. The trick is where to locate them, being this is a natural lake it must be fished differently than a res.. This lake is a perfect place for a small boat or canoe. Cruse the shore line and watch for submersed rocks and islands, trust me there are plenty of fish for the person that uses these practices. Natural lakes pose a problem for most of us (res. anglers) due the way these fish hunt and spawn in these lakes. It is so different than what we normally see and do. The wind can be a true fiend and a curse on Waldo, the wind will tell you where the submersed structure is located, fish like to hide and wait for the wind blown food to arrive. It is a very large lake to navigate because the ban on gas powered craft restricts how far you can navigate before you run out of time. Be calm and use your knowledge you already have, feel free to ask more questions if you more information. I am truly here for you to be successful in your quest... this lake has a reputation of being a dead lake, far from it... a untapped resource...

Chuck

• Waldo Koke.JPG
  • Waldo brookie.JPG
Reactions: Aervax and TheKnigit
T
twout
Wow Chuck,
All I have ever heard is the fishing sucks! One of the reasons I have never visited. Those two look great. Now considering a trip this summer.

Troutski
Troutski
Most people have the same reaction when it comes to Waldo, it is quite the drive to even get your boat in the water but it is truly a wonderful fishery.
There are some real trophy Brookies in this water, my personal best came from this lake.

Chuck

Troutski
Troutski
These fish need to be out there, next time you have a chance to visit this lake ... do take it...

Chuck

T
twout
When was that Kokanee caught?

Troutski
Troutski
Most of my angling in Waldo is in the Fall, mainly because there are no Skeeters. I do fish it any time I get a chance, but the Spring and Summer are a blood bath. Not only are the fish absolutely beautiful but the place you are in gives you a whole new meaning of the word...
I am telling you, don't pass this Oregon Jewel up....

Chuck

L
Lloyd
Troutski said:
Most of my angling in Waldo is in the Fall, mainly because there are no Skeeters. I do fish it any time I get a chance, but the Spring and Summer are a blood bath. Not only are the fish absolutely beautiful but the place you are in gives you a whole new meaning of the word...
I am telling you, don't pass this Oregon Jewel up....

Chuck
My son and I will be spending a week at Waldo lake in a couple weeks, canoeing and camping, We plan to do some fishing, and would appreciate any suggestions for fishing gear to bring along. I am thinking that we might try trolling for the Kokos, but wondering about how to go after the Brookies. Any suggestions?

Lloyd

Troutski
Troutski
Good day Lloyd;
This time of the year I would try the south end for the Brookies. There is a nice boat ramp near the camp ground, try the rocky edges of the lake, as far away from the ramp as possible. There is a small island about a 1/2 mile from the ramp, plenty of structure to fish. I like small lures ( 1/4 to 1/3 oz) spoons to be honest, fish just like any other natural lake.
The Brookies are quite aggressive on the take so be ready for a fight. Trolling a wedding ring with a tip of a night crawler plus a drop of your favorite smelly stuff should bring the Kokes in. Check the bag limit before you fish and have a great day on the water.. one more thing, Skeeters The Size Of Small Birds.. just saying..

Chuck

PhoFish
PhoFish
Gulfstream said:
only thing I can tell you is we went there about 2 months ago and there were MILLIONS of mosquitoes
ahh just like home in MN before I moved to OR. It was a nice thought to be rid of those birds once and for all by moving here.. guess not.

Troutski
Troutski
PhoFish said:
ahh just like home in MN before I moved to OR. It was a nice thought to be rid of those birds once and for all by moving here.. guess not.
PhoFish you must be a Walleye angler.. I have always wanted to fish for them and to have a shore lunch of a fresh catch, on my bucket list.
The skeeters are bad in the late morning and evening, if you are in a boat before 7:30am the blood loss is very low.

Chuck

PhoFish
PhoFish
Hey Chuck, I do enjoy fishing for Walleye, but have never done a shore lunch! I have been out on Lake of the Woods in Minnesota along the Canadian border and taken some nice walleye out though!

Unfortunately I am shore bound here in Oregon. I understand warm water fish.. but these trout escape me.. I have to be doing something wrong!

Troutski
Troutski
Where do you live... I'm in the Willamette Valley and the Trout and other cold water fish are plentiful, there are a few lakes in and around that have a pretty good population of Big Eyes. I just don't have the first idea how to track and capture one.
Lake Of The Woods is a very famous place, I use to watch a TV show that featured Minnesota: ie Pike, Muskies, Walleyes and some great Small Mouths... it was on my bucket list of places to fish but life has shortened my list a bit.
If by chance you find yourself in my area let me know....

Chuck

PhoFish
PhoFish
I live in Hillsboro.... so I have spent time up on the Wilson.. perhaps too far upstream.. Jones CC and some of the pullouts further down. I have seen fish hanging in the pools, but they seem skittish and haven't even looked at anything that I have tossed at them.

I had no idea that LotW was that famous. We were down-rigging plugs at 30 ft and drifting night crawlers as well... the bottom there is expansive, flat and right around 30 feet. I see here in OR that we cannot use Leeches? That was my go to bait for walleye when fishing local twin cities lakes.. that or crawlers, though I have friends that swear by only jigging minnows. Maybe this late in the summer, look deep by structures or in highly shaded areas. I know around the twin cities, it was either at dusk or dawn that you caught the big eyes... it was only when up north that it would be an all day trolling affair.. many times getting our limit by 11 am.

I am not sure where the Willamette valley is to be honest, though I think I've had wine from there. I have only been really as far as Harriet Lake to the southeast. I am thinking to try Duffy or something - I would try coastal streams, but that seems overwhelming... the sheer amount of places to go and the whole pulloff a 55mph road when you are being tailed is nerve-wracking to say the least - much different than MN lakes haha.

Thanks for the tip on the valley, I will have to research more.

Mike

Reactions: Troutski